PDA

View Full Version : Question here -(Sec. 61.109 Aeronautical experience)

Sushidot
March 27th 08, 05:01 PM
Hello-

I was totaling up my hours and I wanted to ask about item 5-iii here.
I have gone on two solo x-countries totaling over 5 hrs and two dual x
countries, one night and one day. The day one was 2 hours and the
night one was about the same.

First Q
Does the night+Day x/c training count towards 5-iii? Or do i need to
grab the instructor for an hour and do one seperate additional hour as
a formality for day x/c training?

----------------------^---------------------------------------
(5) 10 hours of solo flight time in a single-engine airplane,
consisting of at least--
(i) 5 hours of solo cross-country time;
(ii) One solo cross-country flight of at least 150 nautical miles
total distance, with full-stop landings at a minimum of three points,
and one segment of the flight consisting of a straight-line distance
of at least 50 nautical miles between the takeoff and landing
locations; and
(iii) Three takeoffs and three landings to a full stop (with each
landing involving a flight in the traffic pattern) at an airport with
an operating

Second Q
During my X/C solos, I did takeoffs and landings at a total of three
towered airports. Below it says that i need to have 3 TO/LDG at an
airport which is towered...is this intended for a seperate flight or
can it be encompassed into the solo x/c that I have already completed?
^--------------------------
(5) 10 hours of solo flight time in a single-engine airplane,
consisting of at least--
(i) 5 hours of solo cross-country time;
(ii) One solo cross-country flight of at least 150 nautical miles
total distance, with full-stop landings at a minimum of three points,
and one segment of the flight consisting of a straight-line distance
of at least 50 nautical miles between the takeoff and landing
locations; and
(iii) Three takeoffs and three landings to a full stop (with each
landing involving a flight in the traffic pattern) at an airport with
an operating
control tower.

Thanks
SD

BT
March 28th 08, 01:17 AM
Your CFI is your best resource for these answers.... but

Q1, Does the Day/night x-c training count for 5-iii.
No, Item 5 are "solo" requirements and the (iii) have nothing to do with the
cross country. But we presume you were dual on the x-c training flights you
mentioned, so the landings at towered airports do not count to fulfill the
5-iii requirements.

How does grabbing an instructor help fulfill solo requirements?, other than
having his approval for you to go complete the event.

Q2, Item 5-iii, The 3 SOLO take off and landings at a towered airport do not
have to be part of the cross country time and they can all be at the same
airport. The requirements in can be combined

Based on your post, you had one day x-c training flight and one night x-c
training flight of apx 2 hrs each time. That should fulfill the 61.109(a)(1)
for 3 hrs of x-c training, and if the night flight as at least 100nm total
distance (50 out and 50 return), then the night flight should fulfill
61.109(a)(2)(i).

The question that remains, during your two solo x-c to get over 5hrs,
61.109(a)(5)(i), was one of them involve 3 airports, with at least 150nm
total distance with the shortest leg of at least 50nm, for 61.109(a)(5)(ii).
And if all three airports were towered airports, then that would satisfy
61.109(a)(5)(iii).

BT

Google