PDA

View Full Version : Help With My training

Gezellig
May 1st 08, 07:08 PM
Last Friday, I went up for an introductory flight lesson out of the San
Carlos airport. WOW!!!!!! I have been dreaming about learning to fly
since I was in my teens. All the time I was in the air the lines of
that famous poem kept going through my head "Oh, I have slipped the
surly bonds of Earth.........". When we landed (I didn't want to ever
come down :-)) the instructor asked me if I thought I would be
interested in flying and I told him that wild horses couldn't stop me
now and proceeded to sign-up for two flight days the following week. I
had my second flight day, this afternoon, practicing a variety of turns
while maintaining (or making attempts to) altitude.

One question I had for the instructors out there - what I seemed to find
more awkward than anything was steering the nose wheel using my feet on
the rudder pedals. The people in the control tower must have thought I
looked like a wounded bird taxing out to hold position before takeoff.
Is there some 'trick' to getting the hang of this, so often I would be
tempted to reach up and turn the control yoke but resisted the
temptation (due to its futility).

Once again, thank you all for your posts on this newsgroup. I finally
just made myself go out and start. I fly again, on Friday and will keep
you posted. Meanwhile I am going to pour over some of the aviation
training books to review some of the things I learned today. Just
starting out, but I am so excited!

Andy Hawkins
May 1st 08, 07:45 PM
Hi,

In article >,
> wrote:
> One question I had for the instructors out there - what I seemed to find
> more awkward than anything was steering the nose wheel using my feet on
> the rudder pedals. The people in the control tower must have thought I
> looked like a wounded bird taxing out to hold position before takeoff.
> Is there some 'trick' to getting the hang of this, so often I would be
> tempted to reach up and turn the control yoke but resisted the
> temptation (due to its futility).

I'm not an instructor, but as a student myself I can say that you will get
the hang of it. Like any new skill, it's just a question of getting to grips
with it. Soon enough it becomes second nature.

Stick with it, and enjoy it!

Andy

Chas[_4_]
May 1st 08, 08:42 PM
"Andy Hawkins" > wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> In article >,
> > wrote:
>> One question I had for the instructors out there - what I seemed to find
>> more awkward than anything was steering the nose wheel using my feet on
>> the rudder pedals. The people in the control tower must have thought I
>> looked like a wounded bird taxing out to hold position before takeoff.
>> Is there some 'trick' to getting the hang of this, so often I would be
>> tempted to reach up and turn the control yoke but resisted the
>> temptation (due to its futility).
>
> I'm not an instructor, but as a student myself I can say that you will get
> the hang of it. Like any new skill, it's just a question of getting to
> grips
> with it. Soon enough it becomes second nature.
>
> Stick with it, and enjoy it!
>
> Andy

Had the same problem. Muscle memory from car driving. My instructor had me
keep my hand off the yoke for a taxi or two and it all fell into place.

Have fun

Chuck

WingFlaps
May 1st 08, 08:49 PM
On May 2, 6:08*am, Gezellig > wrote:

> One question I had for the instructors out there - what I seemed to find
> more awkward than anything was steering the nose wheel using my feet on
> the rudder pedals. *The people in the control tower must have thought I
> looked like a wounded bird taxing out to hold position before takeoff.
> Is there some 'trick' to getting the hang of this, so often I would be
> tempted to reach up and turn the control yoke but resisted the
> temptation (due to its futility).

Some planes are worse (looser) than others. It may help to gently
apply pressure from both feet at the same time all the time -so both
legs are giving feedback as you steer. (You feel the pressure on the
other leg from the one pushing the rudder pedals). Hope this makes
sense. One other thing, ask you instrcutor if he's got his feet on the
pedals. Some are buggers for not letting go of control and are
pressing without realiizing. I had one who would give a huge rudder
kick everytime he shifted his ass on the seat!

Cheers

gatt[_3_]
May 1st 08, 08:52 PM
Gezellig wrote:

> One question I had for the instructors out there - what I seemed to find
> more awkward than anything was steering the nose wheel using my feet on
> the rudder pedals. The people in the control tower must have thought I
> looked like a wounded bird taxing out to hold position before takeoff.
> Is there some 'trick' to getting the hang of this

Your feet will get the hang of it with practice. Once you're moving
it's more about holding the pressure (sort of like the gas pedal in your
car to hold a speed) than moving the pedal.

As with all control inputs in airplanes, generally if you're reacting or
"chasing" the plane you're trying too hard. You'll get the feel of what
keeps the plane pointed in the right direction and hold it with your feet.

Also, make sure you're not stepping on the toe brakes. That not only
wears down the brake pads, it exaggerates your turn and causes you to
have to make more dramatic corrections.

Cheers, and good flying!

-c

Steve Foley
May 1st 08, 08:53 PM
"Gezellig" > wrote in message

> One question I had for the instructors out there - what I seemed to find
> more awkward than anything was steering the nose wheel using my feet on
> the rudder pedals.

If you've ever ridden a flexible-flyer/runner sled, or a home-made go-kart,
you ended up steering with your feet.

The problem is that the plane controls backward from these two vehicles. On
a sled/go-kart, you turn left by pushing with your right foot.

I 'cured' myself by chair-flying. Sit in a chair. Turn your head to the
left, and push your left foot down. Turn Right - push right foot. My wife
thought I was nuts. Actually, she still does.

JGalban via AviationKB.com
May 1st 08, 09:06 PM
Gezellig wrote:
>One question I had for the instructors out there - what I seemed to find
>more awkward than anything was steering the nose wheel using my feet on
>the rudder pedals. The people in the control tower must have thought I
>looked like a wounded bird taxing out to hold position before takeoff.
>Is there some 'trick' to getting the hang of this, so often I would be
>tempted to reach up and turn the control yoke but resisted the
>temptation (due to its futility).

This is something that you'll get used to over time. I had a really bad
habit of reaching for the yoke to steer. If it was a calm day (i.e. didn't
need to position the controls for the wind) my instructor made me put my
hands on the seat under my legs while taxiing. This helped me to concentrate
on using my feet ot steer.

Also, if you're flying a Cessna, they use a flexible bungee to connect the
rudder pedals to the steering. This means that it takes a second or two for
your control input to have a reaction on the nosewheel. Practice
anticipating what your next move will be. Trying to immediately correct a
slight departure from your path will lead to overcorrection if you don't keep
this in mind. You'll end up wallowing from side to side on the taxiway as
you overcorrect from one side to the other.

John Galban=====>N4BQ (PA28-180)

F. Baum
May 1st 08, 11:18 PM
On May 1, 12:08*pm, Gezellig > wrote:

> One question I had for the instructors out there - what I seemed to find
> more awkward than anything was steering the nose wheel using my feet on
> the rudder pedals. *The people in the control tower must have thought I
> looked like a wounded bird taxing out to hold position before takeoff.
> Is there some 'trick' to getting the hang of this, so often I would be
> tempted to reach up and turn the control yoke but resisted the
> temptation (due to its futility).

G, As others have suggested, you arent the only one. I went through
about 12000 hours of only flying airliners and when I got back into
light plane flying (Big mistake to wait that long) one of my biggest
problems was steering with the feet again. There will be more awkward
stuff during your flight training . The hands in the lap thing works
fine. Good Luck,
Frank

Gezellig[_2_]
May 2nd 08, 03:50 AM
F. Baum presented the following explanation :
> On May 1, 12:08*pm, Gezellig > wrote:
>>
>> One question I had for the instructors out there - what I seemed to find
>> more awkward than anything was steering the nose wheel using my feet on
>> the rudder pedals. *The people in the control tower must have thought I
>> looked like a wounded bird taxing out to hold position before takeoff.
>> Is there some 'trick' to getting the hang of this, so often I would be
>> tempted to reach up and turn the control yoke but resisted the
>> temptation (due to its futility).

> G, As others have suggested, you arent the only one. I went through
> about 12000 hours of only flying airliners and when I got back into
> light plane flying (Big mistake to wait that long) one of my biggest
> problems was steering with the feet again. There will be more awkward
> stuff during your flight training . The hands in the lap thing works
> fine. Good Luck,
> Frank

WOW you guys are great, thanks for all the pointers, I learned sumpin
from everyone. I'm chair sitting, sledding and reading all at once!

Morgans[_2_]
May 2nd 08, 04:03 AM
"Gezellig" > wrote

> WOW you guys are great, thanks for all the pointers, I learned sumpin
> from everyone. I'm chair sitting, sledding and reading all at once!

Just remember that it steers backwards, as compared to a runner sled! <g>
--
Jim in NC

Shirl
May 2nd 08, 04:08 AM
Gezellig wrote:
> WOW you guys are great, thanks for all the pointers, I learned sumpin
> from everyone. I'm chair sitting, sledding and reading all at once!

I used to live in San Mateo. When I go back there, the airspace seems
insanely crowded -- "you're 6th in line behind blahblahblah!" Are you
flying with West Valley?

Hilton
May 2nd 08, 08:44 AM
Actually SQL is a busy, yet not busy airport; i.e. you taxi to the runway
and you're flying pretty shortly after that. I did my CMEL at SQL and I
don't recall any long waits. The tower guys are great. I was up in the
tower once when some guy comes flying in and *seriously* did not know his
left from his right. Tower would ask him to turn left and he'd turn right
etc. He didn't know the runways either. The tower guys had to start saying
things like: "Look which side of the panel your airspeed indicator is on and
turn that way." The atmosphere alternated between professional concern to
amusement. This guy was all over the airspace - scarey. PAO is a lot more
crowded. I was once about 6th in line and announced "Cessna 12345 in
sequence runway 31, Angel Flight". The reply was "Cessna 345, if you can,
taxi around the other aircraft, cleared for take-off" Nice. RHV can get
busy, but if you can fit in with the flow on busy days, it's easy enough.
Perhaps the quietest place nowadays is SJC Intl if you don't mind mixing it
with 737s and DC-10s - they don't share the short runway with you
fortunately.

The Bay Area is a great place to fly, Napa is 40 minutes, Monterey is 30,
Tahoe is 1:20, Yosemite is 50 minutes, Harris Ranch is 1:00, etc...

Hilton

"Shirl" > wrote in message
> Gezellig wrote:
>> WOW you guys are great, thanks for all the pointers, I learned sumpin
>> from everyone. I'm chair sitting, sledding and reading all at once!
>
> I used to live in San Mateo. When I go back there, the airspace seems
> insanely crowded -- "you're 6th in line behind blahblahblah!" Are you
> flying with West Valley?

Shirl
May 2nd 08, 10:05 AM
Shirl:

"Hilton" > wrote:
> Actually SQL is a busy, yet not busy airport; i.e. you taxi to the runway
> and you're flying pretty shortly after that. I did my CMEL at SQL and I
> don't recall any long waits. The tower guys are great. I was up in the
> tower once when some guy comes flying in and *seriously* did not know his
> left from his right. Tower would ask him to turn left and he'd turn right
> etc. He didn't know the runways either. The tower guys had to start saying
> things like: "Look which side of the panel your airspeed indicator is on and
> turn that way." The atmosphere alternated between professional concern to
> amusement. This guy was all over the airspace - scarey. PAO is a lot more
> crowded. I was once about 6th in line and announced "Cessna 12345 in
> sequence runway 31, Angel Flight". The reply was "Cessna 345, if you can,
> taxi around the other aircraft, cleared for take-off" Nice. RHV can get
> busy, but if you can fit in with the flow on busy days, it's easy enough.
> Perhaps the quietest place nowadays is SJC Intl if you don't mind mixing it
> with 737s and DC-10s - they don't share the short runway with you
> fortunately.
>
> The Bay Area is a great place to fly, Napa is 40 minutes, Monterey is 30,
> Tahoe is 1:20, Yosemite is 50 minutes, Harris Ranch is 1:00, etc...

That's true, about all those great places only being minutes away. I
also love to go from either SQL or PAO over the hill to Half Moon Bay
and fly along the coast when the clouds aren't sitting right on the
hill. Hollister was cool, too.

My daughter was a CFI at PAO, and you're right, that place is even
busier than SQL. That's where I was also 6th in line, but as you said,
the controllers are very good, and amazingly, even with multiple schools
and only one runway, there were no long waits as there are here at DVT
(Arizona) where you can sit for 20 minutes or more waiting to be cleared
for takeoff. Hayward and Livermore seem pretty nice, less busy ... I'm
just not used to, and not crazy about flying over the bay!
;-)

Shirl

tj
May 2nd 08, 01:12 PM
Hello,

I just began flight training and had a similar problem with steering on the
ground.

My guy says left hand on your knee and right on the throttle.
It is too easy to wind up going too fast, especially when you are new. (for
me anyway) give it a little gas to move the plane then have your hand on the
throttle to adjust speed.

"Gezellig" > wrote in message
> Last Friday, I went up for an introductory flight lesson out of the San
> Carlos airport. WOW!!!!!! I have been dreaming about learning to fly
> since I was in my teens. All the time I was in the air the lines of
> that famous poem kept going through my head "Oh, I have slipped the
> surly bonds of Earth.........". When we landed (I didn't want to ever
> come down :-)) the instructor asked me if I thought I would be
> interested in flying and I told him that wild horses couldn't stop me
> now and proceeded to sign-up for two flight days the following week. I
> had my second flight day, this afternoon, practicing a variety of turns
> while maintaining (or making attempts to) altitude.
>
> One question I had for the instructors out there - what I seemed to find
> more awkward than anything was steering the nose wheel using my feet on
> the rudder pedals. The people in the control tower must have thought I
> looked like a wounded bird taxing out to hold position before takeoff.
> Is there some 'trick' to getting the hang of this, so often I would be
> tempted to reach up and turn the control yoke but resisted the
> temptation (due to its futility).
>
> Once again, thank you all for your posts on this newsgroup. I finally
> just made myself go out and start. I fly again, on Friday and will keep
> you posted. Meanwhile I am going to pour over some of the aviation
> training books to review some of the things I learned today. Just
> starting out, but I am so excited!

Mark Hansen
May 2nd 08, 03:21 PM
On 05/02/08 05:12, tj wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I just began flight training and had a similar problem with steering on the
> ground.
>
> My guy says left hand on your knee and right on the throttle.
> It is too easy to wind up going too fast, especially when you are new. (for
> me anyway) give it a little gas to move the plane then have your hand on the
> throttle to adjust speed.

Just remember that while these are good tactics for getting used to controlling
direction with the rudder pedals, you don't want to make this a permanent
habit. You'll generally need one hand on the yoke/stick to apply proper control
deflections for any cross winds that may be blowing across your taxi route.

This will come a little later in your training.

Best Regards,

--
Mark Hansen, PP-ASEL, Instrument Airplane, USUA Ultralight Pilot
Cal Aggie Flying Farmers

Steve Foley
May 2nd 08, 03:39 PM
"Nomen Nescio" > wrote in message

> That's a GREAT idea.
> Simple, effective, easy to practice.
> I wish I'd thought of it 35 years ago. :)
>
> Did you come up with that, yourself?

Yup. I invented it. I collect a royalty every time someone chair-flies. Some
people get around the fee by bench-flying.

gatt[_3_]
May 2nd 08, 06:26 PM
Nomen Nescio wrote:

> Wait until you've done an intense hour of touch & go's, get in you car to drive
> home, accelerate through about 40-45 mph, and realize that you're starting
> to apply back pressure to the steering wheel. :)

....and taxiing straight down the centerline.

-c

Maxwell[_2_]
May 2nd 08, 06:42 PM
"gatt" > wrote in message
> Nomen Nescio wrote:
>

>> Wait until you've done an intense hour of touch & go's, get in you car to
>> drive
>> home, accelerate through about 40-45 mph, and realize that you're
>> starting
>> to apply back pressure to the steering wheel. :)
>

> ...and taxiing straight down the centerline.
>

> -c

I remember sensations when I first started also. Steering with you feet, not
turning the yoke as you turn, wanting to hold a little back pressure driving
home, etc.

But the oddest sensation for me has been riding the Segways. The first few
rides on one of them, and I was glad I wasn't FLYING home. The car was bad
enough.

Bertie the Bunyip[_25_]
May 2nd 08, 07:20 PM
"Maxwell" <luv2^fly99@cox.^net> wrote in
:

> "gatt" > wrote in message
>> Nomen Nescio wrote:
>>

>>> Wait until you've done an intense hour of touch & go's, get in you
>>> car to drive
>>> home, accelerate through about 40-45 mph, and realize that you're
>>> starting
>>> to apply back pressure to the steering wheel. :)
>>

>> ...and taxiing straight down the centerline.
>>

>> -c
>>

> I remember sensations when I first started also. Steering with you
> feet, not turning the yoke as you turn, wanting to hold a little back
> pressure driving home, etc.
>
> But the oddest sensation for me has been riding the Segways. The first
> few rides on one of them, and I was glad I wasn't FLYING home.

I'm sure the people along your track would be as well.

Bertie

Dave[_19_]
May 3rd 08, 12:42 AM
AND driving down the center line! :)

Dave

On Fri, 2 May 2008 06:00:30 +0200 (CEST), Nomen Nescio
> wrote:

>Wait until you've done an intense hour of touch & go's, get in you car to drive
>home, accelerate through about 40-45 mph, and realize that you're starting
>to apply back pressure to the steering wheel. :)
>

>-

James
May 3rd 08, 09:49 PM
Gezellig wrote:
> Last Friday, I went up for an introductory flight lesson out of the San
> Carlos airport. WOW!!!!!! I have been dreaming about learning to fly
> since I was in my teens. All the time I was in the air the lines of
> that famous poem kept going through my head "Oh, I have slipped the
> surly bonds of Earth.........". When we landed (I didn't want to ever
> come down :-)) the instructor asked me if I thought I would be
> interested in flying and I told him that wild horses couldn't stop me
> now and proceeded to sign-up for two flight days the following week. I
> had my second flight day, this afternoon, practicing a variety of turns
> while maintaining (or making attempts to) altitude.
>
> One question I had for the instructors out there - what I seemed to find
> more awkward than anything was steering the nose wheel using my feet on
> the rudder pedals. The people in the control tower must have thought I
> looked like a wounded bird taxing out to hold position before takeoff.
> Is there some 'trick' to getting the hang of this, so often I would be
> tempted to reach up and turn the control yoke but resisted the
> temptation (due to its futility).
>
> Once again, thank you all for your posts on this newsgroup. I finally
> just made myself go out and start. I fly again, on Friday and will keep
> you posted. Meanwhile I am going to pour over some of the aviation
> training books to review some of the things I learned today. Just
> starting out, but I am so excited!
My instructor made me put my left hand on my knee for the first lessons
to get the hang of it. You will have to be carefull when you get into
doing landings in gusty conditions, you might find yourself going back
steering with your hands when under a bit of stress.

James.

May 4th 08, 04:02 PM
On May 1, 11:08*am, Gezellig > wrote:
> Last Friday, I went up for an introductory flight lesson out of the San
> Carlos airport.

*** Hey, congratulations on getting started! SQL is my home field
too.
If you're interested, peruse my avation page at http://www.tr2.com/jerry/aviation/index.html.
Go
about half way down and click on "My Flying Lesson Journals" and you
can read about
how I learned to fly right here. Well, mostly at PAO and SJC, but
same area.

- Jerry Kaidor

May 5th 08, 05:54 PM
On May 3, 2:49 pm, James > wrote:

> My instructor made me put my left hand on my knee for the first lessons
> to get the hang of it. You will have to be carefull when you get into
> doing landings in gusty conditions, you might find yourself going back
> steering with your hands when under a bit of stress.
>
> James.

Seven Learning Factors taught to new instructors. The first
one is Primacy, which says that first iimpressions are the strongest.
The fist few taxis with the hand on the leg will establish a lifelong
habit.
We teach controls for wind right off. Student needs to get it
right the first time.

Wingflap's suggestion of putting pressure on both rudder
pedals is another bad idea. Nervous students already stand on them,
and they'll only put more pressure on them if told to do so. I see
worn-out rudder control system parts from just that, since in most
lightplanes that tension is transmitted down both cables to the rudder
horn itself. Rudder hinges, clevis bolts and their holes, pulleys and
cables, rudder bars and pedals, all wear much faster than usual if
they're under constant tension. And the pushback on the seat wears all
that stuff out, too. Takes time, but it does wear.
And a tense pilot is a jerky, clumsy pilot. I often found my
students bumping all over the place and noticed that they had the
white-knuckle grip. Making them hold the yoke between a couple of
fingers allowed the airplane to magically settle down and fly real
smooth. Amazing.

Dan

WingFlaps
May 5th 08, 08:58 PM
On May 6, 4:54*am, wrote:

> * * * * Wingflap's suggestion of putting pressure on both rudder
> pedals is another bad idea. Nervous students already stand on them,

Not all nervous students stand on the pedals. Where do you get these
ideas?
Even today I still keep slight pressure on both pedals. Do you?

Cheers

Lou
May 6th 08, 01:21 AM
What the heck I'll through in my 2.5 cents worth. One thing my
instructor taught me that pretty much cured the
problem right aways was to basically have dancing feet. Keep those
feet in constant but very small movements.
Left, right, left, right not really pushing the rudders except when
necessary, but small amounts to the direction
you need to go. This way constant correction is easy and immediate.
Just keep those feet moving lightly.
Lou

Gezellig[_2_]
May 6th 08, 08:54 AM
on 5/4/2008, supposed :
> On May 1, 11:08*am, Gezellig > wrote:
>> Last Friday, I went up for an introductory flight lesson out of the San
>> Carlos airport.

> *** Hey, congratulations on getting started! SQL is my home field
> too.
> If you're interested, peruse my avation page at
> http://www.tr2.com/jerry/aviation/index.html. Go
> about half way down and click on "My Flying Lesson Journals" and you
> can read about
> how I learned to fly right here. Well, mostly at PAO and SJC, but
> same area.

> - Jerry Kaidor

Jerry, thanks for that,welldone!

Gezellig[_2_]
May 6th 08, 08:55 AM
Lou formulated the question :
> What the heck I'll through in my 2.5 cents worth. One thing my
> instructor taught me that pretty much cured the
> problem right aways was to basically have dancing feet. Keep those
> feet in constant but very small movements.
> Left, right, left, right not really pushing the rudders except when
> necessary, but small amounts to the direction
> you need to go. This way constant correction is easy and immediate.
> Just keep those feet moving lightly.
> Lou

lol Agree with that, which I tried and it sure helped.

Gezellig[_2_]
May 6th 08, 08:57 AM
Mark Hansen wrote on 5/2/2008 :
>> Hello,
>>
>> I just began flight training and had a similar problem with steering on the
>> ground.
>>
>> My guy says left hand on your knee and right on the throttle.
>> It is too easy to wind up going too fast, especially when you are new. (for
>> me anyway) give it a little gas to move the plane then have your hand on
>> the
>> throttle to adjust speed.

> Just remember that while these are good tactics for getting used to
> controlling
> direction with the rudder pedals, you don't want to make this a permanent
> habit. You'll generally need one hand on the yoke/stick to apply proper
> control
> deflections for any cross winds that may be blowing across your taxi route.

> This will come a little later in your training.

> Best Regards,

I tried the hand placements and they felt good for the first time or
two. After that, It felt wrong because of what you said. Good advice
from everyone.

Gezellig[_2_]
May 6th 08, 09:00 AM
explained on 5/5/2008 :
> Seven Learning Factors taught to new instructors. The first
> one is Primacy, which says that first iimpressions are the strongest.
> The first few taxis with the hand on the leg will establish a lifelong
> habit.
> We teach controls for wind right off. Student needs to get it
> right the first time.

Da, this is what I found out after a few more taxis/TO.

> Wingflap's suggestion of putting pressure on both rudder
> pedals is another bad idea. Nervous students already stand on them,
> and they'll only put more pressure on them if told to do so. I see
> worn-out rudder control system parts from just that, since in most
> lightplanes that tension is transmitted down both cables to the rudder
> horn itself. Rudder hinges, clevis bolts and their holes, pulleys and
> cables, rudder bars and pedals, all wear much faster than usual if
> they're under constant tension. And the pushback on the seat wears all
> that stuff out, too. Takes time, but it does wear.

I think WingFlaps meant well but my CFI gave me the once over when I
suggested Wingflaps ideas.

> And a tense pilot is a jerky, clumsy pilot. I often found my
> students bumping all over the place and noticed that they had the
> white-knuckle grip. Making them hold the yoke between a couple of
> fingers allowed the airplane to magically settle down and fly real
> smooth. Amazing.

> Dan

Is WingFlaps a troll? :-[

Gezellig[_2_]
May 6th 08, 09:01 AM
Morgans was thinking very hard :
> "Gezellig" > wrote
>>
>> WOW you guys are great, thanks for all the pointers, I learned sumpin from
>> everyone. I'm chair sitting, sledding and reading all at once!

> Just remember that it steers backwards, as compared to a runner sled! <g>

lol got it!

Gezellig[_2_]
May 6th 08, 09:03 AM
Noman, I don't mean to be ungrateful but you must be foreign with all
that PGP stuff. I am an American flyer. Not sure how to take your
adice.

Nomen Nescio was thinking very hard :
> Wait until you've done an intense hour of touch & go's, get in you car to
> drive
> home, accelerate through about 40-45 mph, and realize that you're starting
> to apply back pressure to the steering wheel. :)

WingFlaps
May 6th 08, 12:55 PM
On May 6, 8:00*pm, Gezellig > wrote:
> explained on 5/5/2008 :
>
> > * * * * * Seven Learning Factors taught to new instructors. The first
> > one is Primacy, which says that first iimpressions are the strongest.
> > The first few taxis with the hand on the leg will establish a lifelong
> > habit.
> > * * * *We teach controls for wind right off. Student needs to get it
> > right the first time.
>
> Da, this is what I found out after a few more taxis/TO.
>
> > * * * * Wingflap's suggestion of putting pressure on both rudder
> > pedals is another bad idea. Nervous students already stand on them,
> > and they'll only put more pressure on them if told to do so. I see
> > worn-out rudder control system parts from just that, since in most
> > lightplanes that tension is transmitted down both cables to the rudder
> > horn itself. Rudder hinges, clevis bolts and their holes, pulleys and
> > cables, rudder bars and pedals, all wear much faster than usual if
> > they're under constant tension. And the pushback on the seat wears all
> > that stuff out, too. Takes time, but it does wear.
>
> I think WingFlaps meant well but my CFI gave me the once over when I
> suggested Wingflaps ideas.

Your CFI obviously went to the Dan school of flying. That's a pity
because correct rudder bar technique involves putting ->light<-
pressure on the rudder bar as I described. As stated in the FAA flight
guide
(http://www.faa.gov/library/manuals/aircraft/airplane_handbook/media/
faa-h-8083-3a-2of7.pdf):

"When using the rudder pedals, pressure should be
applied smoothly and evenly by pressing with the ball
of one foot. Since the rudder pedals are interconnected,
and act in opposite directions, when pressure is applied
to one pedal, pressure on the other must be relaxed proportionately.
When the rudder pedal must be moved
significantly, heavy pressure changes should be made
by applying the pressure with the ball of the foot while
the heels slide along the cockpit floor. Remember, the
ball of each foot must rest comfortably on the rudder
pedals so that even slight pressure changes can be felt."

I have found that without maintaining light pressure to keep your feet
in contact with the bar you can't hold a straight course -especially
while instrument flying. Just one more point, if you are worried about
aircraft wear, constantly tapping pedals is much worse than
maintaining smooth light pressure...

Hope this helps, and no it's not a troll..

Cheers

Lou
May 6th 08, 03:01 PM

> Hope this helps, and no it's not a troll..
>
> Cheers

Na, as far as I'm concerned, Wingflaps is not a troll. But you have to
hand
it to him, he keeps his eyes open for them. I'm sure the trolls will
be next.
Lou

Steve Hix
May 6th 08, 10:34 PM
In article >, Gezellig >
wrote:
> Nomen Nescio was thinking very hard :
> > Wait until you've done an intense hour of touch & go's, get in you car to
> > drive
> > home, accelerate through about 40-45 mph, and realize that you're starting
> > to apply back pressure to the steering wheel. :)

> Noman, I don't mean to be ungrateful but you must be foreign with all
> that PGP stuff. I am an American flyer. Not sure how to take your
> adice.

The PGP section isn't a graphic or anything similar, it's just a way for
someone who cared enough to verify that the signature is from who it
says it is. (Pretty Good Privacy).

PGP also offers things like pretty good encryption (good enough that
governments tend to freak out about it off and on) for your data and
documents and communications and so on.

Now, if he was going on about "bumps and circuits" instead of "touch and
go's", we might start to wonder...

Steve Hix
May 6th 08, 10:38 PM
> Nomen Nescio was thinking very hard :
> > Wait until you've done an intense hour of touch & go's, get in you car to
> > drive
> > home, accelerate through about 40-45 mph, and realize that you're starting
> > to apply back pressure to the steering wheel. :)

Something similar happened to several American POWs after their release
from North VN.

A Colorado car dealer gave those from that state a Corvette, each.

Within less than a year, they'd all managed to damage them, to a greater
or lesser degree.

In one case, one of them was driving through an intersection, when
trying to avoid hitting someone who had blown through a red light,
pulled back hard on the steering wheel to avoid a crash.

Well, the last vehicles they'd operated were jet fighters, and none of
them had driven much at all for several years.

Google