PDA

View Full Version : Rod Machado's story about Henry

Little Endian
March 31st 08, 02:24 AM
I feel this kind of stuff is more useful in spinning a positive image
of GA:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=jYH0P1TArSA&feature=related

Dudley Henriques[_2_]
March 31st 08, 02:56 AM
Little Endian wrote:
> I feel this kind of stuff is more useful in spinning a positive image
> of GA:
>
> http://youtube.com/watch?v=jYH0P1TArSA&feature=related

I've known Rod for several years now and we communicate via email. I
make no bones about the fact that I like his "style" of teaching and
find him an invaluable asset to the GA community.
Rod uses a kind of "Dr. Phil" approach that some pilots find a bit over
done, but I for one, knowing his deep level of knowledge and skill as a
teacher, find what he does unique and extremely helpful to the flight
training community.
I recommend his books highly, and find his "talks" enlightening and
entertaining.
Rod has a unique way of getting people's attention and getting that
attention focused on flying airplanes.
He is one of the most highly respected instructors teaching today.

--
Dudley Henriques

March 31st 08, 04:04 AM

> I've known Rod for several years now and we communicate via email. I
> make no bones about the fact that I like his "style" of teaching and
> find him an invaluable asset to the GA community.
> Rod uses a kind of "Dr. Phil" approach that some pilots find a bit over
> done, but I for one, knowing his deep level of knowledge and skill as a
> teacher, find what he does unique and extremely helpful to the flight
> training community.
> I recommend his books highly, and find his "talks" enlightening and
> entertaining.
> Rod has a unique way of getting people's attention and getting that
> attention focused on flying airplanes.
> He is one of the most highly respected instructors teaching today.

Actually this is the first time I have seen him talk but he comes
across as someone with a deep passion for flying. I doubt anybody
would have a negative view of GA if they heard him talk like he did in
that clip. Actually some of the other guys who write for AOPA seem to
be very good too. I particularly like reading Barry Schiff's columns.
From my limited experience as a student, I feel that CFIs who consider
flying to be an art as opposed to a science appear to teach much
better. In that sense, my dream instructor would be Wolfgang
Langewiesche of Stick and Rudder fame.

Dudley Henriques[_2_]
March 31st 08, 04:21 AM
wrote:
>> I've known Rod for several years now and we communicate via email. I
>> make no bones about the fact that I like his "style" of teaching and
>> find him an invaluable asset to the GA community.
>> Rod uses a kind of "Dr. Phil" approach that some pilots find a bit over
>> done, but I for one, knowing his deep level of knowledge and skill as a
>> teacher, find what he does unique and extremely helpful to the flight
>> training community.
>> I recommend his books highly, and find his "talks" enlightening and
>> entertaining.
>> Rod has a unique way of getting people's attention and getting that
>> attention focused on flying airplanes.
>> He is one of the most highly respected instructors teaching today.
>
> Actually this is the first time I have seen him talk but he comes
> across as someone with a deep passion for flying. I doubt anybody
> would have a negative view of GA if they heard him talk like he did in
> that clip. Actually some of the other guys who write for AOPA seem to
> be very good too. I particularly like reading Barry Schiff's columns.
> From my limited experience as a student, I feel that CFIs who consider
> flying to be an art as opposed to a science appear to teach much
> better. In that sense, my dream instructor would be Wolfgang
> Langewiesche of Stick and Rudder fame.

Actually, very GOOD CFI's combine art and science using each as they fit
into a customized projection they use to teach an individual student.

Langewiesche was quite talented and in many ways ahead of his time. My
first exposure to a flying textbook was "Stick and Rudder". I still own
that copy today.
The main thing about S&R I always tell new students is that although
very good in it's day, there have been a lot of advancements in
aerodynamics and aircraft design that have made more modern updated
textbooks of much greater educational value to the student pilot.

--
Dudley Henriques

Dan[_10_]
March 31st 08, 01:20 PM
On Mar 30, 11:21 pm, Dudley Henriques > wrote:

> Langewiesche was quite talented and in many ways ahead of his time. My
> first exposure to a flying textbook was "Stick and Rudder". I still own
> that copy today.
> The main thing about S&R I always tell new students is that although
> very good in it's day, there have been a lot of advancements in
> aerodynamics and aircraft design that have made more modern updated
> textbooks of much greater educational value to the student pilot.
>
> --
> Dudley Henriques

Exactly -- it seems that S&R would be best read post PPL.

S&R forced me to really think about Angle of Attack in a way no other
experience had (in flight or not).

But -- it would get easy for a student to get bogged down in the later
chapters.

You gotta love the graphics with the pilot siting in these cavernous
cabins, dressed in a suit, hat, and smoking a pipe.

Dan Mc

Google