PDA

View Full Version : LX 1600 and gps

Mark Jardini
May 10th 08, 04:59 PM
Has anyone been successful hooking a GPS engine up with an LX 1600
through the port where a Colibri would go? That would be with the GPS
engine spliced to an RJ6 flat cable. That port should supply 12v to
the GPS antenna.
I am so far utterly defeated, trying to use a Garmin 18 PC.
Any tips or tricks encountered on your road to success would be much
appreciated.

Lost in th electronic woods.

Mark
Apis MC

Paul Remde
May 10th 08, 10:09 PM
Hi Mark,

I see that the Garmin 18 PC has 12V power input by using a cigarette lighter
power converter. My guess is that the unit is actually powered by a lower
voltage. Are you using the cigarette lighter voltage reducer?

I don't know whether the Colibri connector will work. Since it connects to
the Colibri's only RS-232 port, I can't think of any reason why it wouldn't
work.

I recommend using the standard GPS input connector rather than the Colibri
connector.

Paul Remde
Cumulus Soaring, Inc.
http://www.cumulus-soaring.com

"Mark Jardini" > wrote in message
> Has anyone been successful hooking a GPS engine up with an LX 1600
> through the port where a Colibri would go? That would be with the GPS
> engine spliced to an RJ6 flat cable. That port should supply 12v to
> the GPS antenna.
> I am so far utterly defeated, trying to use a Garmin 18 PC.
> Any tips or tricks encountered on your road to success would be much
> appreciated.
>
> Lost in th electronic woods.
>
> Mark
> Apis MC