PDA

View Full Version : 1910 Henry Farman Biplane

HEMI-Powered[_2_]
April 17th 08, 04:13 AM
Don Pyeatt added these comments in the current discussion du jour

> Just discernable on the tip of a rudder is "Henry Farman". More
> interesting is the name "Paulham" below.
>
> Louis Paulham was a pioneering French aviator in the early
> 1900's, winning many prizes and touring the U.S. with the
> "French Aviators" and performing in airshows across the country.

Looks like something in the movie "Those Magnificent Men In Their
Flying Machines"

--
HP, aka Jerry

"That's all I have to say about that" - Forrest Gump

Don Pyeatt
April 17th 08, 04:48 AM
Just discernable on the tip of a rudder is "Henry Farman". More interesting
is the name "Paulham" below.

Louis Paulham was a pioneering French aviator in the early 1900's, winning
many prizes and touring the U.S. with the "French Aviators" and performing
in airshows across the country.

In August 1908, Paulham established an endurance record of 2 hours 53
minutes and 24 seconds, beating Wilber Wright's previous record of 2 hours
20 minutes.

On 12 January 1910, Paulham set a new world altitude record of 4,600 feet at
Aviation Field, Los Angeles, in a Farman Biplane - perhaps the airplane in
this photo.

In April 1910, Paulham won a $50,000 prize in "the greatest race in the
history of mankind" by flying from London to Manchester - a distance of 150
miles - with only one overnight stop at Litchfield.

These are only a few of the accolades received by Paulham. Exciting times
they were.

Don

Don Pyeatt
April 17th 08, 05:05 AM
Oops...his name was "Paulhan"

"Don Pyeatt" > wrote in message
> Just discernable on the tip of a rudder is "Henry Farman". More
> interesting is the name "Paulham" below.
>
> Louis Paulham was a pioneering French aviator in the early 1900's, winning
> many prizes and touring the U.S. with the "French Aviators" and performing
> in airshows across the country.
>
> In August 1908, Paulham established an endurance record of 2 hours 53
> minutes and 24 seconds, beating Wilber Wright's previous record of 2 hours
> 20 minutes.
>
> On 12 January 1910, Paulham set a new world altitude record of 4,600 feet
> at Aviation Field, Los Angeles, in a Farman Biplane - perhaps the airplane
> in this photo.
>
> In April 1910, Paulham won a $50,000 prize in "the greatest race in the
> history of mankind" by flying from London to Manchester - a distance of
> 150 miles - with only one overnight stop at Litchfield.
>
> These are only a few of the accolades received by Paulham. Exciting times
> they were.
>
> Don

Google