PDA

View Full Version : Winter service

Andy[_1_]
May 7th 08, 04:46 AM
I was quite disappointed that my Winter 4FGH40 altimeter required
repair after being in service for only 5 years. I was, however very
pleased with the service provided by Winter. They had my altimeter
less than one week and returned it repaired, with the new style
pointers, and with a new EASA form 1 for 103 Euro including
shipping.

I know one local pilot that threw away a faulty altimeter and bought a
new one for over $800. Please consider using Winter for repair of
their instruments. In my experience they provide good service.

Andy

sisu1a
May 7th 08, 04:58 AM
On May 6, 8:46 pm, Andy > wrote:
> I was quite disappointed that my Winter 4FGH40 altimeter required
> repair after being in service for only 5 years. I was, however very
> pleased with the service provided by Winter. They had my altimeter
> less than one week and returned it repaired, with the new style
> pointers, and with a new EASA form 1 for 103 Euro including
> shipping.
>
> I know one local pilot that threw away a faulty altimeter and bought a
> new one for over $800. Please consider using Winter for repair of
> their instruments. In my experience they provide good service.
>
> Andy

I'll second that. I bought a beautiful 57mm airspeed on ebay, but
wanted the '0' at 12 o-clock instead of 6. I emailed Winter, and
without hesitation they sent me the new face, and even engraved the
correct serial # in it! Oh yeah, they asked for nothing until AFTER
sending my part. I love service like that, and I say this. If you
don't have Winter refurb your instruments and buy new ones instead,
give your old 'beaters' to me! (I'll even pay for the shipping ;-)

Paul Hanson

Todd
May 7th 08, 11:09 PM
Me too. My 22 year old Winter ASI failed last summer, while on a
soaring vacation so I purchased a generic (no markings) Winter ASI.
Big bucks but I was back flying 2 days later. And now I own a spare
part for next time.

Over the winter, I sent mine back top Winter. Got it back in a
reasonable time (I told them no rush to return) for a fair repair cost
(way less than half the cost of my generic spare). If it had not had
my address label on the case, I would swear that they just sent me a
new unit. Big PLUS...The repaired ASI now matches the speed of our
tow plane leading me to think it had been failing for a while.

Tips for others:

1. I sent my ASI to Germany via US Postal Service (Yea, the snail
mail people who loose everything). Got there safe and sound for one
third the cost of (Fedex, USP, DHL...). They return shipped by the
German Postal Service. Looks like just over a week for return
shipping.

2. Very trusting folks over there. Sent ASI back with an invoice in
EUROS! Winter does not take MasterCard/Visa. After lots of head
scratching and obscene rates to get bank draft in Euros, I stumbled
upon PayPal as a method. PayPal took my Visa, converted it to Euros
and sent them for no fees other than the currency exchange rate.
Fast, Easy, Safe.

Herb
May 8th 08, 06:51 PM
On May 7, 5:09 pm, Todd > wrote:
> Me too. My 22 year old Winter ASI failed last summer, while on a
> soaring vacation so I purchased a generic (no markings) Winter ASI.
> Big bucks but I was back flying 2 days later. And now I own a spare
> part for next time.
>
> Over the winter, I sent mine back top Winter. Got it back in a
> reasonable time (I told them no rush to return) for a fair repair cost
> (way less than half the cost of my generic spare). If it had not had
> my address label on the case, I would swear that they just sent me a
> new unit. Big PLUS...The repaired ASI now matches the speed of our
> tow plane leading me to think it had been failing for a while.
>
> Tips for others:
>
> 1. I sent my ASI to Germany via US Postal Service (Yea, the snail
> mail people who loose everything). Got there safe and sound for one
> third the cost of (Fedex, USP, DHL...). They return shipped by the
> German Postal Service. Looks like just over a week for return
> shipping.
>
> 2. Very trusting folks over there. Sent ASI back with an invoice in
> EUROS! Winter does not take MasterCard/Visa. After lots of head
> scratching and obscene rates to get bank draft in Euros, I stumbled
> upon PayPal as a method. PayPal took my Visa, converted it to Euros
> and sent them for no fees other than the currency exchange rate.
> Fast, Easy, Safe.

"2. Very trusting folks over there. Sent ASI back with an invoice in
EUROS! "
Thanks you Todd! We Germans are a trusting lot and this doesn't
surprise me. After 21 years in the US it's good to see that good
ethical business practices are still applied over there. Let's make
sure they won't be having to change their habits.

Google