PDA

View Full Version : flight Instruments on the Cheap

Dick[_1_]
April 21st 08, 11:59 PM
Anyone know about a seminar at SNF
discussing flight instruments made cheaply??

A while ago, I remember someone describing an attitude gage consisting of a
tube loop (the loop was orientated fore and aft) filled with a liquid.

Wonder if some arrangement utilizing a manometer (sp? "u" shaped open ended
tube is meant) might due for airspeed??

A buddy just found A.S.S. raised an airspeed unit $70 over the 2007/2008
catalog price...

Thanks, Dick

Paul Tomblin
April 22nd 08, 02:00 AM
In a previous article, "Dick" > said:
>A while ago, I remember someone describing an attitude gage consisting of a
>tube loop (the loop was orientated fore and aft) filled with a liquid.

That wouldn't work. It would point straight down during an coordinated
turn.

--
Paul Tomblin > http://blog.xcski.com/
We'll burn that bridge when we come to it.

Dick[_1_]
April 22nd 08, 01:34 PM
If my refreshed <G> memory serves, it was a four sided glass tube "loop"
with vertical instrument panel mounted portion indicating pitch via fluid
level while firewall vertical portion was much shorter and remaining
portions were therefore not parallel. Apparently it was used on early mail
planes after WW1 for flight in IFR conditions. Believe thinking at the time
,how simple to replace "glass" with plastic tubing..

Thanks for the comment but in any case, it is the airspeed alternative I'm
seeking.

"Paul Tomblin" > wrote in message
> In a previous article, "Dick" > said:
>>A while ago, I remember someone describing an attitude gage consisting of
>>tube loop (the loop was orientated fore and aft) filled with a liquid.
>
> That wouldn't work. It would point straight down during an coordinated
> turn.
>

> --
> Paul Tomblin > http://blog.xcski.com/
> We'll burn that bridge when we come to it.

steveukman
April 22nd 08, 09:38 PM
There is the Hall ASI that uses forward air pressure to lift a marker
in a tube.
If my memory serves me well it is is at hallwindmeter dot com.
I was thinking of using one as a backup gauge on a slow biplane. I am
not sure what your ASI range requirements are but this may be a good
place to look.

Best Regards
Steve

On Apr 21, 5:59*pm, "Dick" > wrote:
> Anyone know about a seminar at SNF
> discussing flight instruments made cheaply??
>
> A while ago, I remember someone describing an attitude gage consisting of a
> tube loop (the loop was orientated fore and aft) filled with a liquid.
>
> Wonder if some arrangement utilizing a manometer (sp? "u" shaped open ended
> tube is meant) might due for airspeed??
>
> A buddy just found A.S.S. raised an airspeed unit $70 over the 2007/2008
> catalog price...
>
> Thanks, Dick

Dick[_1_]
April 23rd 08, 01:17 AM
Thanks. Interesting and I've asked manufacturer if a higher mph range might
be made available.

I wonder what the downside of such an instrument is??

On Apr 21, 5:59 pm, "Dick" > wrote:
> Anyone know about a seminar at SNF
> discussing flight instruments made cheaply??
>
> A while ago, I remember someone describing an attitude gage consisting of
> tube loop (the loop was orientated fore and aft) filled with a liquid.
>
> Wonder if some arrangement utilizing a manometer (sp? "u" shaped open
> ended
> tube is meant) might due for airspeed??
>
> A buddy just found A.S.S. raised an airspeed unit $70 over the 2007/2008
> catalog price...
>
> Thanks, Dick

Maxwell[_2_]
April 23rd 08, 02:23 AM
"Dick" > wrote in message
> Thanks. Interesting and I've asked manufacturer if a higher mph range
> might be made available.
>
> I wonder what the downside of such an instrument is??

The up side (besides cost) is extremely good resolution at slow air speeds.
Especially 0 to 30, where conventional ASIs are usually less reliable, if
even calibrated in that range. I bought one from AS&S years ago calibrated
for a helo that wasn't bad, but not nearly as repeatable as a Hall in the
low speed range.

The only down side I recall is their reliance on gravity to oppose their
reading. They bump around a little bit on bumpy days, and of coarse are
useless when inverted. I don't recall much change on positive G's. They
seemed accurate in 2 or three G turns because the indicating disk is very
light weight. Just the zero and half G's loads were a problem.

GeorgeB
April 23rd 08, 11:26 AM
It might be realistic to look at Dwyer Instruments; there are many
offerings. In particular, the $50 unit
http://www.dwyer-inst.com/htdocs/airvelocity/SeriesMWSpec.CFM is 0-55
kt, resolution of 0.2 kt. Accuracy is about 5% of reading. There are
mini-pitot based models, rising vane (as used on some ultralight type
craft I've seen) and these rotating units.

On Tue, 22 Apr 2008 20:23:30 -0500, "Maxwell" <luv2^fly99@cox.^net>
wrote:

>"Dick" > wrote in message
>> Thanks. Interesting and I've asked manufacturer if a higher mph range
>> might be made available.
>>
>> I wonder what the downside of such an instrument is??
>
>The up side (besides cost) is extremely good resolution at slow air speeds.
>Especially 0 to 30, where conventional ASIs are usually less reliable, if
>even calibrated in that range. I bought one from AS&S years ago calibrated
>for a helo that wasn't bad, but not nearly as repeatable as a Hall in the
>low speed range.
>
>The only down side I recall is their reliance on gravity to oppose their
>reading. They bump around a little bit on bumpy days, and of coarse are
>useless when inverted. I don't recall much change on positive G's. They
>seemed accurate in 2 or three G turns because the indicating disk is very
>light weight. Just the zero and half G's loads were a problem.

steveukman
April 23rd 08, 01:35 PM
That was the reason that I delayed ... but I realised that for my
purposes (backup for an EFIS) I would only be flying VFR and the only
time I *really* needed a backup ASI would be at landing time, when my
speed would be low enough.

On Apr 22, 7:17*pm, "Dick" > wrote:
> Thanks. Interesting and I've asked manufacturer if a higher mph range might
> be made available.

April 23rd 08, 03:29 PM
On Apr 21, 6:59 pm, "Dick" > wrote:
> Anyone know about a seminar at SNF
> discussing flight instruments made cheaply??

Does anyone know where I might obtain flight instruments that don't
work? I need them for a cockpit demonstrator -- everything has to
look right, but it's not going to do anything. Thanks.

Gig 601Xl Builder
April 23rd 08, 03:37 PM
wrote:
> On Apr 21, 6:59 pm, "Dick" > wrote:
>> Anyone know about a seminar at SNF
>> discussing flight instruments made cheaply??
>
> Does anyone know where I might obtain flight instruments that don't
> work? I need them for a cockpit demonstrator -- everything has to
> look right, but it's not going to do anything. Thanks.

Well you can buy some cheap ones made in China from lots of places.
Google Aircraft Spruce. They might or might not work when you get them
but don't worry they won't work for long.

Seriously though, check EBay.

Maxwell[_2_]
April 23rd 08, 05:54 PM
"GeorgeB" > wrote in message
> It might be realistic to look at Dwyer Instruments; there are many
> offerings. In particular, the $50 unit
> http://www.dwyer-inst.com/htdocs/airvelocity/SeriesMWSpec.CFM is 0-55
> kt, resolution of 0.2 kt. Accuracy is about 5% of reading. There are
> mini-pitot based models, rising vane (as used on some ultralight type
> craft I've seen) and these rotating units.

That would certainly address the bumpy conditions issue. But the bumpy
conditions really aren't a problem even on approach. It doesn't actually
bump very much.

What kind of aircraft are you flying?

GeorgeB
April 24th 08, 05:19 PM
I don't fly, but enjoy reading and learning; unlike others, I TRY to
not do anything that even smells like trolling.

On Wed, 23 Apr 2008 11:54:34 -0500, "Maxwell" <luv2^fly99@cox.^net>
wrote:

>"GeorgeB" > wrote in message
>> It might be realistic to look at Dwyer Instruments; there are many
>> offerings. In particular, the $50 unit
>> http://www.dwyer-inst.com/htdocs/airvelocity/SeriesMWSpec.CFM is 0-55
>> kt, resolution of 0.2 kt. Accuracy is about 5% of reading. There are
>> mini-pitot based models, rising vane (as used on some ultralight type
>> craft I've seen) and these rotating units.
>>

>That would certainly address the bumpy conditions issue. But the bumpy
>conditions really aren't a problem even on approach. It doesn't actually
>bump very much.
>
>What kind of aircraft are you flying?

Maxwell[_2_]
April 25th 08, 02:54 AM
Nothing wrong with that.

"GeorgeB" > wrote in message
>I don't fly, but enjoy reading and learning; unlike others, I TRY to
> not do anything that even smells like trolling.
>
> On Wed, 23 Apr 2008 11:54:34 -0500, "Maxwell" <luv2^fly99@cox.^net>
> wrote:
>

>>"GeorgeB" > wrote in message
>>> It might be realistic to look at Dwyer Instruments; there are many
>>> offerings. In particular, the $50 unit
>>> http://www.dwyer-inst.com/htdocs/airvelocity/SeriesMWSpec.CFM is 0-55
>>> kt, resolution of 0.2 kt. Accuracy is about 5% of reading. There are
>>> mini-pitot based models, rising vane (as used on some ultralight type
>>> craft I've seen) and these rotating units.
>>>

>>That would certainly address the bumpy conditions issue. But the bumpy
>>conditions really aren't a problem even on approach. It doesn't actually
>>bump very much.
>>
>>What kind of aircraft are you flying?

D.Rizzato
April 25th 08, 03:45 AM
Mine lasted 75 Hours and than they ask
for $ 350 Bucks to have it fixed.
If you like to get some crap and fly dangerously go
to Falcon Gauges or Wultrad, Inc.

"Gig 601Xl Builder" > wrote in message
m...
> wrote:
>> On Apr 21, 6:59 pm, "Dick" > wrote:
>>> Anyone know about a seminar at SNF
>>> discussing flight instruments made cheaply??
>>
>> Does anyone know where I might obtain flight instruments that don't
>> work? I need them for a cockpit demonstrator -- everything has to
>> look right, but it's not going to do anything. Thanks.
>>

> Well you can buy some cheap ones made in China from lots of places. Google
> Aircraft Spruce. They might or might not work when you get them but don't
> worry they won't work for long.
>
> Seriously though, check EBay.

Craig[_2_]
April 25th 08, 07:20 AM
On Apr 24, 7:45 pm, "D.Rizzato" > wrote:
> Mine lasted 75 Hours and than they ask
> for $ 350 Bucks to have it fixed.
> If you like to get some crap and fly dangerously go
> to Falcon Gauges or Wultrad, Inc.
>
> "Gig 601Xl Builder" > wrote in messagenews:K9WdnVXd2JoN1JLVnZ2dnUVZ_viunZ2d@super news.com...
>
> > wrote:
>
> >> Does anyone know where I might obtain flight instruments that don't
> >> work? I need them for a cockpit demonstrator -- everything has to
> >> look right, but it's not going to do anything. Thanks.
>
> > Well you can buy some cheap ones made in China from lots of places. Google
> > Aircraft Spruce. They might or might not work when you get them but don't
> > worry they won't work for long.
>
> > Seriously though, check EBay.

You might look here.
http://www.nielsenkellerman.com/ww/1000.html