PDA

View Full Version : [US] Standard Class Update from Cordele Day 6

Papa3
May 22nd 08, 11:48 AM
Well, it took a lot of waiting on the grid, but we eventually got a
contest day in on Wednesday.

Over night, a line of extremely strong thunderstorms dumped more than
an inch of rain on Cordele and the surrounding area. We awoke to find
standing water and mud on the airport, but there was blue sky above
and a fresh breeze from the west. Ray Galloway's weather report
suggested that there was a chance we might get in a day, but it all
depended on how long it took to dry out and get the heating going.

The first two tows for the sniffer resulted in his returning with
hardly a bump. By 1 pm, it wasn't looking too good. At 2 pm, it
wasn't looking too good. Finally, around 2:45 CD McQuigg threw up a
couple more contestants who managed to stick, albeit barely.
However, the sky began to look better and better to the South, and by
around 3:30 much of the fleet was in the air and finding 2-3kts to
over 3,500.

A minumum task of Tifton and return (around 80 miles) was called, and
most of the fleet went through the gate after 4 pm at over 5,000
feet. The run down to Tifton was actually pleasant, as large, honest
Cu formed and provided 3-4 and at times 5kts to nearly 6,000.

However, with the late start, it was just a question of when the day
would quit and how quickly. The last of the Cu began to disappear
about 20 miles out, and many competitors ran 90 degrees to courseline
chasing the last of them. Some were successful. Some weren't.

As your scribe was sitting in a very soft peanut field (remember the 1
inch of rain?) just 5 miles from Cordele, I can't say for sure how
many finishers we had. A look at the preliminary sheet last night
suggested about half the fleet made it. Most of the front runners
made it back, though there were one or two exceptions.

Today doesn't look overly promising. I'll write if I can, but don't
count on it.

P3

Google