PDA

View Full Version : Trans-Atlantic trip with missing panel

D Ramapriya
May 9th 08, 05:05 AM
http://edition.cnn.com/2008/TRAVEL/05/08/airplane.panel/index.html

Whatever
May 9th 08, 05:14 AM
D Ramapriya wrote:
> http://edition.cnn.com/2008/TRAVEL/05/08/airplane.panel/index.html

The Federal Aviation Administration said it is investigating
the incident.

LOL!! Just like Southwest??

virtuPIC
May 9th 08, 09:29 AM
Uh! So the panel is carried without reason on regular flights? Imagine
how a plane could look like! ;-)

No air left the pressurized cabin through the whole? Even more
interesting that fuel was still suffiecient although this whole should
have caused additional drag. I imagine an airpline plane landing in
Greenland because of fuel starvation due to lost panels.

virtuPIC
--
Airspace V - international hangar flying!
http://www.airspace-v.com/ggadgets for tools & toys

Vaughn Simon
May 9th 08, 11:07 AM
"virtuPIC" > wrote in message
> Uh! So the panel is carried without reason on regular flights? Imagine
> how a plane could look like! ;-)
>
> No air left the pressurized cabin through the whole? Even more
> interesting that fuel was still suffiecient although this whole should
> have caused additional drag. I imagine an airpline plane landing in
> Greenland because of fuel starvation due to lost panels.

Since the whole didn't go the hole way through the walz of the airpline,
there was no big sucking sound.

Vaughn

F. Baum
May 9th 08, 02:43 PM
On May 8, 10:05*pm, D Ramapriya > wrote:
> http://edition.cnn.com/2008/TRAVEL/05/08/airplane.panel/index.html

That is one hoakey news story. And the Blog with the picture is even
worse. This was a PAC access panel that blew off. My guess is that it
is on the CDL (Not that I would want to do an Ocean crossing with it
missing). I like the FA's reference to a "Shaking" noise.
What is interesting is how certain doors or panels, when left open
will make noise at certain times and not at others. It does make sense
that they noticed this out of 10,000 when they would be
accelerating.
F Baum

Roy Smith
May 9th 08, 03:46 PM
Guys,

This is fundamentally a maintenance issue. Shouldn't we be discussing this
on rec.aviation.owning?

F. Baum
May 9th 08, 04:23 PM
On May 9, 8:46*am, Roy Smith > wrote:
> This is fundamentally a maintenance issue. *Shouldn't we be discussing this
> on rec.aviation.owning?

Since when has beeing On Topic had anything to do with RAP <Grin>. A
large part of this story has to do with the crew's decision. That
makes it relevant. These planes are operated with panels missing all
the time. Have to wait and see if this turns out to be a maintenence
issue.
FB

Bertie the Bunyip[_24_]
May 9th 08, 06:30 PM
D Ramapriya > wrote in news:30b00dc3-b3c5-452a-9ff2-
:

> http://edition.cnn.com/2008/TRAVEL/05/08/airplane.panel/index.html

Crap

Bertie