PDA

View Full Version : Leighton Collins "Takeoffs and Landings"

Jim Logajan
May 19th 08, 05:42 AM
I'm looking for some book recommendations - but the request comes with a
story:

A couple months ago I went with my wife to a quilting exhibition at the
local state fairgrounds. Quite nice quilting work, actually, though of
course I saw only one other male there. When we arrived the parking lot
was much fuller than I expected because it turned out that a used book
sale was also being done in another larger building. So after looking
over the hundred or so quilts we decided to wander over to the book sale
do some good old fashioned book browsing. Never know what old treasures
or curious titles one may stumble across.

Still, I had to restrain myself because I already have quite a few unread
books. I fear I'll never get through the backlog I already have before I
exit this mortal coil. But I did come across a couple used books that I
figured were worth spending $4 each on:

"Takeoffs and Landings" by Leighton Collins

"Free Flight" by James Fallows

The Collins book had a forward by Wolfgang Langewieshe, and the short bio
on the backcover told me all I needed to decide the book was worth
picking up.

The Fallows book had a picture of a Cirrus descending under parachute,
and the contents seem to suggest it would give some historical context to
the origin of Cirrus Aircraft and the concept of very-light-jets. The
book definitely covers those points, but also the cultural divide between
what Fallows calls the "enthusiasts" (those who seem to find anything
that flies interesting in itself) and "civilians" (pretty much everybody
else, who see aviation as just another mode of transportation).

I found both books to be quite instructive, entertaining, and useful. A
good fit for my current state of knowledge of the field of aviation. Old
hands may not find them of any value and might even have issues with
them.

I believe Collins' book is back in publication by ASA and I think it
makes an excellent follow-on to Langewiesche's "Stick and Rudder" book.

So to those who may be familiar with either book - do you know of
similarly interesting books? For example, I noticed there was one theme
(besides aviation of course) both books covered: how some ideas intended
to make planes easier or (hopefully) safer to fly sometimes encountered
resistance from the existing market or pilot base, and some never
catching on for one reason or another (I'm not qualified to judge whether
the reasons are valid). For example:

* Wing tip leading-edge slots, which allegedly significantly improve
lateral stability at the stall - but cost a few knots cruise speed.

* Stall resistant, spin-proof airplanes, like the Ercoupe and Skyfarer.

* Angle-of-attack indicators. (Collins had included this in his chapter
"Lost Causes" but since 1981, when the book was written, they appear to
have found strong market acceptance. At least that is my perception.)

* Castoring conventional gears to eliminate crosswind landing problems.
(Guess it was a bit unnerving to roll down the runway slightly sidways!)

* Ballistic parachutes for full size aircraft.

Jim Stewart
May 19th 08, 09:26 PM
John Smith wrote:
> I have both of the books Jim mentions.
> Leighton Collins' book was one of the first books I purchased after
> obtaining my PPL in 1981.
> Lots of practical knowledge not found in the pilot training materials.

For me, "Takeoffs and Landings" was worth the purchase
price for the somewhat non-intuitive trimming tip of..

"Center the ball with the rudder trim and stop the
compass with the aileron trim".

Jay Honeck[_2_]
May 20th 08, 01:03 PM
> The Fallow's book I found in the Dollar Store shelf three years ago.
> While an interesting read, it is more of a marketing book for Cirrus.

Fallows used to post here, from time to time. I suppose the Troll Wars
chased him off, too... Shame.

I've read some of his published stuff, and enjoyed it. He used to "appear"
on NPR news once in a while, too, as (in part) their aviation expert. He
then switched to TV, which (for me) means he disappeared completely. I
wonder what he's up to now?

Whoops, never mind: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/James_Fallows
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Rod
May 20th 08, 06:54 PM
Jay Honeck wrote:
>> The Fallow's book I found in the Dollar Store shelf three years ago.
>> While an interesting read, it is more of a marketing book for Cirrus.
>
> Fallows used to post here, from time to time. I suppose the Troll Wars
> chased him off, too... Shame.
>
> I've read some of his published stuff, and enjoyed it. He used to
> "appear" on NPR news once in a while, too, as (in part) their aviation
> expert. He then switched to TV, which (for me) means he disappeared
> completely. I wonder what he's up to now?
>
> Whoops, never mind: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/James_Fallows

Yeah, it's a shame that these flamers, who have nothing useful to
contribute, run off those who atre interesting and intelligent. Fallows
just wrote a very long and thoughtful article on China in The Atlantic.

Rod

Martin X. Moleski, SJ
May 21st 08, 01:36 AM
On Sun, 18 May 2008 23:42:39 -0500, Jim Logajan > wrote in
>:

> ... "Free Flight" by James Fallows ...

>The Fallows book had a picture of a Cirrus descending under parachute,
>and the contents seem to suggest it would give some historical context to
>the origin of Cirrus Aircraft and the concept of very-light-jets. The
>book definitely covers those points, but also the cultural divide between
>what Fallows calls the "enthusiasts" (those who seem to find anything
>that flies interesting in itself) and "civilians" (pretty much everybody
>else, who see aviation as just another mode of transportation).

>I found both books to be quite instructive, entertaining, and useful. ...

Fallows owned two Cirruses, if I understood it correctly
(one after the other). He was instrumented rated, too.

I believe that he sold the second went he went back to
Asia a few years ago. I have the impression that he
is not current.

He did read r.a.p around the time that he was writing
Free Flight.

Marty

Jay Honeck[_2_]
May 21st 08, 02:50 PM
> He did read r.a.p around the time that he was writing
> Free Flight.

Yep, that was fun. I'm sure new pilots here (if there are any) would find
it hard to believe this group once engaged men of his talent on a regular
basis.

I wonder what he'd make of RAP now?
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Martin X. Moleski, SJ
May 23rd 08, 02:41 AM
On Wed, 21 May 2008 13:50:15 GMT, "Jay Honeck" > wrote in <rMVYj.173524$yE1.76472@attbi_s21>:

>> He did read r.a.p around the time that he was writing
>> Free Flight.

>Yep, that was fun. I'm sure new pilots here (if there are any) would find
>it hard to believe this group once engaged men of his talent on a regular
>basis.

>I wonder what he'd make of RAP now?

Beats me.

I met him through a users group in DC back in the 80s.

Haven't seen or talked to him in person for the last
10 or 15 years. I hear about him through a mutual
friend who is himself not a Usenet denizen.

Taking a completely uninformed guess, I'd say he
probably drifted out of the group six or eight years
ago when other things became more interesting in his
life--long before the current spate of flamewars.

Marty
--
Big-8 newsgroups: humanities.*, misc.*, news.*, rec.*, sci.*, soc.*, talk.*
See http://www.big-8.org for info on how to add or remove newsgroups.

Google