PDA

View Full Version : Regia Aeronautica, Why no use of German planes?

Tiger
April 11th 08, 04:35 AM
Considering the Clear advantage in quality in the Luftwaffe's aircraft;
Why stick with the home grown production? Why not licence build Fw-190's
& Me 109's instead of Fiat's And Macchi's. While The Germans exchanged
technology with Japan, How come Italy seems to come up short? Would The
Med Campaign have gone differntly if Italian Pilots have had first rate
equipment from their Axis partner?

Keith Willshaw[_3_]
April 11th 08, 06:04 PM
"Tiger" > wrote in message
> Considering the Clear advantage in quality in the Luftwaffe's aircraft;
> Why stick with the home grown production? Why not licence build Fw-190's
> & Me 109's instead of Fiat's And Macchi's.

Because installing a whole new production facility is a lengthy affair.
Its not just the airframe you have to make but the powertrain.
Italy simply didnt have suitable engines until the license built
DB-601/5's were ready. When fitted with those engines Italian
built fighters were rather capable aircraft

Keith

Eunometic
April 12th 08, 06:58 AM
On Apr 11, 1:35 pm, Tiger > wrote:
> Considering the Clear advantage in quality in the Luftwaffe's aircraft;
> Why stick with the home grown production? Why not licence build Fw-190's
> & Me 109's instead of Fiat's And Macchi's. While The Germans exchanged
> technology with Japan, How come Italy seems to come up short? Would The
> Med Campaign have gone differntly if Italian Pilots have had first rate
> equipment from their Axis partner?

The Italian air force did operate some Me 109G's.

Keith Willshaw[_3_]
April 12th 08, 10:14 AM
"Eunometic" > wrote in message
> On Apr 11, 1:35 pm, Tiger > wrote:
>> Considering the Clear advantage in quality in the Luftwaffe's aircraft;
>> Why stick with the home grown production? Why not licence build Fw-190's
>> & Me 109's instead of Fiat's And Macchi's. While The Germans exchanged
>> technology with Japan, How come Italy seems to come up short? Would The
>> Med Campaign have gone differntly if Italian Pilots have had first rate
>> equipment from their Axis partner?
>
> The Italian air force did operate some Me 109G's.

I think you'll find that was the Aeronautica Nazionale Repubblicana, or ANR
which was the par of the air force that remained loyal to the
Fascist puppet regime in the north.

The successor to the RA in Southern Italy was the Aviazione Cobelligerante
Italiana, or ACI . In addition to Italian types they flew Spitfire Mk V's
and P-39's

Keith

Eunometic
April 12th 08, 03:34 PM
On Apr 12, 7:14 pm, "Keith Willshaw" > wrote:
> "Eunometic" > wrote in message

> > On Apr 11, 1:35 pm, Tiger > wrote:
> >> Considering the Clear advantage in quality in the Luftwaffe's aircraft;
> >> Why stick with the home grown production? Why not licence build Fw-190's
> >> & Me 109's instead of Fiat's And Macchi's. While The Germans exchanged
> >> technology with Japan, How come Italy seems to come up short? Would The
> >> Med Campaign have gone differntly if Italian Pilots have had first rate
> >> equipment from their Axis partner?
>
> > The Italian air force did operate some Me 109G's.
>
> I think you'll find that was the Aeronautica Nazionale Repubblicana, or ANR
> which was the par of the air force that remained loyal to the
> Fascist puppet regime in the north.
>
> The successor to the RA in Southern Italy was the Aviazione Cobelligerante
> Italiana, or ACI . In addition to Italian types they flew Spitfire Mk V's
> and P-39's
>
> Keith

Thanks.

Don McIntyre
April 16th 08, 02:36 PM
Eunometic wrote:
> On Apr 12, 7:14 pm, "Keith Willshaw" > wrote:

> > > The Italian air force did operate some Me 109G's.
> >
> > I think you'll find that was the Aeronautica Nazionale Repubblicana, or ANR
> > which was the par of the air force that remained loyal to the
> > Fascist puppet regime in the north.
> >
> > The successor to the RA in Southern Italy was the Aviazione Cobelligerante
> > Italiana, or ACI . In addition to Italian types they flew Spitfire Mk V's
> > and P-39's
> >
> > Keith
>
> Thanks.

Other than a significant horsepower advantage, the Italian AF didn't
see the German aircraft as being significantly better than their own
aircraft. At the beginning of the war the Italian AF still considered
manueverability as being a higher priority than speed. Later, of
course, that changed as seen by the use of license built Daimler-Benz
engines in the MC.202/205 series.
Italy also used a signifcant number of Ju 87B Stukas, IIRC.

Google