PDA

View Full Version : Switching Flight Schools

bobwob21
April 11th 08, 04:08 PM
Hello-

I was just looking for some advice and suggestions regarding switching
flight schools. I have about 77 hours in and there are still many
basics that I do not quite have down. I think its a combination of
feeling nervous and being overly psyched out by my initial instructors
approach to training.

For example..for the majority of my training I would be doing my
climbs cruises without him consistantely forcing me to read the
checklist. So that habit never developed. No Flaps landings, I have
not learned until about 60 hours in training. Around hour 70, the
instructor left and found a new job. Lastly, we rarely debriefed
after each flight.

I do not want to say its all his fault....though I would think I
should feel some confidence at this stage in my training. Any
suggestions would be helpful or similiar experiences.

Thanks
SD.

Bertie the Bunyip[_24_]
April 11th 08, 04:37 PM
bobwob21 > wrote in news:93a23fa4-8328-4484-93d5-
:

> Hello-
>
> I was just looking for some advice and suggestions regarding switching
> flight schools. I have about 77 hours in and there are still many
> basics that I do not quite have down. I think its a combination of
> feeling nervous and being overly psyched out by my initial instructors
> approach to training.
>
> For example..for the majority of my training I would be doing my
> climbs cruises without him consistantely forcing me to read the
> checklist. So that habit never developed. No Flaps landings, I have
> not learned until about 60 hours in training. Around hour 70, the
> instructor left and found a new job. Lastly, we rarely debriefed
> after each flight.
>
> I do not want to say its all his fault....though I would think I
> should feel some confidence at this stage in my training. Any
> suggestions would be helpful or similiar experiences.

Hard to know unless you're there in the cockpit watching, but the
debrief thing sounds not so good in particular. Ask around.... There's
bound to be a good one somewhere nearby.

Bertie

Gig 601Xl Builder
April 11th 08, 05:28 PM
bobwob21 wrote:
> Hello-
>
> I was just looking for some advice and suggestions regarding switching
> flight schools. I have about 77 hours in and there are still many
> basics that I do not quite have down. I think its a combination of
> feeling nervous and being overly psyched out by my initial instructors
> approach to training.
>
> For example..for the majority of my training I would be doing my
> climbs cruises without him consistantely forcing me to read the
> checklist. So that habit never developed. No Flaps landings, I have
> not learned until about 60 hours in training. Around hour 70, the
> instructor left and found a new job. Lastly, we rarely debriefed
> after each flight.
>
> I do not want to say its all his fault....though I would think I
> should feel some confidence at this stage in my training. Any
> suggestions would be helpful or similiar experiences.
>
> Thanks
> SD.

I'm not an instructor but I've taken instruction from many.

I'd look for an experienced instructor that is used to working with more
advanced students if you can find one. The reason I say this is a less
experienced instructor who is almost always dealing with brand new
students may not have as easy a time transitioning his teaching style to
someone that has over 70 hours.

Robert M. Gary
April 11th 08, 05:32 PM
On Apr 11, 8:08*am, bobwob21 > wrote:
> Hello-
>
> I was just looking for some advice and suggestions regarding switching
> flight schools. *I have about 77 hours in and there are still many
> basics that I do not quite have down. *I think its a combination of
> feeling nervous and being overly psyched out by my initial instructors
> approach to training.

Learning to fly can be a big challenge. I think its made harder
because of the types of personalities that are drawn to learning to
fly. We're generally all high achievers in life and want to be perfect
in everything. I try to keep reminding my students that this needs to
be fun. Don't let the challenges take that away from you, because its
the fun you're paying for and its the fun you'll hopefully remember
into old age.
Switching flight school is normally not a big deal. If the new school
is 141 they may have to do some back tracking to ensure you meet the
syllabus requirements. Also, if you're a foreign student it is a big
deal and you need to get reapproved. A foreign student's approval for
flight training is locked to the flight school he goes to. I'm not
sure why, but that is the way it is.

-robert, CFII

April 11th 08, 06:23 PM
On Apr 11, 11:08 am, bobwob21 > wrote:
> Hello-
>
> I was just looking for some advice and suggestions regarding switching
> flight schools. I have about 77 hours in and there are still many
> basics that I do not quite have down. I think its a combination of
> feeling nervous and being overly psyched out by my initial instructors
> approach to training.
>
> For example..for the majority of my training I would be doing my
> climbs cruises without him consistantely forcing me to read the
> checklist. So that habit never developed. No Flaps landings, I have
> not learned until about 60 hours in training. Around hour 70, the
> instructor left and found a new job. Lastly, we rarely debriefed
> after each flight.
>
> I do not want to say its all his fault....though I would think I
> should feel some confidence at this stage in my training. Any
> suggestions would be helpful or similiar experiences.
>
> Thanks
> SD.

Where are you located?

B A R R Y[_2_]
April 11th 08, 06:35 PM
bobwob21 wrote:

> I do not want to say its all his fault....though I would think I
> should feel some confidence at this stage in my training. Any
> suggestions would be helpful or similiar experiences.

Go fly with another instructor and see how it goes.

Robert M. Gary
April 11th 08, 07:29 PM
On Apr 11, 10:35*am, B A R R Y > wrote:
> bobwob21 wrote:
>
> > I do not want to say its all his fault....though I would think I
> > should feel some confidence at this stage in my training. *Any
> > suggestions would be helpful or similiar experiences.
>
> Go fly with another instructor and see how it goes.

That's good advise. I really think that any good instructor should try
to arrange for his students to fly with another CFI at least once in
each stage. It helps get the student ready for the checkride
experience and also allows the student a different perspective on
items he has difficult with.

-Robert

Google