PDA

View Full Version : Worlds smallest helecopter

May 16th 08, 12:42 PM
http://www.cnn.com/2008/TECH/05/15/smallest.helicopter.ap/index.html
Karl

Gig 601Xl Builder
May 16th 08, 02:15 PM
wrote:
> http://www.cnn.com/2008/TECH/05/15/smallest.helicopter.ap/index.html
> Karl

Anyone have a clue as to how it controls yaw?

cavelamb himself[_4_]
May 16th 08, 02:39 PM
Gig 601Xl Builder wrote:
> wrote:
>
>> http://www.cnn.com/2008/TECH/05/15/smallest.helicopter.ap/index.html
>> Karl
>

> Anyone have a clue as to how it controls yaw?

http://www.acecraftusa.com/specs.html

But how can it be called a helicopter if it has a fixed pitch rotor?

These things outta be called something else...

Richard
--
(remove the X to email)

Now just why the HELL do I have to press 1 for English?
John Wayne

Stuart & Kathryn Fields
May 16th 08, 02:40 PM
"Gig 601Xl Builder" > wrote in message
m...
> wrote:
>> http://www.cnn.com/2008/TECH/05/15/smallest.helicopter.ap/index.html
>> Karl
>

> Anyone have a clue as to how it controls yaw?
As a guess, differential torque. The blades are fixed pitch so differential
collective ala Kaman is not possible. Note that the guy says while it is
possible to fly as high as 165 yds, his demo would be at 16.5 yds altitude.
If the engines fail, though it would require all 4 failing, the helo quickly
converts to a lawn dart. If it was me I would demo at 1.65yds altitude and
no faster than I could run. I saw a demo of this ship at Sun'n Fun a number
of years ago. The pilot got a bit carried away with some low altitude
swooping and tipped the ship over to far and it hit the ground shedding
rotor parts:; some of which were later found several hundred feet down the
flight line in front of an RV. No injuries though.
Stu

Gig 601Xl Builder
May 16th 08, 02:47 PM
cavelamb himself wrote:
> Gig 601Xl Builder wrote:
>> wrote:
>>
>>> http://www.cnn.com/2008/TECH/05/15/smallest.helicopter.ap/index.html
>>> Karl
>>

>> Anyone have a clue as to how it controls yaw?
>

> http://www.acecraftusa.com/specs.html
>

> But how can it be called a helicopter if it has a fixed pitch rotor?
>
> These things outta be called something else...
>

> Richard

Counter rotating rotors that explains it. Not that I think that it is
any less of a death trap but at least I know how it works now.

Lou
May 16th 08, 07:42 PM
I want one for the golf course.
Lou

Maxwell[_2_]
May 16th 08, 09:15 PM
"Lou" > wrote in message
>I want one for the golf course.
> Lou

Careful Lou, that thing would leave a giant sized divot.

Lou
May 16th 08, 10:16 PM
> >I want one for the golf course.
> > Lou
>
> Careful Lou, that thing would leave a giant sized divot.

Youv'e never seen me play. It's either that machine or me.
Lou

Ron Wanttaja
May 17th 08, 04:32 AM
On Fri, 16 May 2008 11:42:41 -0700 (PDT), Lou > wrote:

> I want one for the golf course.

For use as a golf cart, or as a mower? :-)

Ron Wanttaja

Lou
May 17th 08, 12:06 PM
On May 16, 10:32 pm, Ron Wanttaja > wrote:
> On Fri, 16 May 2008 11:42:41 -0700 (PDT), Lou > wrote:
> > I want one for the golf course.
>
> For use as a golf cart, or as a mower? :-)
>
> Ron Wanttaja

I think it would make a nice cart alternative.
Just think how easy it would be to hop over the
trees, ponds, roads, cemeteries..
Lou

Peter Dohm
May 17th 08, 02:39 PM
"cavelamb himself" > wrote in message
m...
> Gig 601Xl Builder wrote:
>> wrote:
>>
>>> http://www.cnn.com/2008/TECH/05/15/smallest.helicopter.ap/index.html
>>> Karl
>>

>> Anyone have a clue as to how it controls yaw?
>

> http://www.acecraftusa.com/specs.html
>

> But how can it be called a helicopter if it has a fixed pitch rotor?
>
> These things outta be called something else...
>

> Richard
> --
> (remove the X to email)
>
> Now just why the HELL do I have to press 1 for English?
> John Wayne
I'm also having a little trouble calling it a helicopter; but thanks for the
link, which provided the following answer to the frequently asked question
about yaw:

Yaw is controlled through a differential gear within the transmission.
An electric motor adjusts the positioning of a differential gear, which
changes the speed of the counter rotating blades in relation to each other
causing torque on the helicopter which results in yaw in either direction as
directed by the pilot.

Peter

May 17th 08, 02:46 PM
On May 16, 9:40 am, "Stuart & Kathryn Fields" > wrote:

> > Anyone have a clue as to how it controls yaw?
>
> As a guess, differential torque. The blades are fixed pitch so differential
> collective ala Kaman is not possible.

Hasn't that been done in the past? I once asked about a tandem-rotor
fixed-pitch helicopter. At the time, it seemed reasonable that such
a device could be controlled by differential torque; forward movement
would be produced by tilting the entire craft (my thought at the time
was a sliding weight).

> Note that the guy says while it is
> possible to fly as high as 165 yds, his demo would be at 16.5 yds altitude.

Hmmm... All I really need is a way to get to the grocery store.
Over the power lines and through the alley to the street is all I'd
need.

> If the engines fail, though it would require all 4 failing, the helo quickly
> converts to a lawn dart. If it was me I would demo at 1.65yds altitude and
> no faster than I could run.

Any idea why there are four engines?

> I saw a demo of this ship at Sun'n Fun a number
> of years ago. The pilot got a bit carried away with some low altitude
> swooping and tipped the ship over to far and it hit the ground shedding
> rotor parts:; some of which were later found several hundred feet down the
> flight line in front of an RV. No injuries though.

is this the famous "Head-o-copter"?
http://www.flurl.com/item/Head_o_Copter_u_307813

Mike

Google