PDA

View Full Version : In Memoriam: Arthur C. Clarke

WJRFlyBoy
March 20th 08, 10:46 AM
http://tinyurl.com/2vwes4

by Harry Dacre, 1892

There is a flower
Within my heart,
Daisy, Daisy!
Planted one day
By a glancing dart,
Planted by Daisy Bell!
Whether she loves me
Or loves me not,
Sometimes it's hard to tell;
Yet I am longing to share the lot -
Of beautiful Daisy Bell!

Daisy, Daisy,
Give me your answer do!
I'm half crazy,
All for the love of you!
It won't be a stylish marriage,
I can't afford a carriage
But you'll look sweet upon the seat
Of a bicycle made for two.

We will go 'tandem'
As man and wife,
Daisy, Daisy!
'Peddling' away
Down the road of life,
I and my Daisy Bell!
When the road's dark
We can both despise
P'licemen and 'lamps' as well;
There are 'bright lightsą
In the dazzling eyes
Of beautiful Daisy Bell!

Daisy, Daisy,
Give me your answer do!
I'm half crazy,
All for the love of you!
It won't be a stylish marriage,
I can't afford a carriage
But you'll look sweet upon the seat
Of a bicycle made for two.

I will stand by you
In 'weal' or woe,
["weal" means prosperity] Daisy, Daisy!
You'll be the bell(e)
Which I'll ring you know!
Sweet little Daisy Bell!
You'll take the 'lead'
In each 'trip' we take,
Then if I don't do well,
I will permit you to
Use the brake,
My beautiful Daisy Bell!
--
Remove numbers for gmail and for God's sake it ain't "gee" either!
I hesitate to add to this discussion because I'm not an instructor,

stol
March 21st 08, 12:04 AM
On Mar 20, 4:46*am, WJRFlyBoy > wrote:
> http://tinyurl.com/2vwes4
>
> by Harry Dacre, 1892
>
> There is a flower
> Within my heart,
> Daisy, Daisy!
> Planted one day
> By a glancing dart,
> Planted by Daisy Bell!
> Whether she loves me
> Or loves me not,
> Sometimes it's hard to tell;
> Yet I am longing to share the lot -
> Of beautiful Daisy Bell!
>
> Daisy, Daisy,
> Give me your answer do!
> I'm half crazy,
> All for the love of you!
> It won't be a stylish marriage,
> I can't afford a carriage
> But you'll look sweet upon the seat
> Of a bicycle made for two.
>
> We will go 'tandem'
> As man and wife,
> Daisy, Daisy!
> 'Peddling' away
> Down the road of life,
> I and my Daisy Bell!
> When the road's dark
> We can both despise
> P'licemen and 'lamps' as well;
> There are 'bright lightsą
> In the dazzling eyes
> Of beautiful Daisy Bell!
>
> Daisy, Daisy,
> Give me your answer do!
> I'm half crazy,
> All for the love of you!
> It won't be a stylish marriage,
> I can't afford a carriage
> But you'll look sweet upon the seat
> Of a bicycle made for two.
>
> I will stand by you
> In 'weal' or woe,
> ["weal" means prosperity] Daisy, Daisy!
> You'll be the bell(e)
> Which I'll ring you know!
> Sweet little Daisy Bell!
> You'll take the 'lead'
> In each 'trip' we take,
> Then if I don't do well,
> I will permit you to
> Use the brake,
> My beautiful Daisy Bell!
> --
> Remove numbers for gmail and for God's sake it ain't "gee" either!
> I hesitate to add to this discussion because I'm not an instructor,
> just a rather slow student who's not qualified to give advice that
> might kill someone.

I was involved in the C-Band satellite revolution back in the late
70's/ early 80's during its start. If it were not for Mr Clark that
would not have happened. In fact if you analyze life, alotof where
mankind is today if a result of his visions. He was a great man....

Godspeed to him.

Ben Haas
www.haaspowerair.com
N801BH

WJRFlyBoy
March 21st 08, 01:39 AM
On Thu, 20 Mar 2008 17:04:16 -0700 (PDT), stol wrote:

> I was involved in the C-Band satellite revolution back in the late
> 70's/ early 80's during its start. If it were not for Mr Clark that
> would not have happened. In fact if you analyze life, alotof where
> mankind is today if a result of his visions. He was a great man....
>
> Godspeed to him.
>
> Ben Haas
> www.haaspowerair.com
> N801BH

He died in Sri Lanka and, as always, it was the 18th most places, the
19th where he was. Always ahead of us :)
--
Remove numbers for gmail and for God's sake it ain't "gee" either!
I hesitate to add to this discussion because I'm not an instructor,
just a rather slow student who's not qualified to give advice that
might kill someone.

Bob Fry
March 21st 08, 02:26 PM
I read a lot of sci-fi as a kid and he was the best. Better writer
than Heinlin but not as prolific. He influenced many, many people I'm
sure.
--
We must be willing to let go of the life we have planned, so as to
have the life that is waiting for us.

Lawrence
March 21st 08, 04:34 PM
It's unfair to compare. I have an extensive collection of Sci-Fi, and I
often re-read the big three Heinlien was my first, Asimov was great but
published some real crap when he got to believe his own hype, Clarke was the
master of continuity and detail, both of the physical and spiritual. His
worlds are the truest and best and he had the largest impact on the real
world, far larger than Asimov. A great mind, and a great author.

"Bob Fry" > wrote in message
>I read a lot of sci-fi as a kid and he was the best. Better writer
> than Heinlin but not as prolific. He influenced many, many people I'm
> sure.
> --
> We must be willing to let go of the life we have planned, so as to
> have the life that is waiting for us.
> ~ Joseph Campbell

WJRFlyBoy
March 21st 08, 04:42 PM
On Fri, 21 Mar 2008 13:34:24 -0300, Lawrence wrote:

> It's unfair to compare. I have an extensive collection of Sci-Fi, and I
> often re-read the big three Heinlien was my first, Asimov was great but
> published some real crap when he got to believe his own hype, Clarke was the
> master of continuity and detail, both of the physical and spiritual. His
> worlds are the truest and best and he had the largest impact on the real
> world, far larger than Asimov. A great mind, and a great author.

I was told that to best see Clarke's brilliance, read Heinlien. I never
did. Got talked into Tolkein. Mistake, ymmv.
--
Remove numbers for gmail and for God's sake it ain't "gee" either!
I hesitate to add to this discussion because I'm not an instructor,
just a rather slow student who's not qualified to give advice that
might kill someone.

Lawrence
March 21st 08, 05:08 PM
"WJRFlyBoy" > wrote in message
.. .

> I was told that to best see Clarke's brilliance, read Heinlien. I never
> did. Got talked into Tolkein. Mistake, ymmv.
> --

That's interesting, I'd never heard that before. I'm not sure that any of
them is a true window into the others although it is likely that they were
aware of each others work. Indeed each of Asimov and Clarke would insist
that the other was a better writer. (Clarke-Asimov treaty). I reagrd them
each as best generation SF writers. The next iteration of authors is good,
but they seem somehow to lack the spark of true invention. The stuff today
is uninspiring for the most part to me, strange when we have not truly
discovered much, it seems they'd have more to work with as mankind discovers
so many more questions. But I have no room to talk, I can't write at all.

Jim Logajan
March 21st 08, 05:58 PM
"Lawrence" > wrote:
> "WJRFlyBoy" > wrote in message
> .. .
>>
>> I was told that to best see Clarke's brilliance, read Heinlien. I
>> never did. Got talked into Tolkein. Mistake, ymmv.
>> --
>
> That's interesting, I'd never heard that before.

News to me too. I've read Heinlein, Clarke, Asimov, and a host of others.

Heinlein did as good a job at the science as Clarke, IMHO - particularly in
his "juveniles". For example, Heinlein's explanation of space suit
requirements in "Have Space Suit, will Travel" was instructive to me when I
read it in my early teens. (The idea of a used rocket dealership in
"Rolling Stones" caught my fancy too. Man, where does one go to buy a good
used nuclear powered VTOL rocket when you want to go to Mars to picnic on
the edge of Valles Marineris?)

Steve Hix
March 21st 08, 06:00 PM
In article >,
"Lawrence" > wrote:

> "WJRFlyBoy" > wrote in message
> .. .
> >
> > I was told that to best see Clarke's brilliance, read Heinlien. I never
> > did. Got talked into Tolkein. Mistake, ymmv.
> > --
>
> That's interesting, I'd never heard that before. I'm not sure that any of
> them is a true window into the others although it is likely that they were
> aware of each others work. Indeed each of Asimov and Clarke would insist
> that the other was a better writer. (Clarke-Asimov treaty). I reagrd them
> each as best generation SF writers. The next iteration of authors is good,
> but they seem somehow to lack the spark of true invention. The stuff today
> is uninspiring for the most part to me, strange when we have not truly
> discovered much, it seems they'd have more to work with as mankind discovers
> so many more questions.

Having grown up during the 50s and 60s, and reading SF since I was 11 or
so, I'd have to say that "uninspiring for the most part" describes SF
(or any type of fiction, for that matter) during the 20s, 30s, 40s, 50s,
and so on to the present. Sturgeon's Law wasn't (and isn't) a joke.

What happens is that most of the dreck gets forgotten, certainly rarely
reprinted, and we eventually forget about it, remembering only the
better remainder. The same thing happens with antique furniture,
machines, etc etc etc. Once the cheap junk crumbles away, the best
remains, along with an unwarranted impression that "they did things
better back then, none of this cheap modern stuff, by jingo!"

Which gives us memories of a Golden Age that wasn't all that shiny when
it was happening. Our grandkids will likely say the same things about
right now, happily able to ignore the fluff and dross.

To pull things, kicking and screaming, into the aviation realm again;
there have been a lot of homebuilt designs over the years, but the ones
that stand out are the best, with the indifferent to poor being
abandoned and forgotten.

Well, except for some of the *really* bad stuff, mostly for their
entertainment, or frightening the kids, value.

Lawrence
March 21st 08, 07:05 PM