PDA

View Full Version : One Six Right.....

gliderguynj
April 7th 08, 03:08 PM
On the Discovery Channel HD there is a 90 minute documentary more or
less about the history of Vanuys Airport in California. It has some
of the most incredible air to air footage I've ever seen. It's well
worth the watch. Phil Boyer amongst others get to talk about General
Aviation and the challenges it is facing due to airports being
closed. We all know the issue well.....

Doug

April 7th 08, 03:41 PM
On Apr 7, 10:08 am, gliderguynj > wrote:
> On the Discovery Channel HD there is a 90 minute documentary more or
> less about the history of Vanuys Airport in California. It has some
> of the most incredible air to air footage I've ever seen. It's well
> worth the watch. Phil Boyer amongst others get to talk about General
> Aviation and the challenges it is facing due to airports being
> closed. We all know the issue well.....
>
> Doug

The DVD is available from most Aviation retailers (Sportys, JoePilot,
etc).

While the focus is on Van Nuys, it's a good overview of GA.

You're right -- the air to air work is amazing. There are several
awesome scenes, but the DC-3 on approach to touchdown is my favorite
-- very, very cool.

The companion DVD is ok, but not required.

Would be a good one to lend to those interested in becoming a pilot.

Dan Mc

Mike Gilmour[_2_]
April 7th 08, 04:08 PM
> wrote in message
> On Apr 7, 10:08 am, gliderguynj > wrote:
>> On the Discovery Channel HD there is a 90 minute documentary more or
>> less about the history of Vanuys Airport in California. It has some
>> of the most incredible air to air footage I've ever seen. It's well
>> worth the watch. Phil Boyer amongst others get to talk about General
>> Aviation and the challenges it is facing due to airports being
>> closed. We all know the issue well.....
>>
>> Doug
>
> The DVD is available from most Aviation retailers (Sportys, JoePilot,
> etc).
>
> While the focus is on Van Nuys, it's a good overview of GA.
>
> You're right -- the air to air work is amazing. There are several
> awesome scenes, but the DC-3 on approach to touchdown is my favorite
> -- very, very cool.
>
> The companion DVD is ok, but not required.
>
> Would be a good one to lend to those interested in becoming a pilot.
>

> Dan Mc

Ordered that CD a couple of days ago after reading the good feedback on
imdb. I'd be interested in any other recommendations of well filmed GA
DVD's.
TIA
Mike

Mike Gilmour[_2_]
April 7th 08, 04:09 PM
"Mike Gilmour" > wrote in message

> > wrote in message
>> On Apr 7, 10:08 am, gliderguynj > wrote:
>>> On the Discovery Channel HD there is a 90 minute documentary more or
>>> less about the history of Vanuys Airport in California. It has some
>>> of the most incredible air to air footage I've ever seen. It's well
>>> worth the watch. Phil Boyer amongst others get to talk about General
>>> Aviation and the challenges it is facing due to airports being
>>> closed. We all know the issue well.....
>>>
>>> Doug
>>
>> The DVD is available from most Aviation retailers (Sportys, JoePilot,
>> etc).
>>
>> While the focus is on Van Nuys, it's a good overview of GA.
>>
>> You're right -- the air to air work is amazing. There are several
>> awesome scenes, but the DC-3 on approach to touchdown is my favorite
>> -- very, very cool.
>>
>> The companion DVD is ok, but not required.
>>
>> Would be a good one to lend to those interested in becoming a pilot.
>>

>> Dan Mc
>

> Ordered that CD a couple of days ago after reading the good feedback on
> imdb. I'd be interested in any other recommendations of well filmed GA
> DVD's.
> TIA
> Mike

Meant DVD not CD..

Mxsmanic
April 7th 08, 09:35 PM
gliderguynj writes:

> On the Discovery Channel HD there is a 90 minute documentary more or
> less about the history of Vanuys Airport in California. It has some
> of the most incredible air to air footage I've ever seen. It's well
> worth the watch. Phil Boyer amongst others get to talk about General
> Aviation and the challenges it is facing due to airports being
> closed. We all know the issue well.....

_One Six Right_ is an excellent documentary, although I was a bit disappointed
to see how much it concentrated on the airport history and how little it
talked about general aviation and flying in general (I had been led to believe
that it placed a much greater emphasis on the essence of flying itself, but it
turned out to be a much more traditional documentary).

Ross
April 7th 08, 10:27 PM
Mxsmanic wrote:
> gliderguynj writes:
>
>> On the Discovery Channel HD there is a 90 minute documentary more or
>> less about the history of Vanuys Airport in California. It has some
>> of the most incredible air to air footage I've ever seen. It's well
>> worth the watch. Phil Boyer amongst others get to talk about General
>> Aviation and the challenges it is facing due to airports being
>> closed. We all know the issue well.....
>
> _One Six Right_ is an excellent documentary, although I was a bit disappointed
> to see how much it concentrated on the airport history and how little it
> talked about general aviation and flying in general (I had been led to believe
> that it placed a much greater emphasis on the essence of flying itself, but it
> turned out to be a much more traditional documentary).

One Six Right WAS about the history of the airport. That is why it was
made. Great show.

--

Regards, Ross
C-172F 180HP

Jay Honeck[_2_]
April 8th 08, 03:15 AM
> Would be a good one to lend to those interested in becoming a pilot.

We push "One Six Right" onto every hotel guest who even remotely shows an
interest in aviation. (All of our suites have DVD players, and we have a
very large collection of aviation-related movies available for free
viewing.)

It always wins rave reviews.

(BTW: The soundtrack CD is quite good, too.)
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Al[_2_]
April 8th 08, 03:40 AM
Every time I watch this show, it makes me proud and humble to be a pilot.

Al
Spokane, Wa
1964 Skyhawk

Ron
April 8th 08, 04:35 AM
On Mon, 7 Apr 2008 16:08:53 +0100, "Mike Gilmour"
> wrote:

> wrote in message
>> On Apr 7, 10:08 am, gliderguynj > wrote:
>>> On the Discovery Channel HD there is a 90 minute documentary more or
>>> less about the history of Vanuys Airport in California. It has some
>>> of the most incredible air to air footage I've ever seen. It's well
>>> worth the watch. Phil Boyer amongst others get to talk about General
>>> Aviation and the challenges it is facing due to airports being
>>> closed. We all know the issue well.....
>>>
>>> Doug
>>
>> The DVD is available from most Aviation retailers (Sportys, JoePilot,
>> etc).
>>
>> While the focus is on Van Nuys, it's a good overview of GA.
>>
>> You're right -- the air to air work is amazing. There are several
>> awesome scenes, but the DC-3 on approach to touchdown is my favorite
>> -- very, very cool.
>>
>> The companion DVD is ok, but not required.
>>
>> Would be a good one to lend to those interested in becoming a pilot.
>>

>> Dan Mc
>

>Ordered that CD a couple of days ago after reading the good feedback on
>imdb. I'd be interested in any other recommendations of well filmed GA
>DVD's.
>TIA
>Mike

There is another DVD from the same people called "16 Left". That's
the parallel runway at Van Nuys Airport. It's more or less a
continuation of "16 Right" with a lot of background information on how
the original was filmed. There is some new footage of air work, but
like a previous poster noted it's OK, but not required. I bought it
and didn't regret it a bit.

Ron Kelley

Mxsmanic
April 8th 08, 05:15 AM
Al writes:

> Every time I watch this show, it makes me proud and humble to be a pilot.

Proud AND humble? Isn't that an oxymoron?

Benjamin Dover
April 8th 08, 06:30 AM
Mxsmanic > wrote in
:

> Al writes:
>
>> Every time I watch this show, it makes me proud and humble to be a
>> pilot.
>
> Proud AND humble? Isn't that an oxymoron?

Only to a moron like you.

Mike Gilmour[_2_]
April 8th 08, 01:41 PM
"Ron" > wrote in message
> On Mon, 7 Apr 2008 16:08:53 +0100, "Mike Gilmour"
> > wrote:
>

> wrote in message

>>> The DVD is available from most Aviation retailers (Sportys, JoePilot,
>>> etc).
>>>
>>> While the focus is on Van Nuys, it's a good overview of GA.
>>>
>>> You're right -- the air to air work is amazing. There are several
>>> awesome scenes, but the DC-3 on approach to touchdown is my favorite
>>> -- very, very cool.
>>>
>>> The companion DVD is ok, but not required.
>>>
>>> Would be a good one to lend to those interested in becoming a pilot.
>>>

>>> Dan Mc
>>

>>Ordered that CD a couple of days ago after reading the good feedback on
>>imdb. I'd be interested in any other recommendations of well filmed GA
>>DVD's.
>>TIA
>>Mike
>>

> There is another DVD from the same people called "16 Left". That's
> the parallel runway at Van Nuys Airport. It's more or less a
> continuation of "16 Right" with a lot of background information on how
> the original was filmed. There is some new footage of air work, but
> like a previous poster noted it's OK, but not required. I bought it
> and didn't regret it a bit.
>
> Ron Kelley

Thanks Ron, I'll look into that. As 16R is more about Van Nuys history than
GA in particular, it'd be good if a similiar quality film was made
specifically about GA. Here in the UK it seems that there is a GA field
closing every week - we need something like that to inspire new GA pilots.
That said, the ever rising price of fuel may seal the fate of GA.... except
perhaps for the mega rich.

Mike

Google