PDA

View Full Version : DB Cooper news

gatt[_2_]
March 26th 08, 12:13 AM
"AMBOY, Wash. - There could be a major break in the biggest crime mystery in
Northwest history.The FBI in Seattle is beginning analysis of a long-buried
parachute - the same type used by skyjacker D.B. Cooper when he jumped from
an Northwest Orient Airlines 727 with a 25 pound money bag containing
200-thousand dollars ransom on Thanksgiving eve 1971."

http://www.koin.com/content/news/topstories/story.aspx?content_id=c8cdd7ec-23d8-4c3d-8dfd-b3d4851101a4

A buried parachute suggests he lived?

Ron Wanttaja
March 26th 08, 12:44 AM
On Tue, 25 Mar 2008 17:13:50 -0700, "gatt" > wrote:

> "AMBOY, Wash. - There could be a major break in the biggest crime mystery in
> Northwest history.The FBI in Seattle is beginning analysis of a long-buried
> parachute - the same type used by skyjacker D.B. Cooper when he jumped from
> an Northwest Orient Airlines 727 with a 25 pound money bag containing
> 200-thousand dollars ransom on Thanksgiving eve 1971."
>
> http://www.koin.com/content/news/topstories/story.aspx?content_id=c8cdd7ec-23d8-4c3d-8dfd-b3d4851101a4
>
> A buried parachute suggests he lived?

Depends on how one defines "buried." If they find that the chute had been (for
example) stuffed in a garbage bag prior to going underground, that certainly
implies that the owner of the chute survived.

If you think about it, an opened parachute (especially one attached to a dead
person) is going to drape across the surface, not burrow below it. And if the
owner WAS dead, there should be bones, etc. at the site where the chute was
recovered.

Ron Wanttaja

Larry Dighera
March 26th 08, 12:52 AM
wrote:

>"AMBOY, Wash. - There could be a major break in the biggest crime mystery in
>Northwest history.The FBI in Seattle is beginning analysis of a long-buried
>parachute - the same type used by skyjacker D.B. Cooper when he jumped from
>an Northwest Orient Airlines 727 with a 25 pound money bag containing
>200-thousand dollars ransom on Thanksgiving eve 1971."
>
>http://www.koin.com/content/news/topstories/story.aspx?content_id=c8cdd7ec-23d8-4c3d-8dfd-b3d4851101a4

Interesting. It could be a spoof, but who knows?

>A buried parachute suggests he lived?

In 1980, a family on a picnic found 58-hundred dollars of the loot
on a Columbia River beach, near Vancouver. How it got there is
another mystery. Some scientists believed the money bag traveled
down the Washougal River, which is upstream from the beach, miles
from where this parachute was recently found.

One quarter of the ransom suggests he died?

Perhaps he survived the jump, but succommed to the elements?

Have you any more specific idea of the distance between the 'chute
find site, and the money beach site?

muff528
March 26th 08, 01:48 AM
"Larry Dighera" > wrote in message
> On Tue, 25 Mar 2008 17:13:50 -0700, "gatt" >
> wrote:
>

>>"AMBOY, Wash. - There could be a major break in the biggest crime mystery
>>in
>>Northwest history.The FBI in Seattle is beginning analysis of a
>>long-buried
>>parachute - the same type used by skyjacker D.B. Cooper when he jumped
>>from
>>an Northwest Orient Airlines 727 with a 25 pound money bag containing
>>200-thousand dollars ransom on Thanksgiving eve 1971."
>>
>>http://www.koin.com/content/news/topstories/story.aspx?content_id=c8cdd7ec-23d8-4c3d-8dfd-b3d4851101a4
>>

> Interesting. It could be a spoof, but who knows?
>

>>A buried parachute suggests he lived?
>>
> In 1980, a family on a picnic found 58-hundred dollars of the loot
> on a Columbia River beach, near Vancouver. How it got there is
> another mystery. Some scientists believed the money bag traveled
> down the Washougal River, which is upstream from the beach, miles
> from where this parachute was recently found.
>
> One quarter of the ransom suggests he died?
>
> Perhaps he survived the jump, but succommed to the elements?
>
> Have you any more specific idea of the distance between the 'chute
> find site, and the money beach site?

I never had the opportunity to jump the jet at the World Free Fall
Convention but friends who did say that the exit from the 727 rear steps
into the relative wind is awesome. Even in controlled situations like this
the airspeed of the plane is substantially higher than normal jump-run/exit
speeds and provides for an unexpected surprise to a jumper who tries it for
the first time. My guess is that Cooper (wearing 1971-era equipment and a 25
lb sack of money) became unstable immediately after he stepped out and
simply lost the bag. He then likely opened his parachute and began kicking
himself in the butt and uttering a variety of expletives all the way to the
ground. Speculating further about the recently found gear........Maybe the
coyotes, buzzards and sasquatches just don't like nylon!

BS, TonyP

Matt W. Barrow
March 26th 08, 02:43 AM
"muff528" > wrote in message

>> Perhaps he survived the jump, but succommed to the elements?
> I never had the opportunity to jump the jet at the World Free Fall
> Convention but friends who did say that the exit from the 727 rear steps
> into the relative wind is awesome. Even in controlled situations like this
> the airspeed of the plane is substantially higher than normal
> jump-run/exit speeds and provides for an unexpected surprise to a jumper
> who tries it for the first time. My guess is that Cooper (wearing 1971-era
> equipment and a 25 lb sack of money) became unstable immediately after he
> stepped out and simply lost the bag. He then likely opened his parachute
> and began kicking himself in the butt and uttering a variety of expletives
> all the way to the ground. Speculating further about the recently found
> gear........Maybe the coyotes, buzzards and sasquatches just don't like
> nylon!

As well, didn't he jump at something like 15,000 feet? In November, in that
area, the temps had to be well below 0F. Also, did he NOT ask for special
clothing that would have helped him survive?

It was November in the Pacific Northwest, and Cooper was dressed in a normal
suit (IIRC). If he did survive the jump, he died shortly after landing of
exposure. Quite likely the carnivores had him for dinner.

WJRFlyBoy
March 26th 08, 06:22 AM
On Tue, 25 Mar 2008 17:13:50 -0700, gatt wrote:

> "AMBOY, Wash. - There could be a major break in the biggest crime mystery in
> Northwest history.The FBI in Seattle is beginning analysis of a long-buried
> parachute - the same type used by skyjacker D.B. Cooper when he jumped from
> an Northwest Orient Airlines 727 with a 25 pound money bag containing
> 200-thousand dollars ransom on Thanksgiving eve 1971."
>
> http://www.koin.com/content/news/topstories/story.aspx?content_id=c8cdd7ec-23d8-4c3d-8dfd-b3d4851101a4
>
> A buried parachute suggests he lived?

Facts:

FBI has had few national cases with such widespread publicity of their
failure.

The FBI released and reopened (they never close a case so they say) the
D. B. Cooper file.

Question: Why would the FBI go through the humiliation of another
failure/dead end?

Suggestion: The have the case solved (or enough disinfo to appear that
they have) and "victory" is firmly in grasp.

I, for one, trust that the FBI will not falsify evidence, will only
discover truth and, in the end, will humbly admit if their, doggone it,
best efforts come up empty.

YMBestV

March 26th 08, 09:49 PM
On Mar 25, 7:13*pm, "gatt" > wrote:
> "AMBOY, Wash. - There could be a major break in the biggest crime mystery in
> Northwest history.The FBI in Seattle is beginning analysis of a long-buried
> parachute - the same type used by skyjacker D.B. Cooper when he jumped from
> an Northwest Orient Airlines 727 with a 25 pound money bag containing
> 200-thousand dollars ransom on Thanksgiving eve 1971."
>
> http://www.koin.com/content/news/topstories/story.aspx?content_id=c8c...
>
> A buried parachute suggests he lived?

Or another attempt at "finding" a "lost treasure" that can be
auctioned off on Ebay.
A radio program caller mentioned someone named McCoy who pulled the
same hijack stunt, got $400k and landed in Provo Utah in 1972. He got
busted....

Cubdriver
March 31st 08, 09:07 PM
wrote:

>A buried parachute suggests he lived?

Well, it certainly suggests that some living person buried it.

One assumes that they sniffed around for a buried body in the
vicinity.

Blue skies! -- Dan Ford

Claire Chennault and His American Volunteers, 1941-1942
new from HarperCollins www.FlyingTigersBook.com

Capt. Geoffrey Thorpe
April 1st 08, 10:24 PM
"gatt" > wrote in message

> "AMBOY, Wash. - There could be a major break in the biggest crime mystery
> in Northwest history.The FBI in Seattle is beginning analysis of a
> long-buried parachute - the same type used by skyjacker D.B. Cooper when
> he jumped from an Northwest Orient Airlines 727 with a 25 pound money bag
> containing 200-thousand dollars ransom on Thanksgiving eve 1971."
>
> http://www.koin.com/content/news/topstories/story.aspx?content_id=c8cdd7ec-23d8-4c3d-8dfd-b3d4851101a4
>

> A buried parachute suggests he lived?

oops false alarm...

"The D.B. Cooper parachute was made of nylon, This 1945 parachute was made
of silk."

http://ap.google.com/article/ALeqM5j0blx2o4k5JfR-sED2saML8K3p_QD8VP7IB00

--
Geoff
The Sea Hawk at Wow Way d0t Com

Matt W. Barrow
April 1st 08, 10:35 PM
"Capt. Geoffrey Thorpe" <The Sea Hawk At Wow Way D0t C0m> wrote in message
news:_9SdnVWf7ZCJNW_anZ2dnUVZ_jKdnZ2d@wideopenwest .com...
> "gatt" > wrote in message
>>
>> "AMBOY, Wash. - There could be a major break in the biggest crime mystery
>> in Northwest history.The FBI in Seattle is beginning analysis of a
>> long-buried parachute - the same type used by skyjacker D.B. Cooper when
>> he jumped from an Northwest Orient Airlines 727 with a 25 pound money bag
>> containing 200-thousand dollars ransom on Thanksgiving eve 1971."
>>
>> http://www.koin.com/content/news/topstories/story.aspx?content_id=c8cdd7ec-23d8-4c3d-8dfd-b3d4851101a4
>>

>> A buried parachute suggests he lived?
>

> oops false alarm...
>
> "The D.B. Cooper parachute was made of nylon, This 1945 parachute was made
> of silk."
>
> http://ap.google.com/article/ALeqM5j0blx2o4k5JfR-sED2saML8K3p_QD8VP7IB00

From the article:
----------
"The D.B. Cooper parachute was made of nylon," he said. "This 1945 parachute
was made of silk."

FBI Agent Robert A. Burroughs in Seattle said Monday that agents had not
ruled out the possibility that the chute was from Cooper.

"We haven't made a determination one way or the other yet," Burroughs said.
"We're still in the process of finishing up what investigative steps we
think are necessary to feel certain about calling it one way or the other."

The FBI had launched a publicity campaign last fall, hoping to generate new
tips to solve the 36-year-old mystery.

Like they haven't got enough to do already?

Is someone's budget up for renewal? :~0

Google