PDA

View Full Version : Covering holes

May 1st 08, 04:16 AM
My Speed Astir has a couple 1 1/2 ish holes in the fuse. One for the
ballast dump, and another required to work on the undercarriage. I've
always hated using 3 strips of tape to cover them. Today I went to a
hobby shop and bought some trim MonoKote (TM). It's 4 mil thick mylar
with an adhesive back. It comes in lots of colors, including white.
I cut a bunch of circles to apply this weekend. The adhesive may be
difficult to get loose at the end of the season, so I'll let y'all
know then if it's a real pain.

5Z
May 1st 08, 08:22 PM
A slightly more expensive, but much neater solution is to have a sign
shop make up some dots of various sizes. They typically have a
minimum order of material used, so check with your friends and order
up all the various sizes needed.

-Tom

Martin Gregorie[_1_]
May 1st 08, 09:55 PM
On Thu, 01 May 2008 12:22:27 -0700, 5Z wrote:

> A slightly more expensive, but much neater solution is to have a sign
> shop make up some dots of various sizes. They typically have a
> minimum order of material used, so check with your friends and order
> up all the various sizes needed.

I'm using Monocote trim film to cover the rudder mount access holes
on my Standard Libelle. I think its thickness is marginal for the task,
but after two years its not shown any sign of damage or of coming off.

--
martin@ | Martin Gregorie
gregorie. |

May 2nd 08, 04:48 AM
James,

If you ever intend to fly with water in your Speed Astir, do not cover
over the hull drain hole. As you know, the water ballast dump valve
is inside the fuselage and when that valve leaks you need to provide a
way for the water to get out. I flew with a Speed Astir for many
years.

Guy Acheson "DDS"

toad
May 2nd 08, 01:30 PM
On May 1, 11:48 pm, wrote:
> James,
>
> If you ever intend to fly with water in your Speed Astir, do not cover
> over the hull drain hole. As you know, the water ballast dump valve
> is inside the fuselage and when that valve leaks you need to provide a
> way for the water to get out. I flew with a Speed Astir for many
> years.
>
> Guy Acheson "DDS"

I assume that this cover could be removed without much trouble. Is
there any reason why not ?

Todd Smith
Grob 102, "3S"

May 2nd 08, 01:47 PM

> I assume that this cover could be removed without much trouble. �Is
> there any reason why not ?
>
> Todd Smith
> Grob 102, "3S"

People forget things at the worst times. I know James would not. But
I have. Also, some of the tapes/films that are being discussed become
very hard to remove if they are left in place for a long time.

There is one more function for the rather large fuselage drain hole.
To allow air to exit the cockpit. When I taped mine over the cockpit
ventilation became very weak.

Guy

May 2nd 08, 03:39 PM

> People forget things at the worst times. *I know James would not. *
YES I WOULD!! ;-D

> I have. *Also, some of the tapes/films that are being discussed become
> very hard to remove if they are left in place for a long time.
>
> There is one more function for the rather large fuselage drain hole.
> To allow air to exit the cockpit. *When I taped mine over the cockpit
> ventilation became very weak.
>
> Guy
You must be referring to the undercarriage pivot access hole. Mine is
always taped over anyhow, except when I work on the undercarriage.

I like the sign shop material idea. We have a club member with a sign
and graphics business. I'll check with hiim.

May 2nd 08, 03:59 PM
No, I am not referring to the undercarrage pivot access hole. That is
on the side of the fuse.
Now, I must say that Speed Astirs were changed in many ways during
their short production run. Every plane I have inspected was slightly
different than the others. An example are the fittings for the
headrest. Some are fabricated, some are cast, some mount to the shelf
behind the seat, some mount to the top of the fuse. The way control
rods are supported, the actual material the control rods are made of,
the levers...all have had slight variations.

On my plane there was the water dump valve hole and then there was one
other large hole on the bottom of the fuse. A different Speed had
several small holes to drain air and water in addition to the water
dump valve hole.

Guy

May 2nd 08, 04:16 PM
On May 2, 7:59*am, wrote:
> No, I am not referring to the undercarrage pivot access hole. *That is
> on the side of the fuse.
> Now, I must say that Speed Astirs were changed in many ways during
> their short production run. *Every plane I have inspected was slightly
> different than the others. *An example are the fittings for the
> headrest. *Some are fabricated, some are cast, some mount to the shelf
> behind the seat, some mount to the top of the fuse. *The way control
> rods are supported, the actual material the control rods are made of,
> the levers...all have had slight variations.
>
> On my plane there was the water dump valve hole and then there was one
> other large hole on the bottom of the fuse. *A different Speed had
> several small holes to drain air and water in addition to the water
> dump valve hole.
>
> Guy

Got it! Mine is an early (SN 4005) version and has a few small holes,
which I leave un-covered. Thanks for the information.
Jim

Tinwings
May 2nd 08, 05:57 PM
Another source of material for this is number plate background for
motocross racers. The material is thick (.010"), tough, and has really
good adhesive. Available in most dirtbike stores, it comes three 12" x
18" sheets to a package for about $15.

Google