PDA

View Full Version : 1-35 Canopy

April 27th 08, 06:29 AM
An evil gust of wind totalled a Canopy for one of the LVVSA member's
1-35 today. Initial searches for a source for a new one didn't yield
good news. Any help would be appreciated.
TIA

Mike[_8_]
April 27th 08, 06:42 AM
On Apr 26, 11:29 pm, wrote:
> An evil gust of wind totalled a Canopy for one of the LVVSA member's
> 1-35 today. Initial searches for a source for a new one didn't yield
> good news. Any help would be appreciated.
> TIA

SAC used Mecaplex as the source of the 1-35 canopy-I think.

JJ Sinclair
April 27th 08, 01:30 PM
I have used canopies made here in the US for years, good quality at a
good price without the shipping cost from Europe. Check with Ray
Poquette at (530) 272-2556 Near
Sacramento, CA
JJ

Mike wrote:
> On Apr 26, 11:29 pm, wrote:
> > An evil gust of wind totalled a Canopy for one of the LVVSA member's
> > 1-35 today. Initial searches for a source for a new one didn't yield
> > good news. Any help would be appreciated.
> > TIA
>
> SAC used Mecaplex as the source of the 1-35 canopy-I think.

Wayne Paul
April 27th 08, 01:44 PM
Mike,

Iris Striedieck makes excellent canopy covers. The 1-35 is on her pattern
list. (http://www.ridgesewing.com/}

Wayne
HP-14 "Six Foxtrot"
http://www.soaridaho.com/Schreder/Trading_Post/HP-14_Canopy_Cover.jpg

"Mike" > wrote in message
> On Apr 26, 11:29 pm, wrote:
>> An evil gust of wind totalled a Canopy for one of the LVVSA member's
>> 1-35 today. Initial searches for a source for a new one didn't yield
>> good news. Any help would be appreciated.
>> TIA
>
> SAC used Mecaplex as the source of the 1-35 canopy-I think.

Wayne Paul
April 27th 08, 01:50 PM
Too early in the morning. I see you are locking for a canopy, NOT a new
cover.

"Wayne Paul" > wrote in message
m...
> Mike,
>
> Iris Striedieck makes excellent canopy covers. The 1-35 is on her pattern
> list. (http://www.ridgesewing.com/}
>
> Wayne
> HP-14 "Six Foxtrot"
> http://www.soaridaho.com/Schreder/Trading_Post/HP-14_Canopy_Cover.jpg
>
> "Mike" > wrote in message
>> On Apr 26, 11:29 pm, wrote:
>>> An evil gust of wind totalled a Canopy for one of the LVVSA member's
>>> 1-35 today. Initial searches for a source for a new one didn't yield
>>> good news. Any help would be appreciated.
>>> TIA
>>
>> SAC used Mecaplex as the source of the 1-35 canopy-I think.

Frank Whiteley
April 27th 08, 04:09 PM
On Apr 26, 11:29 pm, wrote:
> An evil gust of wind totalled a Canopy for one of the LVVSA member's
> 1-35 today. Initial searches for a source for a new one didn't yield
> good news. Any help would be appreciated.
> TIA

You might try www.toddscanopies.com if you can't find an original or
molded copy. He's done a few gliders and claims to be able to do most
if you provide the canopy frame.

Frank Whiteley

April 28th 08, 07:42 PM
On Apr 27, 8:09*am, Frank Whiteley > wrote:
> On Apr 26, 11:29 pm, wrote:
>
> > An evil gust of wind totalled a Canopy for one of the LVVSA member's
> > 1-35 today. *Initial searches for a source for a new one didn't yield
> > good news. *Any help would be appreciated.
> > TIA
>
> You might trywww.toddscanopies.comif you can't find an original or
> molded copy. *He's done a few gliders and claims to be able to do most
> if you provide the canopy frame.
>
> Frank Whiteley

I contacted Todd, and he can likely make a new canopy. In my search,
I ran across a 1-35 page, and several references to Thermo Tec having
made 1-35 canopies in the past. I think another club member already
contacted Thermo Tec and got a negative from them. Drat!

Marc Ramsey
April 28th 08, 08:17 PM
wrote:
> I contacted Todd, and he can likely make a new canopy. In my search,
> I ran across a 1-35 page, and several references to Thermo Tec having
> made 1-35 canopies in the past. I think another club member already
> contacted Thermo Tec and got a negative from them. Drat!

Just be aware that Todd's canopies are blown, not molded, so it won't
look quite the same. There is also the interesting question of what
sort of paper work is required to use a non-certified canopy on a type
certified aircraft.

Marc

April 28th 08, 08:42 PM
On Apr 27, 8:09*am, Frank Whiteley > wrote:
> On Apr 26, 11:29 pm, wrote:
>
> > An evil gust of wind totalled a Canopy for one of the LVVSA member's
> > 1-35 today. *Initial searches for a source for a new one didn't yield
> > good news. *Any help would be appreciated.
> > TIA
>
> You might trywww.toddscanopies.comif you can't find an original or
> molded copy. *He's done a few gliders and claims to be able to do most
> if you provide the canopy frame.
>
> Frank Whiteley

Update: I found a 1-35 page, and there were a few references to Ray P.
(Thermotec) making them, but I think another club member already
talked to them and they said they don't make one. Hmmmm. I've also
talked to Todd, and so far that looks like the most promising lead.

Mike[_8_]
April 29th 08, 02:34 AM
On Apr 28, 1:42 pm, wrote:
> On Apr 27, 8:09 am, Frank Whiteley > wrote:
>
> > On Apr 26, 11:29 pm, wrote:
>
> > > An evil gust of wind totalled a Canopy for one of the LVVSA member's
> > > 1-35 today. Initial searches for a source for a new one didn't yield
> > > good news. Any help would be appreciated.
> > > TIA
>
> > You might trywww.toddscanopies.comifyou can't find an original or
> > molded copy. He's done a few gliders and claims to be able to do most
> > if you provide the canopy frame.
>
> > Frank Whiteley
>
> Update: I found a 1-35 page, and there were a few references to Ray P.
> (Thermotec) making them, but I think another club member already
> talked to them and they said they don't make one. Hmmmm. I've also
> talked to Todd, and so far that looks like the most promising lead.

Try Les Schweizer 6074081416. Maybe he can help.

Aerowerk
April 29th 08, 02:57 AM
Hi all,

From Les and Kyle Schweizer's rather sparse website here is some
contact info:

607-594-3329

The website is http://www.klsoaring.com/. Les has retired from
Schweizer, has obtained all the Schweizer glider TC's from the
company, and is in business supporting Schweizer gliders. The sad
story on the 1-35 canopy is that the original molds are lost or
destroyed. I'd recommend talking to Les about the canopy anyway.
Kyle had mentioned that they were considering getting a 1-35 mold done
again, perhaps if there is interest it would happen quicker. I'm
hoping to see the 1-35 canopy available again, as I just bought a
1-35C. Doesn't need a canopy now, but I'd feel better knowing I could
get one.

Schweizer pulls their own canopies, in general. I thought they made
their own 1-35 canopies too, though I can't swear to this. If they
weren't making their own, they wouldn't have lost the mold.

-- Bryan

April 30th 08, 03:50 PM
On Apr 28, 6:57*pm, Aerowerk > wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> From Les and Kyle Schweizer's rather sparse website here is some
> contact info:
>

> 607-594-3329
>
> The website ishttp://www.klsoaring.com/. *Les has retired from
> Schweizer, has obtained all the Schweizer glider TC's from the
> company, and is in business supporting Schweizer gliders. *The sad
> story on the 1-35 canopy is that the original molds are lost or
> destroyed. *I'd recommend talking to Les about the canopy anyway.
> Kyle had mentioned that they were considering getting a 1-35 mold done
> again, perhaps if there is interest it would happen quicker. *I'm
> hoping to see the 1-35 canopy available again, as I just bought a
> 1-35C. *Doesn't need a canopy now, but I'd feel better knowing I could
> get one.
>
> Schweizer pulls their own canopies, in general. *I thought they made
> their own 1-35 canopies too, though I can't swear to this. *If they
> weren't making their own, they wouldn't have lost the mold.
>
> -- Bryan

The owner is trying to contact Les Schweizer. I called Ray
(Thermotec) and he does have the 1-35 mold. $1300 for tinted, plus the
~ $300 window, plus ~ $300 for boxing and shipping. I also called
Todd at Todds Canopies. Blown, not molded, $280 for tinted, container
included, plus shipping.

Wayne Paul
April 30th 08, 04:53 PM
Ray Poquette provided the replacement canopy for the HP-16T that I owned.
(Brian Case is the current owner.) The quality of Ray's canopies is
outstanding.
(http://www.soaridaho.com/Schreder/HP-16/N16VP/N16VP_Mackay_IDa.JPG)

Wayne
HP-14 "Six Foxtrot"
http://www.soaridaho.com/

> wrote in message

The owner is trying to contact Les Schweizer. I called Ray
(Thermotec) and he does have the 1-35 mold. $1300 for tinted, plus the
~ $300 window, plus ~ $300 for boxing and shipping. I also called
Todd at Todds Canopies. Blown, not molded, $280 for tinted, container
included, plus shipping.

Mike[_8_]
April 30th 08, 05:00 PM
On Apr 30, 8:50*am, wrote:
> On Apr 28, 6:57*pm, Aerowerk > wrote:
>

> > Hi all,
>
> > From Les and Kyle Schweizer's rather sparse website here is some
> > contact info:
>

> > 607-594-3329
>
> > The website ishttp://www.klsoaring.com/. *Les has retired from
> > Schweizer, has obtained all the Schweizer glider TC's from the
> > company, and is in business supporting Schweizer gliders. *The sad
> > story on the 1-35 canopy is that the original molds are lost or
> > destroyed. *I'd recommend talking to Les about the canopy anyway.
> > Kyle had mentioned that they were considering getting a 1-35 mold done
> > again, perhaps if there is interest it would happen quicker. *I'm
> > hoping to see the 1-35 canopy available again, as I just bought a
> > 1-35C. *Doesn't need a canopy now, but I'd feel better knowing I could
> > get one.
>
> > Schweizer pulls their own canopies, in general. *I thought they made
> > their own 1-35 canopies too, though I can't swear to this. *If they
> > weren't making their own, they wouldn't have lost the mold.
>
> > -- Bryan
>
> The owner is trying to contact Les Schweizer. *I called Ray
> (Thermotec) and he does have the 1-35 mold. $1300 for tinted, plus the
> ~ $300 window, plus ~ $300 for boxing and shipping. *I also called
> Todd at Todds Canopies. *Blown, not molded, $280 for tinted, container
> included, plus shipping.- Hide quoted text -

While SAC was making the 1-35, I think their cost of the
transparancies from Mecaplex was nearly $1000.00 per. Ray makes great
canopies and at $1300.00, it is a very good deal. He made a mold from
a broken Phoebus canopy I sent him and the result was excellent. A
blown canopy would be a last choice if nothing else is available.

Tim Mara
April 30th 08, 06:18 PM
DO NOT buy a blown canopy for this type glider......from anyone!
these long and relatively shapeless (no over bubble)canopies like all modern
sailplanes cannot be made with good optics by free blowing and
stretching...I don't care who is doing them!
tim
Please visit the Wings & Wheels website at www.wingsandwheels.com

"Wayne Paul" > wrote in message
m...
> Ray Poquette provided the replacement canopy for the HP-16T that I owned.
> (Brian Case is the current owner.) The quality of Ray's canopies is
> outstanding.
> (http://www.soaridaho.com/Schreder/HP-16/N16VP/N16VP_Mackay_IDa.JPG)
>
> Wayne
> HP-14 "Six Foxtrot"
> http://www.soaridaho.com/
>
> > wrote in message
>
> The owner is trying to contact Les Schweizer. I called Ray
> (Thermotec) and he does have the 1-35 mold. $1300 for tinted, plus the
> ~ $300 window, plus ~ $300 for boxing and shipping. I also called
> Todd at Todds Canopies. Blown, not molded, $280 for tinted, container
> included, plus shipping.

Google