PDA

View Full Version : Area Long Term Weather forecast/history

SabbaSolo
April 29th 08, 06:32 AM
Hi,

Any suggestions for getting a long term historically based weather
forecast several months ahead?

I am planning a trip to the USA with lots of flying. I would like to
select the area to fly in taking into account the likely weather,
amongst other factors. How many days if any am I likely to be IFR or
marginal VFR? How likely am I to be diverting and grounded part way
on long cross countries?

Likely areas are Florida and SC, NY/NJ/PA, TX.

200hr PPL. Renting whatever I can find, although I normally fly a
Piper Lance at home

Larry Dighera
April 29th 08, 12:57 PM
On Mon, 28 Apr 2008 22:32:20 -0700 (PDT), SabbaSolo
> wrote in
>:

>Any suggestions for getting a long term historically based weather
>forecast several months ahead?

The longest range forecast I'm aware of is the National Weather
Service 7-day zone forecast. Here's a typical one:
http://www.wrh.noaa.gov/forecast/MapClick.php?site=lox&smap=1&textField1=34.453966&textField2=-119.80048
It's often accurate out that far.

SabbaSolo
April 29th 08, 02:12 PM
On Apr 29, 2:57 pm, Larry Dighera > wrote:
> On Mon, 28 Apr 2008 22:32:20 -0700 (PDT), SabbaSolo
> > wrote in
> >:
>
> >Any suggestions for getting a long term historically based weather
> >forecast several months ahead?
>
> The longest range forecast I'm aware of is the National Weather
> Service 7-day zone forecast. Here's a typical one:http://www.wrh.noaa.gov/forecast/MapClick.php?site=lox&smap=1&textFie...
> It's often accurate out that far.

Thanks, but I think I am looking for something that shows typical
Florida weather in July, perhaps with some adjustments for this year's
characteristics for example.

I have found a few sites that give temperatures and rainfall by month,
but obviously that doesn't give me enough information to infer how
many days it is likely that VFR will be possible.

Gig 601Xl Builder
April 29th 08, 05:12 PM
SabbaSolo wrote:
> On Apr 29, 2:57 pm, Larry Dighera > wrote:
>> On Mon, 28 Apr 2008 22:32:20 -0700 (PDT), SabbaSolo
>> > wrote in
>> >:
>>
>>> Any suggestions for getting a long term historically based weather
>>> forecast several months ahead?
>> The longest range forecast I'm aware of is the National Weather
>> Service 7-day zone forecast. Here's a typical one:http://www.wrh.noaa.gov/forecast/MapClick.php?site=lox&smap=1&textFie...
>> It's often accurate out that far.
>
> Thanks, but I think I am looking for something that shows typical
> Florida weather in July, perhaps with some adjustments for this year's
> characteristics for example.
>
> I have found a few sites that give temperatures and rainfall by month,
> but obviously that doesn't give me enough information to infer how
> many days it is likely that VFR will be possible.

Unless a Hurricane is heading in, in any given FL location, you can
expect pretty good VFR in the morning and a chance of thunderstorms or
at least showers in the afternoon.

Paul Dow (Remove Caps in mail address)
April 29th 08, 06:33 PM
Weather Underground (I don't _think_ they're affiliated with the
terrorist organization) www.wunderground.com has historical data
available. Select a state from the map, and then choose the city you
want. On the city detail page there is a link for Weather History for
This Location. From there you can chose the date you want or see a chart
of the annual data.

SabbaSolo wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Any suggestions for getting a long term historically based weather
> forecast several months ahead?
>
> I am planning a trip to the USA with lots of flying. I would like to
> select the area to fly in taking into account the likely weather,
> amongst other factors. How many days if any am I likely to be IFR or
> marginal VFR? How likely am I to be diverting and grounded part way
> on long cross countries?
>
> Likely areas are Florida and SC, NY/NJ/PA, TX.
>
> 200hr PPL. Renting whatever I can find, although I normally fly a
> Piper Lance at home

Google