PDA

View Full Version : FAR 91.113d Question.

SD
April 12th 08, 05:19 PM
Hello-

I have a quick question/concern regarding FAR 91.113d. I pretty much
grasp the concept well. Basically apply the acronym BGAAR (baloons,
gliders, airships, airplanes and helo's). For example, If I am flying
my Cessna and a balloon is about 2 mi ahead of me I will alter course
to the right and give it the ROW. Likewise for any of the other items
on that list except, helo's, right?

Well in the event that I come across a vessel that is not listed in
91.113d, what do I do? Yesterday I was flying and a Rombulan Warbird
decloaked and was dead ahead of me. I tried to hail him but I had no
luck. Since he was traveling at impulse power I was able to maneuver
around him. There was no wake turbulence or anything of that sort.

Although starships are not included in 91.113d, I typically just give
them the right away. Its easy on planet earth since we are in
Federation airspace, all federation vessels are not cloaked and tend
to travel at impulse power. I am concerned about the Rombulan Warbird
however.

What should I do in this case especially if I cannot hail the
Warbird?

Bertie the Bunyip[_24_]
April 12th 08, 05:32 PM
SD > wrote in news:258bf789-9611-4bf9-8d8d-
:

> Hello-
>
> I have a quick question/concern regarding FAR 91.113d. I pretty much
> grasp the concept well. Basically apply the acronym BGAAR (baloons,
> gliders, airships, airplanes and helo's). For example, If I am flying
> my Cessna and a balloon is about 2 mi ahead of me I will alter course
> to the right and give it the ROW. Likewise for any of the other items
> on that list except, helo's, right?
>
> Well in the event that I come across a vessel that is not listed in
> 91.113d, what do I do? Yesterday I was flying and a Rombulan Warbird
> decloaked and was dead ahead of me. I tried to hail him but I had no
> luck. Since he was traveling at impulse power I was able to maneuver
> around him. There was no wake turbulence or anything of that sort.
>
> Although starships are not included in 91.113d, I typically just give
> them the right away. Its easy on planet earth since we are in
> Federation airspace, all federation vessels are not cloaked and te
> to travel at impulse power. I am concerned about the Rombulan Warbird
> however.
>
> What should I do in this case especially if I cannot hail the
> Warbird?

You mis-spelled Romulan

Bertie

Peter Clark
April 12th 08, 05:59 PM
On Sat, 12 Apr 2008 09:19:54 -0700 (PDT), SD >
wrote:

>Hello-
>
>I have a quick question/concern regarding FAR 91.113d. I pretty much
>grasp the concept well. Basically apply the acronym BGAAR (baloons,
>gliders, airships, airplanes and helo's). For example, If I am flying
>my Cessna and a balloon is about 2 mi ahead of me I will alter course
>to the right and give it the ROW. Likewise for any of the other items
>on that list except, helo's, right?
>
>Well in the event that I come across a vessel that is not listed in
>91.113d, what do I do? Yesterday I was flying and a Rombulan Warbird
>decloaked and was dead ahead of me. I tried to hail him but I had no
>luck. Since he was traveling at impulse power I was able to maneuver
>around him. There was no wake turbulence or anything of that sort.
>
>Although starships are not included in 91.113d, I typically just give
>them the right away. Its easy on planet earth since we are in
>Federation airspace, all federation vessels are not cloaked and tend
>to travel at impulse power. I am concerned about the Rombulan Warbird
>however.
>
>What should I do in this case especially if I cannot hail the
>Warbird?

Who has better manuverability? Better manuverability has to give way.

Ron Wanttaja
April 12th 08, 06:25 PM
On Sat, 12 Apr 2008 16:32:25 +0000 (UTC), Bertie the Bunyip > wrote:

> SD > wrote in news:258bf789-9611-4bf9-8d8d-
> :

> > Well in the event that I come across a vessel that is not listed in
> > 91.113d, what do I do? Yesterday I was flying and a Rombulan Warbird
> > decloaked and was dead ahead of me.
>
> You mis-spelled Romulan

Fleet Intelligence identified that as a Tholian accent.

Ron Wanttaja
AKA Thought-Captain K'anttiah Tai Hazar

muff528
April 12th 08, 06:29 PM
"SD" > wrote in message
> Hello-
>
> I have a quick question/concern regarding FAR 91.113d. I pretty much
> grasp the concept well. Basically apply the acronym BGAAR (baloons,
> gliders, airships, airplanes and helo's). For example, If I am flying
> my Cessna and a balloon is about 2 mi ahead of me I will alter course
> to the right and give it the ROW. Likewise for any of the other items
> on that list except, helo's, right?
>
> Well in the event that I come across a vessel that is not listed in
> 91.113d, what do I do? Yesterday I was flying and a Rombulan Warbird
> decloaked and was dead ahead of me. I tried to hail him but I had no
> luck. Since he was traveling at impulse power I was able to maneuver
> around him. There was no wake turbulence or anything of that sort.
>
> Although starships are not included in 91.113d, I typically just give
> them the right away. Its easy on planet earth since we are in
> Federation airspace, all federation vessels are not cloaked and tend
> to travel at impulse power. I am concerned about the Rombulan Warbird
> however.
>
> What should I do in this case especially if I cannot hail the
> Warbird?

You should then immediately hail Mary.

BS,TP

Jim Logajan
April 12th 08, 07:28 PM
SD > wrote:
> Yesterday I was flying and a Rombulan Warbird
> decloaked and was dead ahead of me.

How can a dead Warbird do anything, much less disrobe?

You should have fired your phasors, as there is nothing more disturbing to
the space-time continuum than naked Romulans.

> Since he was traveling at impulse power I was able to maneuver
> around him. There was no wake turbulence or anything of that sort.

If there was no wake turbulence then he wasn't using impulse power. Clearly
you are mistaken.

> Although starships are not included in 91.113d,

Yes they are - under "weight-shift-control," also known as "warp drive."
Just because the warp drive is not in use at that time, they are still
classified as warp drive wessels (as Chekov would call them.) Sheesh, what
are they teaching in ground school these days?

> What should I do in this case especially if I cannot hail the
> Warbird?

Dropping hail onto it would be in violation of 91.15 "Dropping Objects".
The approved method is use of phasors. See 91.99 of the FARs.

Bertie the Bunyip[_24_]
April 12th 08, 07:36 PM
Ron Wanttaja > wrote in
:

> On Sat, 12 Apr 2008 16:32:25 +0000 (UTC), Bertie the Bunyip >
> wrote:
>
>> SD > wrote in news:258bf789-9611-4bf9-8d8d-
>> :
>
>> > Well in the event that I come across a vessel that is not listed in
>> > 91.113d, what do I do? Yesterday I was flying and a Rombulan
>> > Warbird decloaked and was dead ahead of me.
>>
>> You mis-spelled Romulan
>
> Fleet Intelligence identified that as a Tholian accent.
>
> Ron Wanttaja
> AKA Thought-Captain K'anttiah Tai Hazar

Oh dear!

Bertie

WingFlaps
April 12th 08, 08:20 PM
On Apr 13, 4:19*am, SD > wrote:
> Hello-
>
> I have a quick question/concern regarding FAR 91.113d. *I pretty much
> grasp the concept well. *Basically apply the acronym BGAAR (baloons,
> gliders, airships, airplanes and helo's). *For example, If I am flying
> my Cessna and a balloon is about 2 mi ahead of me I will alter course
> to the right and give it the ROW. *Likewise for any of the other items
> on that list except, helo's, right?
>
> Well in the event that I come across a vessel that is not listed in
> 91.113d, what do I do? *Yesterday I was flying and a Rombulan Warbird
> decloaked and was dead ahead of me. *I tried to hail him but I had no
> luck. *Since he was traveling at impulse power I was able to maneuver
> around him. *There was no wake turbulence or anything of that sort.
>
> Although starships are not included in 91.113d, I typically just give
> them the right away. *Its easy on planet earth since we are in
> Federation airspace, all federation vessels are not cloaked and tend
> to travel at impulse power. *I am concerned about the Rombulan Warbird
> however.
>
> What should I do in this case especially if I cannot hail the
> Warbird?

Use only drugs as approved by the director.

Cheers

Larry Dighera
April 12th 08, 08:21 PM
wrote:

>I have a quick question/concern regarding FAR 91.113d. I pretty much
>grasp the concept well. Basically apply the acronym BGAAR (baloons,
>gliders, airships, airplanes and helo's). For example, If I am flying
>my Cessna and a balloon is about 2 mi ahead of me I will alter course
>to the right and give it the ROW. Likewise for any of the other items
>on that list except, helo's, right?

Generally, yes; that's how I interpret the regulation, but the
necessity to alter course to the _right_ is only mentioned in (e):

http://ecfr.gpoaccess.gov/cgi/t/text/text-idx?c=ecfr&sid=973050ade3fdfcf7c26d6802d07239cb&rgn=div5&view=text&node=14:2.0.1.3.10&idno=14#14:2.0.1.3.10.2.4.7
(e) Approaching head-on. When aircraft are approaching each other
head-on, or nearly so, each pilot of each aircraft shall alter
course to the right.

However there are other pertinent situations:

(f) Overtaking. Each aircraft that is being overtaken has the
right-of-way and each pilot of an overtaking aircraft shall alter
course to the right to pass well clear.

So if you're flying your motor-glider (wich is classed as a glider,
not an engine driven aircraft if I understand correctly) and
overtaking an airplane, you don't have right-of-way, FAR 91.113(d)
notwithstanding, unless your flight is in distress.

Then there are the issues of landing, towing, and refueling
aircraft....

WingFlaps
April 12th 08, 08:34 PM
On Apr 13, 4:19*am, SD > wrote:
> Hello-
>
> I have a quick question/concern regarding FAR 91.113d. *I pretty much
> grasp the concept well. *Basically apply the acronym BGAAR (baloons,
> gliders, airships, airplanes and helo's). *For example, If I am flying
> my Cessna and a balloon is about 2 mi ahead of me I will alter course
> to the right and give it the ROW. *Likewise for any of the other items
> on that list except, helo's, right?
>
> Well in the event that I come across a vessel that is not listed in
> 91.113d, what do I do? *Yesterday I was flying and a Rombulan Warbird
> decloaked and was dead ahead of me. *I tried to hail him but I had no
> luck. *Since he was traveling at impulse power I was able to maneuver
> around him. *There was no wake turbulence or anything of that sort.
>
> Although starships are not included in 91.113d, I typically just give
> them the right away. *Its easy on planet earth since we are in
> Federation airspace, all federation vessels are not cloaked and tend
> to travel at impulse power. *I am concerned about the Rombulan Warbird
> however.
>
> What should I do in this case especially if I cannot hail the
> Warbird?

You think "Damn Romulans, what shall I do" and a big ballon appears
above your head with those words in it. The Romulan sees the huge
ballon and gives way (as all good cartoon pilots must obey Federation
aviation rules when manuvering in .sector 0 planet atmoshphere).

Cheers

WingFlaps
April 12th 08, 08:37 PM
On Apr 13, 4:59*am, Peter Clark
> wrote:
> On Sat, 12 Apr 2008 09:19:54 -0700 (PDT), SD >
> wrote:
>

> >Hello-
>
> >I have a quick question/concern regarding FAR 91.113d. *I pretty much
> >grasp the concept well. *Basically apply the acronym BGAAR (baloons,
> >gliders, airships, airplanes and helo's). *For example, If I am flying
> >my Cessna and a balloon is about 2 mi ahead of me I will alter course
> >to the right and give it the ROW. *Likewise for any of the other items
> >on that list except, helo's, right?
>
> >Well in the event that I come across a vessel that is not listed in
> >91.113d, what do I do? *Yesterday I was flying and a Rombulan Warbird
> >decloaked and was dead ahead of me. *I tried to hail him but I had no
> >luck. *Since he was traveling at impulse power I was able to maneuver
> >around him. *There was no wake turbulence or anything of that sort.
>
> >Although starships are not included in 91.113d, I typically just give
> >them the right away. *Its easy on planet earth since we are in
> >Federation airspace, all federation vessels are not cloaked and tend
> >to travel at impulse power. *I am concerned about the Rombulan Warbird
> >however.
>
> >What should I do in this case especially if I cannot hail the
> >Warbird?
>
> Who has better manuverability? *Better manuverability has to give way.- Hide quoted text -

Nope, you think a glider has less manuverability than an airship?

Cheers

george
April 12th 08, 09:40 PM
On Apr 13, 7:37 am, WingFlaps > wrote:

> Nope, you think a glider has less manuverability than an airship?

I wanna see an airship doing aeros......
How would you pull a stall turn :-)

WestCDA
April 13th 08, 02:12 AM
Don't **** off the Romulans - they don't have any bathrooms on board and are
usually really cranky after a few years of holding it. Your best bet is to
make a temporal adjustment and proceed straight ahead a few femtoseconds
before the warbird got there. Don't cut it too close though.

"SD" > wrote in message
> Hello-
>
> I have a quick question/concern regarding FAR 91.113d. I pretty much
> grasp the concept well. Basically apply the acronym BGAAR (baloons,
> gliders, airships, airplanes and helo's). For example, If I am flying
> my Cessna and a balloon is about 2 mi ahead of me I will alter course
> to the right and give it the ROW. Likewise for any of the other items
> on that list except, helo's, right?
>
> Well in the event that I come across a vessel that is not listed in
> 91.113d, what do I do? Yesterday I was flying and a Rombulan Warbird
> decloaked and was dead ahead of me. I tried to hail him but I had no
> luck. Since he was traveling at impulse power I was able to maneuver
> around him. There was no wake turbulence or anything of that sort.
>
> Although starships are not included in 91.113d, I typically just give
> them the right away. Its easy on planet earth since we are in
> Federation airspace, all federation vessels are not cloaked and tend
> to travel at impulse power. I am concerned about the Rombulan Warbird
> however.
>
> What should I do in this case especially if I cannot hail the
> Warbird?

Vaughn Simon
April 13th 08, 03:02 PM
"SD" > wrote in message

> I have a quick question/concern regarding FAR 91.113d. I pretty much
> grasp the concept well. Basically apply the acronym BGAAR (baloons,
> gliders, airships, airplanes and helo's). For example, If I am flying
> my Cessna and a balloon is about 2 mi ahead of me I will alter course
> to the right and give it the ROW. Likewise for any of the other items
> on that list except, helo's, right?

As a guy who flew gliders exclusively for his first few years in the cockpit,
I learned to totally disregard FAR 91.113d in most situations. (cue collective
gasp from newsgroup readers.)

The ROW rules only work when both pilots see each other, know the rules, and
are inclined to follow them. Frankly, it is rare that we can assume that all of
those conditions are met. Therefore, 91.113d is mostly useful for assigning
blame after an accident has already occurred.

As much as possible, I always assume the other plane has the ROW, and try to
occupy a bit of airspace that is well out of his way.

Vaughn

Mike Isaksen
April 13th 08, 05:06 PM
"Vaughn Simon" wrote ...
> Therefore, 91.113d is mostly useful for assigning blame after an accident
> has already occurred.
>
> As much as possible, I always assume the other plane
> has the ROW, and try to occupy a bit of airspace that
> is well out of his way.

I am aghast that you would use Common Sense over the Letter of the Law. You
have no place in this newsgroup! (well,... the way it's been lately anyway)
;-)

Phil J
April 13th 08, 06:13 PM
On Apr 12, 11:19*am, SD > wrote:
> Hello-
>
> I have a quick question/concern regarding FAR 91.113d. *I pretty much
> grasp the concept well. *Basically apply the acronym BGAAR (baloons,
> gliders, airships, airplanes and helo's). *For example, If I am flying
> my Cessna and a balloon is about 2 mi ahead of me I will alter course
> to the right and give it the ROW. *Likewise for any of the other items
> on that list except, helo's, right?
>
> Well in the event that I come across a vessel that is not listed in
> 91.113d, what do I do? *Yesterday I was flying and a Rombulan Warbird
> decloaked and was dead ahead of me. *I tried to hail him but I had no
> luck. *Since he was traveling at impulse power I was able to maneuver
> around him. *There was no wake turbulence or anything of that sort.
>
> Although starships are not included in 91.113d, I typically just give
> them the right away. *Its easy on planet earth since we are in
> Federation airspace, all federation vessels are not cloaked and tend
> to travel at impulse power. *I am concerned about the Rombulan Warbird
> however.
>
> What should I do in this case especially if I cannot hail the
> Warbird?

The starship's inertial dampers give her more maneuverability than
you, so technically you have the ROW. However Romulans are notorious
for ignoring the FARs, so your best bet is to steer well clear of the
warbird. Whatever you do, do not pass the warbird. The Romulans take
this as a sign of disrespect. There have been many atmosphere-rage
incidents in which aircraft have been vaporized by warbirds. So
unless your Cessna has shields that can absorb a disruptor blast, use
extreme caution.

Proconsul Phil

SD
April 13th 08, 07:56 PM
On Apr 13, 10:13 am, Phil J > wrote:
> On Apr 12, 11:19 am, SD > wrote:
>

> > Hello-
>
> > I have a quick question/concern regarding FAR 91.113d. I pretty much
> > grasp the concept well. Basically apply the acronym BGAAR (baloons,
> > gliders, airships, airplanes and helo's). For example, If I am flying
> > my Cessna and a balloon is about 2 mi ahead of me I will alter course
> > to the right and give it the ROW. Likewise for any of the other items
> > on that list except, helo's, right?
>
> > Well in the event that I come across a vessel that is not listed in
> > 91.113d, what do I do? Yesterday I was flying and a Rombulan Warbird
> > decloaked and was dead ahead of me. I tried to hail him but I had no
> > luck. Since he was traveling at impulse power I was able to maneuver
> > around him. There was no wake turbulence or anything of that sort.
>
> > Although starships are not included in 91.113d, I typically just give
> > them the right away. Its easy on planet earth since we are in
> > Federation airspace, all federation vessels are not cloaked and tend
> > to travel at impulse power. I am concerned about the Rombulan Warbird
> > however.
>
> > What should I do in this case especially if I cannot hail the
> > Warbird?
>
> The starship's inertial dampers give her more maneuverability than
> you, so technically you have the ROW. However Romulans are notorious
> for ignoring the FARs, so your best bet is to steer well clear of the
> warbird. Whatever you do, do not pass the warbird. The Romulans take
> this as a sign of disrespect. There have been many atmosphere-rage
> incidents in which aircraft have been vaporized by warbirds. So
> unless your Cessna has shields that can absorb a disruptor blast, use
> extreme caution.
>
> Proconsul Phil

Is there any kind of countermeasures or shield capabilities within a
Cessna 172 or is that reserved for the newer models equipped with the
Garmin G1000 package? Also, If by chance I happen to get hit with
their tractor beam, if I power down the cessna, will I maintain S&L ?

Thanks
SD

SD
April 13th 08, 08:16 PM
On Apr 13, 10:13 am, Phil J > wrote:
> On Apr 12, 11:19 am, SD > wrote:
>

> > Hello-
>
> > I have a quick question/concern regarding FAR 91.113d. I pretty much
> > grasp the concept well. Basically apply the acronym BGAAR (baloons,
> > gliders, airships, airplanes and helo's). For example, If I am flying
> > my Cessna and a balloon is about 2 mi ahead of me I will alter course
> > to the right and give it the ROW. Likewise for any of the other items
> > on that list except, helo's, right?
>
> > Well in the event that I come across a vessel that is not listed in
> > 91.113d, what do I do? Yesterday I was flying and a Rombulan Warbird
> > decloaked and was dead ahead of me. I tried to hail him but I had no
> > luck. Since he was traveling at impulse power I was able to maneuver
> > around him. There was no wake turbulence or anything of that sort.
>
> > Although starships are not included in 91.113d, I typically just give
> > them the right away. Its easy on planet earth since we are in
> > Federation airspace, all federation vessels are not cloaked and tend
> > to travel at impulse power. I am concerned about the Rombulan Warbird
> > however.
>
> > What should I do in this case especially if I cannot hail the
> > Warbird?
>
> The starship's inertial dampers give her more maneuverability than
> you, so technically you have the ROW. However Romulans are notorious
> for ignoring the FARs, so your best bet is to steer well clear of the
> warbird. Whatever you do, do not pass the warbird. The Romulans take
> this as a sign of disrespect. There have been many atmosphere-rage
> incidents in which aircraft have been vaporized by warbirds. So
> unless your Cessna has shields that can absorb a disruptor blast, use
> extreme caution.
>
> Proconsul Phil

Is there any kind of countermeasures or shield capabilities within a
Cessna 172 or is that reserved for the newer models equipped with the
Garmin G1000 package? Also, If by chance I happen to get hit with
their tractor beam, if I power down the cessna, will I maintain S&L ?

Thanks
SD

Phil J
April 14th 08, 12:04 AM
On Apr 13, 1:56*pm, SD > wrote:
> On Apr 13, 10:13 am, Phil J > wrote:
>

> > On Apr 12, 11:19 am, SD > wrote:
>
> > > Hello-
>
> > > I have a quick question/concern regarding FAR 91.113d. *I pretty much
> > > grasp the concept well. *Basically apply the acronym BGAAR (baloons,
> > > gliders, airships, airplanes and helo's). *For example, If I am flying
> > > my Cessna and a balloon is about 2 mi ahead of me I will alter course
> > > to the right and give it the ROW. *Likewise for any of the other items
> > > on that list except, helo's, right?
>
> > > Well in the event that I come across a vessel that is not listed in
> > > 91.113d, what do I do? *Yesterday I was flying and a Rombulan Warbird
> > > decloaked and was dead ahead of me. *I tried to hail him but I had no
> > > luck. *Since he was traveling at impulse power I was able to maneuver
> > > around him. *There was no wake turbulence or anything of that sort.
>
> > > Although starships are not included in 91.113d, I typically just give
> > > them the right away. *Its easy on planet earth since we are in
> > > Federation airspace, all federation vessels are not cloaked and tend
> > > to travel at impulse power. *I am concerned about the Rombulan Warbird
> > > however.
>
> > > What should I do in this case especially if I cannot hail the
> > > Warbird?
>
> > The starship's inertial dampers give her more maneuverability than
> > you, so technically you have the ROW. *However Romulans are notorious
> > for ignoring the FARs, so your best bet is to steer well clear of the
> > warbird. *Whatever you do, do not pass the warbird. *The Romulans take
> > this as a sign of disrespect. *There have been many atmosphere-rage
> > incidents in which aircraft have been vaporized by warbirds. *So
> > unless your Cessna has shields that can absorb a disruptor blast, use
> > extreme caution.
>
> > Proconsul Phil
>
> Is there any kind of countermeasures or shield capabilities within a
> Cessna 172 or is that reserved for the newer models equipped with the
> Garmin G1000 package? *Also, If by chance I happen to get hit with
> their tractor beam, if I power down the cessna, will I maintain S&L ?
>
> Thanks
> SD- Hide quoted text -

Unfortunately, none of the piston-powered Cessnas has enough spare
electrical capacity for shields. However, I believe the new impulse-
drive Citation does include shields as an option. It's a shame the
government won't allow civilian use of cloaking devices. That would
require far less power than shields, and any aircraft with at least
200 horsepower could be equipped. It's possible you could get your
hands on an illegal cloaking device from a Ferengi, but it will cost
you plenty and there would of course be absolutely no guarantee on it,
IF it even works at all.

If you do happen to get hit with a Romulan tractor beam, it will most
likely destroy your aircraft. They are non too subtle in their use of
tractor beams. And if they pull you aboard their ship, any males on
your aircraft would most likely become playthings for the female crew
members. That may sound appealing, but believe me you won't enjoy it.

Proconsul Phil

BT
April 14th 08, 05:43 AM
he misspelled Balloon also.

"Bertie the Bunyip" > wrote in message
> SD > wrote in news:258bf789-9611-4bf9-8d8d-
> :
>
>> Hello-
>>
>> I have a quick question/concern regarding FAR 91.113d. I pretty much
>> grasp the concept well. Basically apply the acronym BGAAR (baloons,
>> gliders, airships, airplanes and helo's). For example, If I am flying
>> my Cessna and a balloon is about 2 mi ahead of me I will alter course
>> to the right and give it the ROW. Likewise for any of the other items
>> on that list except, helo's, right?
>>
>> Well in the event that I come across a vessel that is not listed in
>> 91.113d, what do I do? Yesterday I was flying and a Rombulan Warbird
>> decloaked and was dead ahead of me. I tried to hail him but I had no
>> luck. Since he was traveling at impulse power I was able to maneuver
>> around him. There was no wake turbulence or anything of that sort.
>>
>> Although starships are not included in 91.113d, I typically just give
>> them the right away. Its easy on planet earth since we are in
>> Federation airspace, all federation vessels are not cloaked and te
>> to travel at impulse power. I am concerned about the Rombulan Warbird
>> however.
>>
>> What should I do in this case especially if I cannot hail the
>> Warbird?
>>

> You mis-spelled Romulan
>

> Bertie

WingFlaps
April 14th 08, 10:13 AM
On Apr 14, 4:43*pm, "BT" > wrote:
> he misspelled Balloon also.

I did too, but balloon, as an inproper noun, should not be
capitalized.

Cheers-

Gig 601Xl Builder
April 14th 08, 02:21 PM
Peter Clark wrote:
> On Sat, 12 Apr 2008 09:19:54 -0700 (PDT), SD >
> wrote:
>
>> Hello-
>>
>> I have a quick question/concern regarding FAR 91.113d. I pretty much
>> grasp the concept well. Basically apply the acronym BGAAR (baloons,
>> gliders, airships, airplanes and helo's). For example, If I am flying
>> my Cessna and a balloon is about 2 mi ahead of me I will alter course
>> to the right and give it the ROW. Likewise for any of the other items
>> on that list except, helo's, right?
>>
>> Well in the event that I come across a vessel that is not listed in
>> 91.113d, what do I do? Yesterday I was flying and a Rombulan Warbird
>> decloaked and was dead ahead of me. I tried to hail him but I had no
>> luck. Since he was traveling at impulse power I was able to maneuver
>> around him. There was no wake turbulence or anything of that sort.
>>
>> Although starships are not included in 91.113d, I typically just give
>> them the right away. Its easy on planet earth since we are in
>> Federation airspace, all federation vessels are not cloaked and tend
>> to travel at impulse power. I am concerned about the Rombulan Warbird
>> however.
>>
>> What should I do in this case especially if I cannot hail the
>> Warbird?
>
> Who has better manuverability? Better manuverability has to give way.

I think in this case the question is, "who has shields?"

SD
April 14th 08, 10:08 PM
On Apr 14, 6:21*am, Gig 601Xl Builder >
wrote:
> Peter Clark wrote:
> > On Sat, 12 Apr 2008 09:19:54 -0700 (PDT), SD >
> > wrote:
>
> >> Hello-
>
> >> I have a quick question/concern regarding FAR 91.113d. *I pretty much
> >> grasp the concept well. *Basically apply the acronym BGAAR (baloons,
> >> gliders, airships, airplanes and helo's). *For example, If I am flying
> >> my Cessna and a balloon is about 2 mi ahead of me I will alter course
> >> to the right and give it the ROW. *Likewise for any of the other items
> >> on that list except, helo's, right?
>
> >> Well in the event that I come across a vessel that is not listed in
> >> 91.113d, what do I do? *Yesterday I was flying and a Rombulan Warbird
> >> decloaked and was dead ahead of me. *I tried to hail him but I had no
> >> luck. *Since he was traveling at impulse power I was able to maneuver
> >> around him. *There was no wake turbulence or anything of that sort.
>
> >> Although starships are not included in 91.113d, I typically just give
> >> them the right away. *Its easy on planet earth since we are in
> >> Federation airspace, all federation vessels are not cloaked and tend
> >> to travel at impulse power. *I am concerned about the Rombulan Warbird
> >> however.
>
> >> What should I do in this case especially if I cannot hail the
> >> Warbird?
>
> > Who has better manuverability? *Better manuverability has to give way.
>
> I think in this case the question is, "who has shields?"- Hide quoted text -

When you are submitting reports to FAA or NTSB, do you get fined for
misspelling balloon or rombulan? I just wanted to know because I plan
on submitting a report the next time I come into contact with an
unresponsive flock of warbirds.

Google