PDA

View Full Version : Renting Garmin GPSs

Longworth[_1_]
April 9th 08, 06:09 PM
I got an email today from air power, inc ( www.factoryengines.com)
announcing that they have a program to allow pilots to buy, rent or
try (for free for 30 days) Garmin GPSs. The rental fee for Garmin
396 is $35/month and 496 is $45/month with the first 3 rental payments
applied toward purchase the purchase prices ($1795 for 396 and $2395
for the 496). I'm curious on whether there are other outfits who also
offer GPS rental and how do they stack up in comparison to air power's
offer.

I have seen recent ads for the Avmap GeoPilot II Plus mentioning an
optional XMweather antenna but with no price and/or availability. I
hope to hear Sun-n-Fun's report of its sighting. If I have to wait
for a while for a GPS with bigger XM weather display than the Garmin's
option, I may consider renting the Garmin for long cross country trips
this summer. $35/month for the Garmin 396 is a bargain. The Jeppesen
database update for my Lowrance 1000 cost about the same!

Hai Longworth

Nathan Young
April 9th 08, 06:18 PM
On Wed, 9 Apr 2008 10:09:31 -0700 (PDT), Longworth
> wrote:

>I got an email today from air power, inc ( www.factoryengines.com)
>announcing that they have a program to allow pilots to buy, rent or
>try (for free for 30 days) Garmin GPSs. The rental fee for Garmin
>396 is $35/month and 496 is $45/month with the first 3 rental payments
>applied toward purchase the purchase prices ($1795 for 396 and $2395
>for the 496). I'm curious on whether there are other outfits who also
>offer GPS rental and how do they stack up in comparison to air power's
>offer.
>
>I have seen recent ads for the Avmap GeoPilot II Plus mentioning an
>optional XMweather antenna but with no price and/or availability. I
>hope to hear Sun-n-Fun's report of its sighting. If I have to wait
>for a while for a GPS with bigger XM weather display than the Garmin's
>option, I may consider renting the Garmin for long cross country trips
>this summer. $35/month for the Garmin 396 is a bargain. The Jeppesen
>database update for my Lowrance 1000 cost about the same!
>
>Hai Longworth

Hai,

I have been testing a similar 296/396 rental program at my local FBO,
and plan on rolling it out nationally via FedEx deliveries.

Unless it is just a short term incentive program, I don't see how they
can make money on the 396 and 496 pricing. XM Satellite weather is
$50/month.

But, if so that's a great deal. I charge that much per week.

-Nathan

Longworth[_1_]
April 9th 08, 06:22 PM
On Apr 9, 1:18*pm, Nathan Young > wrote:
> Unless it is just a short term incentive program, I don't see how they
> can make money on the 396 and 496 pricing. *XM Satellite weather is
> $50/month.

Nathan,
I expect the $35/month covers only the rental fee of the 396 unit.
XM weather service may be extra. I will contact airpower and get
details of their policy.

Hai Longworth

Robert M. Gary
April 9th 08, 07:03 PM
On Apr 9, 10:18*am, Nathan Young > wrote:
> On Wed, 9 Apr 2008 10:09:31 -0700 (PDT), Longworth
>

> > wrote:
>
> >I got an email today from air power, inc (www.factoryengines.com)
> >announcing that they have a program to allow pilots to buy, rent or
> >try (for free for 30 days) Garmin GPSs. * The rental fee for Garmin
> >396 is $35/month and 496 is $45/month with the first 3 rental payments
> >applied toward purchase the purchase prices ($1795 for 396 and $2395
> >for the 496). *I'm curious on whether there are other outfits who also
> >offer GPS rental and how do they stack up in comparison to air power's
> >offer.
>
> >I have seen recent ads for the Avmap GeoPilot II Plus mentioning an
> >optional XMweather antenna but with no price and/or availability. *I
> >hope to hear Sun-n-Fun's *report of its sighting. *If I have to wait
> >for a while for a GPS with bigger XM weather display than the Garmin's
> >option, I may consider renting the Garmin for long cross country trips
> >this summer. *$35/month for the Garmin 396 is a bargain. *The Jeppesen
> >database update for my Lowrance 1000 cost about the same!
>
> >Hai Longworth
>
> Hai,
>
> I have been testing a similar 296/396 rental program at my local FBO,
> and plan on rolling it out nationally via FedEx deliveries.
>
> Unless it is just a short term incentive program, I don't see how they
> can make money on the 396 and 496 pricing. *XM Satellite weather is
> $50/month.

I would buy a 496 tomorrow if I could get "trip" XM weather. Its just
not worth it for me to pay $50 every month. When I fly I often take
long trips (Mexico, Central America, etc) but then I get back and
don't fly for a month or so (at least not far enough to justify XM).

-robert

Google