PDA

View Full Version : Me being a passenger - Video

April 8th 08, 12:05 AM
Yesterdays flight with me as a passenger and video devoted to our
female pilots :-) that fly around in the skyways and byways as they
are a rare bird on frequency around my way.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ru6p-5dP5D0

Allen

Robert M. Gary
April 8th 08, 12:50 AM
On Apr 7, 4:05*pm, " > wrote:
> Yesterdays flight with me as a passenger and video devoted to our
> female pilots :-) that fly around in the skyways and byways as they
> are a rare bird on frequency around my way.
>
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ru6p-5dP5D0

Big John Edwards fan apparently.

-Robert

Jim Logajan
April 8th 08, 01:46 AM
"Robert M. Gary" > wrote:
> On Apr 7, 4:05*pm, " > wrote:
>> Yesterdays flight with me as a passenger and video devoted to our
>> female pilots :-) that fly around in the skyways and byways as they
>> are a rare bird on frequency around my way.
>>
>> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ru6p-5dP5D0
>
> Big John Edwards fan apparently.

I'm going to have to complain to my Usenet provider about the technical
glitch that is causing their system to issue posts over 2 months old!

Thankfully I haven't seen any delayed political posts about the Stephen A.
Douglas campaign - though I suppose on the bright side it would indicate my
provider has great post retention.

April 8th 08, 03:01 AM
On Apr 7, 7:10*pm, John Smith > wrote:
> Alan, asker her how well the noise cancelling worked on those Lightspeed *
> headsets with those big dangling earings hanging out the bottom.

Uhg! Me asking that????

What kinda reaction you think she would give me LOL.

Next thing ya know she may ask, do I want to try them!!

I'd imagine after looking at the video, probably not too much
different then eyeglasses, dunno, but looking, sure would look like
they would leave some red marks!

Margy Natalie
April 8th 08, 04:22 AM
wrote:
> On Apr 7, 7:10 pm, John Smith > wrote:
>
>>Alan, asker her how well the noise cancelling worked on those Lightspeed
>>headsets with those big dangling earings hanging out the bottom.
>

> Uhg! Me asking that????
>
> What kinda reaction you think she would give me LOL.
>
> Next thing ya know she may ask, do I want to try them!!
>
> I'd imagine after looking at the video, probably not too much
> different then eyeglasses, dunno, but looking, sure would look like
> they would leave some red marks!
I mentioned to some headset maker that their earcups made it
uncomfortable to fly with earrings (modest posts at that) and he gave me
that "dumb chick" look. I think they need to rethink their marketing.
In a shrinking market you don't want to leave anyone out and let's face
it, even if the female is a passenger and says "these hurt" there will
be different headsets in the future.

Margy

Jay Maynard
April 8th 08, 11:42 AM
On 2008-04-08, Margy Natalie > wrote:
> I mentioned to some headset maker that their earcups made it
> uncomfortable to fly with earrings (modest posts at that) and he gave me
> that "dumb chick" look. I think they need to rethink their marketing.
> In a shrinking market you don't want to leave anyone out and let's face
> it, even if the female is a passenger and says "these hurt" there will
> be different headsets in the future.

Hm. A friend told me that he wears conventional headsets, but his wife uses
the Clarity Aloft in-ear headset. Wonder if that's part of the reason.
--
Jay Maynard, K5ZC http://www.conmicro.com
Fairmont, MN (FRM) (Yes, that's me!)

Jay Honeck[_2_]
April 8th 08, 02:46 PM
> I mentioned to some headset maker that their earcups made it uncomfortable
> to fly with earrings (modest posts at that) and he gave me that "dumb
> chick" look. I think they need to rethink their marketing. In a shrinking
> market you don't want to leave anyone out and let's face it, even if the
> female is a passenger and says "these hurt" there will be different
> headsets in the future.

I thought that was why airplanes had ash trays anymore?

The first thing Mary does when she hops in the plane is to remove her
earrings and place them in the ash tray...
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

WingFlaps
April 8th 08, 07:32 PM
On Apr 8, 11:05*am, " > wrote:
> Yesterdays flight with me as a passenger and video devoted to our
> female pilots :-) that fly around in the skyways and byways as they
> are a rare bird on frequency around my way.
>
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ru6p-5dP5D0

It looked like a steep turn (>30 degrees) in the circuit? I was told
to never do that...

Cheers

April 8th 08, 10:29 PM
On Apr 8, 1:32*pm, WingFlaps > wrote:

> It looked like a steep turn (>30 degrees) in the circuit? I was told
> to never do that...

Until you pointed this out, I didn't even notice it in the plane :-)

Guess being passenger does have it's privilges!!! I really was having
fun being a passenger and looking out the SIDE window!!!

Allen

Matt Whiting
April 8th 08, 11:39 PM
WingFlaps wrote:
> On Apr 8, 11:05 am, " > wrote:
>> Yesterdays flight with me as a passenger and video devoted to our
>> female pilots :-) that fly around in the skyways and byways as they
>> are a rare bird on frequency around my way.
>>
>> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ru6p-5dP5D0
>>

> It looked like a steep turn (>30 degrees) in the circuit? I was told
> to never do that...
>
> Cheers

I didn't notice it looking steeper than 30 degrees. The biggest problem
I saw other than the lousy camera work and the stupid attempts at
special effects, was the consistent landing well left of the centerline.

Matt

romeomike
April 9th 08, 12:12 AM
wrote:

> Guess being passenger does have it's privilges!!! I really was having
> fun being a passenger and looking out the SIDE window!!!
>
> Allen

I kept waiting for the flare that never seemed to come. Seems like
there's no round-out. Did she flare, or did she three point? Maybe
somehow the camera angle makes it deceptive. Anyone else see it that way?

April 9th 08, 02:33 AM
On Apr 8, 6:12*pm, romeomike > wrote:

> I kept waiting for the flare that never seemed to come. Seems like
> there's no round-out. Did she flare, or did she three point? Maybe
> somehow the camera angle makes it deceptive. Anyone else see it that way?

You are correct for the first landing. First one was a very flat
landing, she knew it too and we did three point it.

Second landing was much better and mains settled first. On that
landing, talked her through my "landing trick" of just before wheels
touch, to add a touch (like 25 rpm) of power, which gave her more
time to effectively flare. The chirp on the second landing was the
nose wheel settling. Mains came down nice and soft.

Allen

April 9th 08, 02:43 AM
On Apr 8, 5:39*pm, Matt Whiting > wrote:

> I didn't notice it looking steeper than 30 degrees. *The biggest problem
> I saw other than the lousy camera work and the stupid attempts at
> special effects, was the consistent landing well left of the centerline.

You had two rookies in the plane :-)

I'm not used to being a cameraman and she has only had her VFR ticket
for one month. She wasn't **that** far off the centerline so we need
to give her some slack. Of course until now, you ddin't know that..

While in my other videos, fades work best based on the music. For
example if you look at my video "I can only Imagine" at
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_uP17DO1U3c fades are more effective,
then zany transitions. The average time per picture in this video is
3 seconds based on the beat of the song.

In this "I am Woman video", since it was an upbeat song, and fast
paced, figure to spice up the effects with something different. I
timed the effects with either a beat to the music or a specific word
in the song.

Allen

romeomike
April 9th 08, 03:07 AM
wrote:

> Second landing was much better and mains settled first. On that
> landing, talked her through my "landing trick" of just before wheels
> touch, to add a touch (like 25 rpm) of power, which gave her more
> time to effectively flare. The chirp on the second landing was the
> nose wheel settling. Mains came down nice and soft.
>
> Allen

On looking again, I agree there appeared to be some flare on the second
landing. I suspect the "chirp" was really from the mains. Encourage her
to flare consistently to avoid a damaging nose strike or porpoising with
possible resultant damage. A three-point is a hair away from one of
these scenarios.

April 9th 08, 03:50 AM
On Apr 8, 9:07*pm, romeomike > wrote:
>. Encourage her
> to flare consistently to avoid a damaging nose strike or porpoising with
> possible resultant damage. A three-point is a hair away from one of
> these scenarios.

Absolutely agree with the above.

Her approach was significantly higher then my approaches at her
stage. She was very hesitant to bring power back to idle on short
final, which I found quite unusual since she had the runway made.

I am not an instructor by any means, so figure if it works for her,
and she lands safely, it's the end result that counts :-)

She is going on her instrument training, so landings will I am sure
improve with time.

Allen

Vinnie Yasay
April 9th 08, 07:50 PM
On Tue, 08 Apr 2008 22:39:18 GMT, Matt Whiting wrote:

> I didn't notice it looking steeper than 30 degrees. The biggest problem
> I saw other than the lousy camera work and the stupid attempts at
> special effects, was the consistent landing well left of the centerline.
>
> MATT THE ASSHOLE TROLL

*PLONK*

Leeann Taberman
April 9th 08, 07:52 PM
On Tue, 8 Apr 2008 18:43:29 -0700 (PDT), wrote:

> On Apr 8, 5:39*pm, Matt Whiting > wrote:
>
>> I didn't notice it looking steeper than 30 degrees. *The biggest problem
>> I saw other than the lousy camera work and the stupid attempts at
>> special effects, was the consistent landing well left of the centerline.
>
> You had two rookies in the plane :-)
>
> I'm not used to being a cameraman and she has only had her VFR ticket
> for one month. She wasn't **that** far off the centerline so we need
> to give her some slack. Of course until now, you ddin't know that..
>
> While in my other videos, fades work best based on the music. For
> example if you look at my video "I can only Imagine" at
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_uP17DO1U3c fades are more effective,
> then zany transitions. The average time per picture in this video is
> 3 seconds based on the beat of the song.
>
> In this "I am Woman video", since it was an upbeat song, and fast
> paced, figure to spice up the effects with something different. I
> timed the effects with either a beat to the music or a specific word
> in the song.
>
> Allen

I appreciated it, thank you.

Matt Whiting
April 9th 08, 10:51 PM
Vinnie Yasay wrote:
> On Tue, 08 Apr 2008 22:39:18 GMT, Matt Whiting wrote:
>
>> I didn't notice it looking steeper than 30 degrees. The biggest problem
>> I saw other than the lousy camera work and the stupid attempts at
>> special effects, was the consistent landing well left of the centerline.
>>
>> MATT THE ASSHOLE TROLL
>
> *PLONK*

Now that you have established that you don't know what a troll is, are
you going to establish that you don't know what plonk means?

Matt Whiting
April 10th 08, 12:39 AM
wrote:
> On Apr 8, 5:39 pm, Matt Whiting > wrote:
>
>> I didn't notice it looking steeper than 30 degrees. The biggest problem
>> I saw other than the lousy camera work and the stupid attempts at
>> special effects, was the consistent landing well left of the centerline.
>
> You had two rookies in the plane :-)

:-) At least being a rookie is a temporary condition!

> I'm not used to being a cameraman and she has only had her VFR ticket
> for one month. She wasn't **that** far off the centerline so we need
> to give her some slack. Of course until now, you ddin't know that..

Actually, I wouldn't give her slack as that just leads to sloppy flying
going forward. Always strive for perfection and you will slowly get
better. Accept 3 feet left of center line and you will always be
landing off the center line (she looked at least that far off and
probably more as it appeared that even the right main was left of
centerline at touchdown). Always strive to plant the nose wheel on the
centerline.

> While in my other videos, fades work best based on the music. For
> example if you look at my video "I can only Imagine" at
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_uP17DO1U3c fades are more effective,
> then zany transitions. The average time per picture in this video is
> 3 seconds based on the beat of the song.
>
> In this "I am Woman video", since it was an upbeat song, and fast
> paced, figure to spice up the effects with something different. I
> timed the effects with either a beat to the music or a specific word
> in the song.

Well, it is a personal preference thing, but I didn't even watch the
entire clip before I was tired of it and stopped ... and it wasn't that
long of a clip!

Matt

April 10th 08, 01:12 AM
On Apr 9, 6:39*pm, Matt Whiting > wrote:

> Actually, I wouldn't give her slack as that just leads to sloppy flying
> going forward. *Always strive for perfection and you will slowly get
> better. *Accept 3 feet left of center line and you will always be
> landing off the center line (she looked at least that far off and
> probably more as it appeared that even the right main was left of
> centerline at touchdown). *Always strive to plant the nose wheel on the
> centerline.

Just like you not liking transitions where as others like them, maybe
I am more tolerant of somebody being new at this then you.

At her experience, planting on the centerline would be nice, but with
the workload for a new pilot, I am just happy she put it on the ground
SAFELY.

In time that centerline won't be so elusive. After all, she is
pursuing her instrument ticket, so she is looking to improve herself.

I take it you forget what it was like after you got your ticket? Or
are you that perfect? Sheeez, give a newbie a break. Her ticket is
one month old.

Personally, me being there in the plane, I was quite impressed. Her
first landing, she knew she didn't do well by landing flat, but she
sure did correct it the second landing. If the only thing she did
wrong in was miss the centerline by three lousy feet or so on a 75
foot wide runway, I'd say she did pretty good. Nothing unsafe in my
eyes and nore did I feel unsafe at any given point of the flight.

BTW, I am not an instructor, but after 800+ hours of PIC myself, I can
make judgement on whether I feel safe or not, and that to me is the
utmost important feeling.

Allen

Margy Natalie
April 16th 08, 02:08 AM
Jay Maynard wrote:
> On 2008-04-08, Margy Natalie > wrote:
>
>>I mentioned to some headset maker that their earcups made it
>>uncomfortable to fly with earrings (modest posts at that) and he gave me
>>that "dumb chick" look. I think they need to rethink their marketing.
>>In a shrinking market you don't want to leave anyone out and let's face
>>it, even if the female is a passenger and says "these hurt" there will
>>be different headsets in the future.
>

> Hm. A friend told me that he wears conventional headsets, but his wife uses
> the Clarity Aloft in-ear headset. Wonder if that's part of the reason.
I bought the Clarity Aloft as well. There is obviously NO head clamping
and I can wear a hat if I want. It's almost 6 of one and half a dozen
of the other compared to my lightspeeds, but if I switch back and forth
the engine ALWAYS sounds "funny".

Margy

Google