PDA

View Full Version : New - Nimbus Cradles for iPAQ 210/211/214

Paul Remde
May 11th 08, 04:06 AM
Hi,

A few weeks ago a customer of mine asked me to purchase and setup soaring
software on a new iPAQ 210. I have avoided this PDA in the past because it
doesn't have a built-in RS-232 serial port. But this customer used a CF GPS
so the serial port was not necessary. I was very, very impressed with the
210.

I was very pleased to see that this PDA does not have a glass-like shiny
screen. I does not need a glare reducer - which is nice since glare
reducers reduce the brightness.

The 210 uses the same screen size and resolution as found on the iPAQ hx4700
so the screen is very nice. It seems a little brighter than my iPAQ hx4705,
but that may be due to the fact that my hx4705 is several years old and
lights tend to decrease in brightness over time. Like all other color PDAs,
it is not great in sunlight, but I think it is a good or better than any
other color PDA I've tested.

In fact, I liked it so much, I bought one.

A few months ago Kolie Lombard told me that he successfully used a CF Card
serial port plugged into the top of his 210 to connect to a Cambridge 302.
At the time I thought that sounded a bit ugly and un-rugged, but I've since
changed my mind.

I now sell the Socket Ruggedized Serial I/O CF Card and a version of the
Nimbus cradle that works with the iPAQ 210 and the Socket Ruggedized Serial
I/O CF Card. Since the CF card's cable sticks out the top of the PDA it is
not quite as elegant as other PDA systems, but it works very well and makes
for a pretty clean installation. You can see many photos of the setup here:
http://www.cumulus-soaring.com/nimbus.htm

When connected to a Cambridge 302 or Goddard PS-5a power converter, or
LX7007, or LX1600, etc., the DB-9m connector on the end of the Nimbus
Cradle's cable has connections for RS-232 serial data as well as 5V power.
The 5V power is provided to the PDA through a mini USB connector that is
built into the bottom of the cradle. The cable has a DB-9f connector the
connects to the DB-9m connector at the end of the short cable on the Socket
Ruggedized Serial I/O CF Card. The DB-9f connector is Velcro'd to the back
of the Nimbus cradle to keep it secure.

Note: The iPAQ 211 and 214 are identical to the 210.

New iPAQ 210 units sell for $430. The Socket Ruggedized Serial I/O CF Card
sells for $159. The Nimbus cradle with connections for the Socket
Ruggedized Serial I/O CF Card sells for $149. It is not the least expensive
solution, but it is a very power and nice one.

Many soaring pilots looking for a good PDA would much rather buy a new PDA
than a used one because they then know it will arrive in perfect condition.
The iPAQ 210 is a very, very nice NEW PDA. I think it is going to be very
popular with glider pilots.

Good Soaring,

Paul Remde
Cumulus Soaring, Inc.