PDA

View Full Version : Cherokee out and about

May 19th 08, 03:28 AM
With excellent soaring conditions forecast for today, I decided to
take the Cherokee on a trip. Sure wouldve been nice to put more miles
on, but I fell out of booming skies after about an hour and a half
flight. Made it about 50 nautical miles to a really nice field. Here
is the report copied from another forum:

The flight was really good. I got off tow in some pretty good lift,
and got up around 6000 feet before departing to the south of Ames. I
was definitely hopeful for a good day after about a 400 fpm climb at
the airport. I did declare a goal to somewhere in MO that wouldve
given me the state record. I was never really confident that I would
be able to make it there but figured what the heck might as well have
a goal.

After departing the airport I cruised for about 15 miles before
picking up another thermal. along the way lost around 2000 feet.
caught another nice strong thermal, which seemed well organized and
was generally easy to stay in. I veered to the east a little to make
sure I avoided Des Moines Class C airspace and saw a few airplanes out
flying around. Heard a train as well. As I passed directly east of Des
Moines I caught the best thermal of the day (for me). It was so
incredibly good that I was even able to stay in it while turning to
the right! The vario was wobbling between 600 and 1000 fpm up for most
of the time in the circle and I felt like I was on an elevator. That
is where I saw the corn leaves, mistakenly reported as cornstalks.

I continued to the south, over Red Rock Lake and in the general
direction of Knoxville. caught a few more good thermals with strong
climb rates, but also suffered from the associated sink. I eventually
found myself down around 1500 AGL headed towards a large area of black
fields followed by some not so friendly creek bed and trees. I decided
that if I was going to get some lift it was going to come off the
fields and otherwise I was going to have to land. I worked all over
the fields but couldnt find anything that would give me a lift so down
I came and landed in a nice uphill area that had been recently tilled
but not planted yet.

I made a quick call to Matt and my crew and took a few pictures. no
one was home at the house I landed by so I walked down the road to get
another landing witness for my Silver Distance application. The old
fellow was really friendly and came down to check out the glider and
helped derig in the field. That was really appreciated as the wind
made it somewhat challenging.

All in all it was a great day. Probably didnt take full advantage of
all the soaring that couldve happened but any day that I get to land
out and make it back for supper is a good day.

Here are some pictures from the day. The only in flight photo was
crossing red rock lake. thats a lot of water to be over without an
engine!

http://picasaweb.google.com/cherokee373Y/Soaring51808

Jim Meade
May 19th 08, 04:11 AM
The FSDO called Friday and I hope to have my amended operating
limitations perhaps this coming week. I'll have 10 hours to fly off
in the Iowa City - Muscatine area.

After that, I hope to come up to Ames and tag along some day and let
you teach me to go cross country.

Good job on your flying. I was up today for a bit in the KR3 but the
lift was ragged and I couldn't stay in it.

Frank Whiteley
May 19th 08, 05:01 AM
On May 18, 9:11 pm, Jim Meade > wrote:
> The FSDO called Friday and I hope to have my amended operating
> limitations perhaps this coming week. I'll have 10 hours to fly off
> in the Iowa City - Muscatine area.
>
> After that, I hope to come up to Ames and tag along some day and let
> you teach me to go cross country.
>
> Good job on your flying. I was up today for a bit in the KR3 but the
> lift was ragged and I couldn't stay in it.

Lift was a bit better north and east of there today. We drove under
the edge of the system about an hour before arriving in Faribault, MN,
from the SW at 1pm. Jim Hard flew his 1-26 from Faribault, MN to
Pontiac, IL today, around 350 miles.

Frank Whiteley

May 19th 08, 01:41 PM
On May 18, 11:01 pm, Frank Whiteley > wrote:
> On May 18, 9:11 pm, Jim Meade > wrote:
>
> > The FSDO called Friday and I hope to have my amended operating
> > limitations perhaps this coming week. I'll have 10 hours to fly off
> > in the Iowa City - Muscatine area.
>
> > After that, I hope to come up to Ames and tag along some day and let
> > you teach me to go cross country.
>
> > Good job on your flying. I was up today for a bit in the KR3 but the
> > lift was ragged and I couldn't stay in it.
>
> Lift was a bit better north and east of there today. We drove under
> the edge of the system about an hour before arriving in Faribault, MN,
> from the SW at 1pm. Jim Hard flew his 1-26 from Faribault, MN to
> Pontiac, IL today, around 350 miles.
>
> Frank Whiteley

thats awesome! I was figuring that it was a perfect day for Jim to do
a long distance flight.

May 22nd 08, 04:43 AM
I got the Cherokee back out today as conditions looked good and my
schedule was free for the afternoon. I discovered a few things that
all of you people know.

1) I need to fly faster. dawdling in sink in a steinway sailplane is
a bad idea.

2) I basically need to take every thermal, and take it to the top.
For a while I was thinking I was some hotshot racing pilot in a racing
glider and would only work a thermal until it started to weaken, or
skip a "weak" thermal altogether. probably why my average distance
last year was something like 20 miles.

So today I wanted to fly but had to be home for a powered lesson at 5
PM. headed west to the airport next door and worked up to 5000 AGL.
decided to make a run northeast to a small town and then make a turn
south with a very light tailwind for the trip home. Using the
brainwaves mentioned above I had a successful, and necessarily slow
flight. In fact its the first real triangle that I have ever
completed in the Cherokee. 46 nautical miles total in a mere 3 hrs 10
minutes. Lift was strong and so was the sink. A few times I pushed
ole 373Y up to a whopping 70 mph! I was always rewarded with another
thermal.

Final glide was fun too. I managed to get to my highest altitude of
the day over the last turnpoint. 6100 AGL with 18 miles to home. I
heard other club gliders having trouble finding lift at all near the
airport so I knew I should get as high as I can while I still had 500
fpm thermals. some high cirrus were moving in from the west and
partially obscuring the sun down there. I was pretty much on
glideslope the whole way back. I finally broke down about 4 miles out
and 1700 AGL and spent a few minutes circling to try to better my
position. I managed to improve it slightly but not much really. I
got to the airport with plenty of altitude to do a pattern. The good
ole cherokee managed a solid 18:1 ratio on the final glide, with
basically calm winds.

Maybe, just maybe, im starting to get the hang of this. Or I just got
lucky, cant really tell.

Pete Brown
May 23rd 08, 07:12 AM
I think it's so great that there are still guys out there who like
flying for the sake of flying.

Bravo

Pete
Anchorage

wrote:
In fact its the first real triangle that I have ever
> completed in the Cherokee. 46 nautical miles total in a mere 3 hrs 10
> minutes. Lift was strong and so was the sink. A few times I pushed
> ole 373Y up to a whopping 70 mph! I was always rewarded with another
> thermal.
>
> Final glide was fun too. I managed to get to my highest altitude of
> the day over the last turnpoint. 6100 AGL with 18 miles to home. I
> heard other club gliders having trouble finding lift at all near the
> airport so I knew I should get as high as I can while I still had 500
> fpm thermals. some high cirrus were moving in from the west and
> partially obscuring the sun down there. I was pretty much on
> glideslope the whole way back. I finally broke down about 4 miles out
> and 1700 AGL and spent a few minutes circling to try to better my
> position. I managed to improve it slightly but not much really. I
> got to the airport with plenty of altitude to do a pattern. The good
> ole cherokee managed a solid 18:1 ratio on the final glide, with
> basically calm winds.
>
> Maybe, just maybe, im starting to get the hang of this. Or I just got
> lucky, cant really tell.

Google