PDA

View Full Version : assembly interruption a dangerous thing

danlj
May 22nd 08, 06:43 PM
Dear List,

From time to time a pilot is broken or totalled because assembly was
in some way incomplete. I'm simply writing to remind us all not to
permit ourselves to be involved in conversation, however well-
intended, during assembly.

This is motivated by the fact that I discovered that the wing root
tape IS sufficient to hold the right wing onto a Ventus when the main
spar pin is not fully engaged. This discovery was sufficiently
humiliating that I have waited for a few days to confess.

The hookups of the Ventus are brain-dead simple and foolproof, except
that the locking pins really do need to be engaged.

Sometimes I have forgotten to pull off the wing-root tape before
trying to remove the wings during disassembly, which has sparked one
of those random fantastical thoughts, "I wonder if the main spar pin
is really needed."

I normally assemble completely alone; one day last week a friend came
along to see the glider and wanted to 'help' assemble, and of course
happens to be one of those wonderfully friendly, fascinating, chatty
types.

During the latter part of the subsequent 2-hour flight, I heard a
faint low rumble from behind, making me wonder if the engine
compartment doors had fully closed.

After I landed, I discovered that the tape over the right wing root
gap was still fully covering the gap, but the gap had widened from the
usual 2mm to about 5 mm. I need hardly tell you the sense of fright
and self-abasement this inspired.

I immediately realized that I had failed to push the main spar pin
'home' - normally the sequence is to put it halfway through (into the
left spar) to hold the left wing in place while the right wing is
installed, then go straightaway and push it home. In this case an
interruption to correct wing-taping being done by my 'assistant'
caused this step to be skipped.

I recall an old suggestion that pilots should wear a red cap as a
signal not to be interrupted. But the signal won't be obeyed until
it's learned. Maybe a more effective device would be to screen-print
words on the front and back of a light vest to be worn during
assembly, perhaps
"DEAF" - or
"Shut up (please)"

But of course the real discipline is with us assemblers, to not permit
interruptions, and to say to the first person who offers to help,
"Yes, you can help by preventing anyone from talking to me until this
is done."

Dan Johnson

May 22nd 08, 07:44 PM
On May 22, 10:43*am, danlj > wrote:
> Dear List,
>
> From time to time a pilot is broken or totalled because assembly was
> in some way incomplete. I'm simply writing to remind us all not to
> permit ourselves to be involved in conversation, however well-
> intended, during assembly.
>
> This is motivated by the fact that I discovered that the wing root
> tape IS sufficient to hold the right wing onto a Ventus when the main
> spar pin is not fully engaged. This discovery was sufficiently
> humiliating that I have waited for a few days to confess.
>
> The hookups of the Ventus are brain-dead simple and foolproof, except
> that the locking pins really do need to be engaged.
>
> Sometimes I have forgotten to pull off the wing-root tape before
> trying to remove the wings during disassembly, which has sparked one
> of those random fantastical thoughts, "I wonder if the main spar pin
> is really needed."
>
> I normally assemble completely alone; one day last week a friend came
> along to see the glider and wanted to 'help' assemble, and of course
> happens to be one of those wonderfully friendly, fascinating, chatty
> types.
>
> During the latter part of the subsequent 2-hour flight, I heard a
> faint low rumble from behind, making me wonder if the engine
> compartment doors had fully closed.
>
> After I landed, I discovered that the tape over the right wing root
> gap was still fully covering the gap, but the gap had widened from the
> usual 2mm to about 5 mm. I need hardly tell you the sense of fright
> and self-abasement this inspired.
>
> I immediately realized that I had failed to push the main spar pin
> 'home' - normally the sequence is to put it halfway through (into the
> left spar) to hold the left wing in place while the right wing is
> installed, then go straightaway and push it home. In this case an
> interruption to correct wing-taping being done by my 'assistant'
> caused this step to be skipped.
>
> I recall an old suggestion that pilots should wear a red cap as a
> signal not to be interrupted. But the signal won't be obeyed until
> it's learned. Maybe a more effective device would be to screen-print
> words on the front and back of a light vest to be worn during
> assembly, perhaps
> *"DEAF" - or
> "Shut up (please)"
>
> But of course the real discipline is with us assemblers, to not permit
> interruptions, and to say to the first person who offers to help,
> "Yes, you can help by preventing anyone from talking to me until this
> is done."
>
> Dan Johnson

Thanks for posting that, Dan.
I have on more than one occaision, been interrupted during assembly,
and forgoten things. Fortunately for me, nothing that would be likely
to kill me......yet.

Rick Culbertson
May 22nd 08, 07:50 PM
Dan,

Yikes! thank you for sharing your scary lesson with your soaring
friends, and we're all very glad you're still around to tell it!

At many soaring clubs, mine included the set up area is a busy and
fairly social hot spot not to mention a magnet for visitors; obviously
a potential assembly check list distraction. Balancing life safety
assembly issues with a clubs PR need be engaging vs. aloof with
visitors and friends alike is a delicate dance. I've thought of
perhaps placing/hanging a polite but obvious laminated sign perhaps in
Red on my open trailer or on the canopy or between the canopy and
glare shield during assembly that simply states something like:

"CRITICAL AIRCRAFT ASSEMBLY IN PROGRESS
Please do not disturb the pilot until this sign is removed.
Thank you, Name and glider ID"

That simple addition to the assembly process just may save a life
someday, maybe mine!

Rick - 21

fbrahic
May 22nd 08, 08:54 PM
What about encouraging pilots doing assembly to wear brightly colored
ear muffs or ear plugs to both discourage interactions and remove
distractions?

On May 22, 11:50 am, Rick Culbertson > wrote:
> Dan,
>
> Yikes! thank you for sharing your scary lesson with your soaring
> friends, and we're all very glad you're still around to tell it!
>
> At many soaring clubs, mine included the set up area is a busy and
> fairly social hot spot not to mention a magnet for visitors; obviously
> a potential assembly check list distraction. Balancing life safety
> assembly issues with a clubs PR need be engaging vs. aloof with
> visitors and friends alike is a delicate dance. I've thought of
> perhaps placing/hanging a polite but obvious laminated sign perhaps in
> Red on my open trailer or on the canopy or between the canopy and
> glare shield during assembly that simply states something like:
>
> "CRITICAL AIRCRAFT ASSEMBLY IN PROGRESS
> Please do not disturb the pilot until this sign is removed.
> Thank you, Name and glider ID"
>
> That simple addition to the assembly process just may save a life
> someday, maybe mine!
>
> Rick - 21

Wayne Paul
May 22nd 08, 08:58 PM
Dan,

That scares me, and I'm fearless!

Wayne
HP-14 "Six Foxtrot"
http://www.soaridaho.com/

"danlj" > wrote in message
> Dear List,
>
> From time to time a pilot is broken or totalled because assembly was
> in some way incomplete. I'm simply writing to remind us all not to
> permit ourselves to be involved in conversation, however well-
> intended, during assembly.
>
> This is motivated by the fact that I discovered that the wing root
> tape IS sufficient to hold the right wing onto a Ventus when the main
> spar pin is not fully engaged. This discovery was sufficiently
> humiliating that I have waited for a few days to confess.
>
> The hookups of the Ventus are brain-dead simple and foolproof, except
> that the locking pins really do need to be engaged.
>
> Sometimes I have forgotten to pull off the wing-root tape before
> trying to remove the wings during disassembly, which has sparked one
> of those random fantastical thoughts, "I wonder if the main spar pin
> is really needed."
>
> I normally assemble completely alone; one day last week a friend came
> along to see the glider and wanted to 'help' assemble, and of course
> happens to be one of those wonderfully friendly, fascinating, chatty
> types.
>
> During the latter part of the subsequent 2-hour flight, I heard a
> faint low rumble from behind, making me wonder if the engine
> compartment doors had fully closed.
>
> After I landed, I discovered that the tape over the right wing root
> gap was still fully covering the gap, but the gap had widened from the
> usual 2mm to about 5 mm. I need hardly tell you the sense of fright
> and self-abasement this inspired.
>
> I immediately realized that I had failed to push the main spar pin
> 'home' - normally the sequence is to put it halfway through (into the
> left spar) to hold the left wing in place while the right wing is
> installed, then go straightaway and push it home. In this case an
> interruption to correct wing-taping being done by my 'assistant'
> caused this step to be skipped.
>
> I recall an old suggestion that pilots should wear a red cap as a
> signal not to be interrupted. But the signal won't be obeyed until
> it's learned. Maybe a more effective device would be to screen-print
> words on the front and back of a light vest to be worn during
> assembly, perhaps
> "DEAF" - or
> "Shut up (please)"
>
> But of course the real discipline is with us assemblers, to not permit
> interruptions, and to say to the first person who offers to help,
> "Yes, you can help by preventing anyone from talking to me until this
> is done."
>
> Dan Johnson

JJ Sinclair
May 22nd 08, 09:16 PM
Dan,
Thanks for posting that, but the truth is, interuptions WILL occur.
Suppose someone crashed right in front of you while you were
assembling? Don't tell me you won't be interupted. The answer lies in
a final critical assembly check which includes not only the flight
controls but the main wing pins and TE probe. BTW, your Ventus wing
won't stay on with just wing tape, that pin forms the second member
and must have been into the second spar far enough to take the flight
loads. You're one lucky guy!

JJ, who has twice failed to connect the outboard ailerons on an ASH-25
because I was explaining how I never forget to hook everything up to
an on-looker! But, I caught it both times when I did my critical
assembly check.

Andy[_1_]
May 22nd 08, 09:46 PM
On May 22, 1:16*pm, JJ Sinclair > wrote:
> BTW, your Ventus wing
> won't stay on with just wing tape, that pin forms the second member
> and must have been into the second spar far enough to take the flight
> loads.

I initially thought the wing pin on a Ventus, like other gliders that
engage a spar end pin in the opposite root, takes no flight loads.

I can see though that any yawing would tend to push the wings apart as
the fuselage would tend to rotate between the wing roots just as if
the lift pins are not properly shimmed. I can see that would quite
quickly cause the tape to yield.

So I agree that, althought the wing pin carries no lift load when the
wings are fully engaged it probably does carry flight loads due to
yawing.

Maybe the OP flys very smooth and co-ordinated? Maybe he's just very
lucky.

Andy

Werner Schmidt
May 22nd 08, 10:12 PM
Hallo JJ Sinclair, you wrote at 22.05.2008 22:16

> Dan,
> Thanks for posting that, but the truth is, interuptions WILL occur.
> Suppose someone crashed right in front of you while you were
> assembling? Don't tell me you won't be interupted. The answer lies in
> a final critical assembly check which includes not only the flight
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
!

That's it.

regards
Werner

Chris Gough
May 22nd 08, 10:45 PM
Create a rigging check list if it helps - when I rig I also get someone to
independantly check its rigged correctly- a very good habit to get into
especially if you don't have auto control connections.

Chris

May 23rd 08, 12:00 AM
Agree with JJ. Part of the final checklist should include visually
verifying safetied wing pins. That pretty much tells you they are in
the right place and not going anywhere.

CLewis95
May 23rd 08, 12:51 AM
On May 22, 12:43*pm, danlj > wrote:
> Dear List,
>
> From time to time a pilot is broken or totalled because assembly was
> in some way incomplete. I'm simply writing to remind us all not to
> permit ourselves to be involved in conversation, however well-
> intended, during assembly.
>
> This is motivated by the fact that I discovered that the wing root
> tape IS sufficient to hold the right wing onto a Ventus when the main
> spar pin is not fully engaged. This discovery was sufficiently
> humiliating that I have waited for a few days to confess.
>
> The hookups of the Ventus are brain-dead simple and foolproof, except
> that the locking pins really do need to be engaged.
>
> Sometimes I have forgotten to pull off the wing-root tape before
> trying to remove the wings during disassembly, which has sparked one
> of those random fantastical thoughts, "I wonder if the main spar pin
> is really needed."
>
> I normally assemble completely alone; one day last week a friend came
> along to see the glider and wanted to 'help' assemble, and of course
> happens to be one of those wonderfully friendly, fascinating, chatty
> types.
>
> During the latter part of the subsequent 2-hour flight, I heard a
> faint low rumble from behind, making me wonder if the engine
> compartment doors had fully closed.
>
> After I landed, I discovered that the tape over the right wing root
> gap was still fully covering the gap, but the gap had widened from the
> usual 2mm to about 5 mm. I need hardly tell you the sense of fright
> and self-abasement this inspired.
>
> I immediately realized that I had failed to push the main spar pin
> 'home' - normally the sequence is to put it halfway through (into the
> left spar) to hold the left wing in place while the right wing is
> installed, then go straightaway and push it home. In this case an
> interruption to correct wing-taping being done by my 'assistant'
> caused this step to be skipped.
>
> I recall an old suggestion that pilots should wear a red cap as a
> signal not to be interrupted. But the signal won't be obeyed until
> it's learned. Maybe a more effective device would be to screen-print
> words on the front and back of a light vest to be worn during
> assembly, perhaps
> *"DEAF" - or
> "Shut up (please)"
>
> But of course the real discipline is with us assemblers, to not permit
> interruptions, and to say to the first person who offers to help,
> "Yes, you can help by preventing anyone from talking to me until this
> is done."
>
> Dan Johnson

Thanks for sharing this Dan.

I love your simple answer to the eager helpers.... "you can help by
preventing anyone from talking to me until this is done." After a
while the eager helpers will get the idea.

Curt Lewis - 95

May 23rd 08, 01:25 AM
On May 22, 7:51 pm, CLewis95 > wrote:
> On May 22, 12:43 pm, danlj > wrote:
>

> > Dear List,
>
> > From time to time a pilot is broken or totalled because assembly was
> > in some way incomplete. I'm simply writing to remind us all not to
> > permit ourselves to be involved in conversation, however well-
> > intended, during assembly.
>
> > This is motivated by the fact that I discovered that the wing root
> > tape IS sufficient to hold the right wing onto a Ventus when the main
> > spar pin is not fully engaged. This discovery was sufficiently
> > humiliating that I have waited for a few days to confess.
>
> > The hookups of the Ventus are brain-dead simple and foolproof, except
> > that the locking pins really do need to be engaged.
>
> > Sometimes I have forgotten to pull off the wing-root tape before
> > trying to remove the wings during disassembly, which has sparked one
> > of those random fantastical thoughts, "I wonder if the main spar pin
> > is really needed."
>
> > I normally assemble completely alone; one day last week a friend came
> > along to see the glider and wanted to 'help' assemble, and of course
> > happens to be one of those wonderfully friendly, fascinating, chatty
> > types.
>
> > During the latter part of the subsequent 2-hour flight, I heard a
> > faint low rumble from behind, making me wonder if the engine
> > compartment doors had fully closed.
>
> > After I landed, I discovered that the tape over the right wing root
> > gap was still fully covering the gap, but the gap had widened from the
> > usual 2mm to about 5 mm. I need hardly tell you the sense of fright
> > and self-abasement this inspired.
>
> > I immediately realized that I had failed to push the main spar pin
> > 'home' - normally the sequence is to put it halfway through (into the
> > left spar) to hold the left wing in place while the right wing is
> > installed, then go straightaway and push it home. In this case an
> > interruption to correct wing-taping being done by my 'assistant'
> > caused this step to be skipped.
>
> > I recall an old suggestion that pilots should wear a red cap as a
> > signal not to be interrupted. But the signal won't be obeyed until
> > it's learned. Maybe a more effective device would be to screen-print
> > words on the front and back of a light vest to be worn during
> > assembly, perhaps
> > "DEAF" - or
> > "Shut up (please)"
>
> > But of course the real discipline is with us assemblers, to not permit
> > interruptions, and to say to the first person who offers to help,
> > "Yes, you can help by preventing anyone from talking to me until this
> > is done."
>
> > Dan Johnson
>
> Thanks for sharing this Dan.
>
> I love your simple answer to the eager helpers.... "you can help by
> preventing anyone from talking to me until this is done." After a
> while the eager helpers will get the idea.
>
> Curt Lewis - 95

We had a very talkative visitor show up at our club the other day, who
approached one pilot in the middle of
assembling his plane. The pilot just turned to the fellow and said,
"I am doing things that my life depends on
me doing correctly. I'll talk to you later."

Barny
May 23rd 08, 01:29 AM
Addition to safety concerns is "rash". My last glider fuselage
received an ugly scratch when a veteran glider pilot insisted on
getting my attention to tell me "you should have been here yesterday".
I ignored him, but he kept repeating himself, so I rolled the wing
back into the trailer to wait him out, dragging the wing cradle bolt
along the fuselage as I did so. I was not pleased.

Brian[_1_]
May 23rd 08, 04:38 AM
On May 22, 2:16*pm, JJ Sinclair > wrote:
> Dan,
> Thanks for posting that, but the truth is, interuptions WILL occur.
> Suppose someone crashed right in front of you while you were
> assembling? Don't tell me you won't be interupted. The answer lies in
> a final critical assembly check which includes not only the flight
> controls but the main wing pins and TE probe. BTW, your Ventus wing
> won't stay on with just wing tape, that pin forms the second member
> and must have been into the second spar far enough to take the flight
> loads. You're one lucky guy!
>
> JJ, who has twice failed to connect the outboard ailerons on an ASH-25
> because I was explaining how I never forget to hook everything up to
> an on-looker! *But, I caught it both times when I did my critical
> assembly check.

JJ beat me to posting this.
I am a huge fan of Critical Assembly Check Lists.

I strongly recommend having one printed on front of your Seat Pan.
Then make a habit of checking it before you get in the glider.
If you have an access door for your controls, have one printed on the
inside of the door and never install the door without going through
the checklist.

Look at your glider and figure out where you should have Critical
Assembly Checklists that you can easily use. I like having them
attached or printed on parts of the glider so I don't have to look for
them.

My HP16 has a Turtle Deck. I have one printed on the Wing Spar. I
never install the Turtle deck without going through the check list
which is, Ailerons Safeties installed, Wing Pin Safeties installed,
Battery Secured.

Keep the checklist to short containing only critical items. The check
list is more likely to be used this way and there less chance you will
skip something on it.

Brian
CFIIG/ASEL

Adam
May 23rd 08, 05:51 AM
On May 22, 10:38 pm, Brian > wrote:
> On May 22, 2:16 pm, JJ Sinclair > wrote:
>
> > Dan,
> > Thanks for posting that, but the truth is, interuptions WILL occur.
> > Suppose someone crashed right in front of you while you were
> > assembling? Don't tell me you won't be interupted. The answer lies in
> > a final critical assembly check which includes not only the flight
> > controls but the main wing pins and TE probe. BTW, your Ventus wing
> > won't stay on with just wing tape, that pin forms the second member
> > and must have been into the second spar far enough to take the flight
> > loads. You're one lucky guy!
>
> > JJ, who has twice failed to connect the outboard ailerons on an ASH-25
> > because I was explaining how I never forget to hook everything up to
> > an on-looker! But, I caught it both times when I did my critical
> > assembly check.
>
> JJ beat me to posting this.
> I am a huge fan of Critical Assembly Check Lists.
>
> I strongly recommend having one printed on front of your Seat Pan.
> Then make a habit of checking it before you get in the glider.
> If you have an access door for your controls, have one printed on the
> inside of the door and never install the door without going through
> the checklist.
>
> Look at your glider and figure out where you should have Critical
> Assembly Checklists that you can easily use. I like having them
> attached or printed on parts of the glider so I don't have to look for
> them.
>
> My HP16 has a Turtle Deck. I have one printed on the Wing Spar. I
> never install the Turtle deck without going through the check list
> which is, Ailerons Safeties installed, Wing Pin Safeties installed,
> Battery Secured.
>
> Keep the checklist to short containing only critical items. The check
> list is more likely to be used this way and there less chance you will
> skip something on it.
>
> Brian
> CFIIG/ASEL

I made what I call a "Fast-Five" list for my critical checkpoints on
my ship.
1. Main Spar pin safety
2. Aileron L safety
3. Aileron R safety
4. Elevator Pin safety
5. Elevator rod safety

I also keep a detailed assy checklist that help me remember items such
as the cell phone and to leave my car keys. But the critical list is
used at least twice in assy and in preflight. After all that I still
managed to fly with disconnected instruments once last season...

/Adam

Shawn[_5_]
May 23rd 08, 06:56 AM
fbrahic wrote:
> What about encouraging pilots doing assembly to wear brightly colored
> ear muffs or ear plugs to both discourage interactions and remove
> distractions?

Pink and furry. You'll be left alone ;-)

Dan, thanks for posting. Glad the tape was enough-this time!
BTW if you fly a Ventus b, assembly can go wrong. The flap drive can go
together setting the right and left flaps at different positions. I
caught this once during assembly, my partner caught it during a control
check. Not sure if the V2 has the same connection.

Shawn

Morten Wartou
May 23rd 08, 07:43 AM
Uh, that is scary... I've wondered several times while helping to put
together Schempp-Hirth planes, why the heck they've done the wing assembly
the way the have - right, it's easy to do it that way, the wings just sit
there when put into the body, but some day someone would forget the main
spar pin... I think it would be a good idea to always (well, only when the
wings aren't mounted!) let the main spar pin rest on the plane's pilot seat
(back seat on two-seater isn't good enough if it's flown by one person:).

A couple of days ago, the danish news paper Politiken brought this very
relevant cartoon: http://politiken.dk/wm/article508875.ece - the text says:
"Erik, I told you to get those wings checked before we went on vacation". :)

Best regards,

Morten Wartou

"danlj" > skrev i meddelelsen
> Dear List,
>
> From time to time a pilot is broken or totalled because assembly was
> in some way incomplete. I'm simply writing to remind us all not to
> permit ourselves to be involved in conversation, however well-
> intended, during assembly.
>
> This is motivated by the fact that I discovered that the wing root
> tape IS sufficient to hold the right wing onto a Ventus when the main
> spar pin is not fully engaged. This discovery was sufficiently
> humiliating that I have waited for a few days to confess.
>
> The hookups of the Ventus are brain-dead simple and foolproof, except
> that the locking pins really do need to be engaged.
>
> Sometimes I have forgotten to pull off the wing-root tape before
> trying to remove the wings during disassembly, which has sparked one
> of those random fantastical thoughts, "I wonder if the main spar pin
> is really needed."
>
> I normally assemble completely alone; one day last week a friend came
> along to see the glider and wanted to 'help' assemble, and of course
> happens to be one of those wonderfully friendly, fascinating, chatty
> types.
>
> During the latter part of the subsequent 2-hour flight, I heard a
> faint low rumble from behind, making me wonder if the engine
> compartment doors had fully closed.
>
> After I landed, I discovered that the tape over the right wing root
> gap was still fully covering the gap, but the gap had widened from the
> usual 2mm to about 5 mm. I need hardly tell you the sense of fright
> and self-abasement this inspired.
>
> I immediately realized that I had failed to push the main spar pin
> 'home' - normally the sequence is to put it halfway through (into the
> left spar) to hold the left wing in place while the right wing is
> installed, then go straightaway and push it home. In this case an
> interruption to correct wing-taping being done by my 'assistant'
> caused this step to be skipped.
>
> I recall an old suggestion that pilots should wear a red cap as a
> signal not to be interrupted. But the signal won't be obeyed until
> it's learned. Maybe a more effective device would be to screen-print
> words on the front and back of a light vest to be worn during
> assembly, perhaps
> "DEAF" - or
> "Shut up (please)"
>
> But of course the real discipline is with us assemblers, to not permit
> interruptions, and to say to the first person who offers to help,
> "Yes, you can help by preventing anyone from talking to me until this
> is done."
>
> Dan Johnson

Bert Willing[_2_]
May 23rd 08, 08:20 AM
The Schempp-Hirth pin does not carry any load, it's just there to lock the
assembly.

Very frightening report - thanks Dan!

Bert

"JJ Sinclair" > wrote in message
> Dan,
> Thanks for posting that, but the truth is, interuptions WILL occur.
> Suppose someone crashed right in front of you while you were
> assembling? Don't tell me you won't be interupted. The answer lies in
> a final critical assembly check which includes not only the flight
> controls but the main wing pins and TE probe. BTW, your Ventus wing
> won't stay on with just wing tape, that pin forms the second member
> and must have been into the second spar far enough to take the flight
> loads. You're one lucky guy!
>
> JJ, who has twice failed to connect the outboard ailerons on an ASH-25
> because I was explaining how I never forget to hook everything up to
> an on-looker! But, I caught it both times when I did my critical
> assembly check.

JJ Sinclair
May 23rd 08, 02:53 PM
> The Schempp-Hirth pin does not carry any load, it's just there to lock the
> assembly.

Yeah, your right, I was thinking of the Nimbus pin which does carry a
load.

Dan, doesn't your proceduer of putting the pin half way, build in an
interruption? Why not get the wings together (prying with a broom
stick inserted in the hole) and then put the pin in all the way and
safety it right then? When I am interrupted, I try and leave something
there to remind me that I haven't finished the procedure, like hanging
my hat on the TE probe to remind me to go back and finish the tail
plane installation. I remember a guy that was right there, but
couldn't secure the tail plane because he had given the little red
tool to his wife so she could put water in the
wings................................he never came back to finish the
job and he is no longer with us!
Thanks for posting, we need to talk about these kind of things,
JJ

SoCalSoaring
May 23rd 08, 04:07 PM
JJ Sinclair wrote:
>> The Schempp-Hirth pin does not carry any load, it's just there to lock the
>> assembly.
>
> Yeah, your right, I was thinking of the Nimbus pin which does carry a
> load.
>
> Dan, doesn't your proceduer of putting the pin half way, build in an
> interruption?

My Discus manual recommends you do it this way -- halfway in to hold the
first wing, then all the way after the second wing is mounted.

I wonder if there is a way to have a little red flag that hangs over the
ASI when the wings are off. It would have velcro on it, and you would
stick it to another piece of velcro on the wing pin when the pin is
fully installed.

Why not get the wings together (prying with a broom
> stick inserted in the hole) and then put the pin in all the way and
> safety it right then? When I am interrupted, I try and leave something
> there to remind me that I haven't finished the procedure, like hanging
> my hat on the TE probe to remind me to go back and finish the tail
> plane installation. I remember a guy that was right there, but
> couldn't secure the tail plane because he had given the little red
> tool to his wife so she could put water in the
> wings................................he never came back to finish the
> job and he is no longer with us!
> Thanks for posting, we need to talk about these kind of things,
> JJ

May 23rd 08, 04:53 PM
On May 22, 1:43*pm, danlj > wrote:
> Dear List,
>
> From time to time a pilot is broken or totalled because assembly was
> in some way incomplete. I'm simply writing to remind us all not to
> permit ourselves to be involved in conversation, however well-
> intended, during assembly.
>
> This is motivated by the fact that I discovered that the wing root
> tape IS sufficient to hold the right wing onto a Ventus when the main
> spar pin is not fully engaged. This discovery was sufficiently
> humiliating that I have waited for a few days to confess.
>
> The hookups of the Ventus are brain-dead simple and foolproof, except
> that the locking pins really do need to be engaged.
>
> Sometimes I have forgotten to pull off the wing-root tape before
> trying to remove the wings during disassembly, which has sparked one
> of those random fantastical thoughts, "I wonder if the main spar pin
> is really needed."
>
> I normally assemble completely alone; one day last week a friend came
> along to see the glider and wanted to 'help' assemble, and of course
> happens to be one of those wonderfully friendly, fascinating, chatty
> types.
>
> During the latter part of the subsequent 2-hour flight, I heard a
> faint low rumble from behind, making me wonder if the engine
> compartment doors had fully closed.
>
> After I landed, I discovered that the tape over the right wing root
> gap was still fully covering the gap, but the gap had widened from the
> usual 2mm to about 5 mm. I need hardly tell you the sense of fright
> and self-abasement this inspired.
>
> I immediately realized that I had failed to push the main spar pin
> 'home' - normally the sequence is to put it halfway through (into the
> left spar) to hold the left wing in place while the right wing is
> installed, then go straightaway and push it home. In this case an
> interruption to correct wing-taping being done by my 'assistant'
> caused this step to be skipped.
>
> I recall an old suggestion that pilots should wear a red cap as a
> signal not to be interrupted. But the signal won't be obeyed until
> it's learned. Maybe a more effective device would be to screen-print
> words on the front and back of a light vest to be worn during
> assembly, perhaps
> *"DEAF" - or
> "Shut up (please)"
>
> But of course the real discipline is with us assemblers, to not permit
> interruptions, and to say to the first person who offers to help,
> "Yes, you can help by preventing anyone from talking to me until this
> is done."
>
> Dan Johnson

I use a written assembly check list, laminated and attached to a
clipboard. I check off each step with a red grease pencil. If by
chance I'm interrupted, I have a written record of the assembly
progress and know exactly where I left off and what steps remain.

Rich Kiray

drbdanieli
May 23rd 08, 07:32 PM
On May 23, 8:53�am, wrote:
> On May 22, 1:43�pm, danlj > wrote:
>

> > Dear List,
>
> > From time to time a pilot is broken or totalled because assembly was
> > in some way incomplete. I'm simply writing to remind us all not to
> > permit ourselves to be involved in conversation, however well-
> > intended, during assembly.
>
> > This is motivated by the fact that I discovered that the wing root
> > tape IS sufficient to hold the right wing onto a Ventus when the main
> > spar pin is not fully engaged. This discovery was sufficiently
> > humiliating that I have waited for a few days to confess.
>
> > The hookups of the Ventus are brain-dead simple and foolproof, except
> > that the locking pins really do need to be engaged.
>
> > Sometimes I have forgotten to pull off the wing-root tape before
> > trying to remove the wings during disassembly, which has sparked one
> > of those random fantastical thoughts, "I wonder if the main spar pin
> > is really needed."
>
> > I normally assemble completely alone; one day last week a friend came
> > along to see the glider and wanted to 'help' assemble, and of course
> > happens to be one of those wonderfully friendly, fascinating, chatty
> > types.
>
> > During the latter part of the subsequent 2-hour flight, I heard a
> > faint low rumble from behind, making me wonder if the engine
> > compartment doors had fully closed.
>
> > After I landed, I discovered that the tape over the right wing root
> > gap was still fully covering the gap, but the gap had widened from the
> > usual 2mm to about 5 mm. I need hardly tell you the sense of fright
> > and self-abasement this inspired.
>
> > I immediately realized that I had failed to push the main spar pin
> > 'home' - normally the sequence is to put it halfway through (into the
> > left spar) to hold the left wing in place while the right wing is
> > installed, then go straightaway and push it home. In this case an
> > interruption to correct wing-taping being done by my 'assistant'
> > caused this step to be skipped.
>
> > I recall an old suggestion that pilots should wear a red cap as a
> > signal not to be interrupted. But the signal won't be obeyed until
> > it's learned. Maybe a more effective device would be to screen-print
> > words on the front and back of a light vest to be worn during
> > assembly, perhaps
> > �"DEAF" - or
> > "Shut up (please)"
>
> > But of course the real discipline is with us assemblers, to not permit
> > interruptions, and to say to the first person who offers to help,
> > "Yes, you can help by preventing anyone from talking to me until this
> > is done."
>
> > Dan Johnson
>
> I use a written assembly check list, laminated and attached to a
> clipboard. I check off each step with a red grease pencil. �If by
> chance I'm interrupted, I have a written record of the assembly
> progress and know exactly where I left off and what steps remain.
>
> Rich Kiray- Hide quoted text -

drbdanieli
May 23rd 08, 07:37 PM
On May 23, 8:53�am, wrote:
> On May 22, 1:43�pm, danlj > wrote:
>

> > Dear List,
>
> > From time to time a pilot is broken or totalled because assembly was
> > in some way incomplete. I'm simply writing to remind us all not to
> > permit ourselves to be involved in conversation, however well-
> > intended, during assembly.
>
> > This is motivated by the fact that I discovered that the wing root
> > tape IS sufficient to hold the right wing onto a Ventus when the main
> > spar pin is not fully engaged. This discovery was sufficiently
> > humiliating that I have waited for a few days to confess.
>
> > The hookups of the Ventus are brain-dead simple and foolproof, except
> > that the locking pins really do need to be engaged.
>
> > Sometimes I have forgotten to pull off the wing-root tape before
> > trying to remove the wings during disassembly, which has sparked one
> > of those random fantastical thoughts, "I wonder if the main spar pin
> > is really needed."
>
> > I normally assemble completely alone; one day last week a friend came
> > along to see the glider and wanted to 'help' assemble, and of course
> > happens to be one of those wonderfully friendly, fascinating, chatty
> > types.
>
> > During the latter part of the subsequent 2-hour flight, I heard a
> > faint low rumble from behind, making me wonder if the engine
> > compartment doors had fully closed.
>
> > After I landed, I discovered that the tape over the right wing root
> > gap was still fully covering the gap, but the gap had widened from the
> > usual 2mm to about 5 mm. I need hardly tell you the sense of fright
> > and self-abasement this inspired.
>
> > I immediately realized that I had failed to push the main spar pin
> > 'home' - normally the sequence is to put it halfway through (into the
> > left spar) to hold the left wing in place while the right wing is
> > installed, then go straightaway and push it home. In this case an
> > interruption to correct wing-taping being done by my 'assistant'
> > caused this step to be skipped.
>
> > I recall an old suggestion that pilots should wear a red cap as a
> > signal not to be interrupted. But the signal won't be obeyed until
> > it's learned. Maybe a more effective device would be to screen-print
> > words on the front and back of a light vest to be worn during
> > assembly, perhaps
> > �"DEAF" - or
> > "Shut up (please)"
>
> > But of course the real discipline is with us assemblers, to not permit
> > interruptions, and to say to the first person who offers to help,
> > "Yes, you can help by preventing anyone from talking to me until this
> > is done."
>
> > Dan Johnson
>
> I use a written assembly check list, laminated and attached to a
> clipboard. I check off each step with a red grease pencil. �If by
> chance I'm interrupted, I have a written record of the assembly
> progress and know exactly where I left off and what steps remain.
>
> Rich Kiray- Hide quoted text -

One thing I did when I owned my Ventus was I would clip the main
safety pin on the boom mike. You shouldn't be taking off if that
thing was hanging in front of your face!

Ian
May 24th 08, 09:47 PM
On 22 May, 19:50, Rick Culbertson > wrote:

> *"CRITICAL AIRCRAFT ASSEMBLY IN PROGRESS
> *Please do not disturb the pilot until this sign is removed.
> * * * * * * *Thank you, Name and glider ID"
>
> That simple addition to the assembly process just may save a life
> someday, maybe mine!

As long as it doesn't stop someone from pointing out (or noticing)
something you've missed.

My present club insists on independent rigging checks for all
aircraft, and I have /always/ asked someone else to check the main pin
insertion as well as the control connections. Maybe worth considering
where the OP flies?

Ian

Ian
May 24th 08, 09:51 PM
On 23 May, 00:51, CLewis95 > wrote:

> I love your simple answer to the eager helpers.... "you can help by
> preventing anyone from talking to me until this is done." *After a
> while the eager helpers will get the idea.

I like having eager helpers. I can't lift a Pirat centre section on my
own, and I can say to them "Will you confirm that this control is on
tight and that a small pin has popped out behind it?"

Ian

Jack[_10_]
May 26th 08, 08:34 PM
JJ Sinclair wrote:

> Thanks for posting, we need to talk about these kind of things....

This is an important thread. In reading through the posts, I notice many
instances of "I never...", and "I always...." Such absolutism can also
produce a dangerous mindset, one from which a mistaken self-assurance
can grow. Every time you assemble is a little different from every
other. Be alert to the moment and its unique challenges. Avoid following
the well worn path of habit.

No rush, no rash.

Jack

Bob Whelan[_2_]
May 26th 08, 11:58 PM
Jack wrote:
> JJ Sinclair wrote:
>
>> Thanks for posting, we need to talk about these kind of things....
>

> This is an important thread. In reading through the posts, I notice many
> instances of "I never...", and "I always...." Such absolutism can also
> produce a dangerous mindset, one from which a mistaken self-assurance
> can grow. Every time you assemble is a little different from every
> other. Be alert to the moment and its unique challenges. Avoid following
> the well worn path of habit.
>
> No rush, no rash.

Always remember that never before has a thread contained so much
absolutely important material.

There may be a simpler, safer ship to rig than a Zuni (1970's American
15m design), but I've not yet seen it. Except for the single main pin,
everything connects automatically, with no possibility of mis-set flaps
or ailerons or (all-flying) horizontal stabilizer. (There are no
spoilers, and, no loose safety pins.) Further, the main pin safety is
built into the ship, in easy reach and plain sight.

God, Himself, would have difficulty rigging a Zuni improperly, while
only an idiot would never rig a Zuni incompletely.

In fact, I've incompletely-rigged mine only once since 1981. I
absolutely meant to never do it. I've never done it since, and yet,
maybe 18 or so years after it happened, I still feel like an absolute
idiot. I'm darned glad I can, and still do!!!

There I was, whining to my derigging buddy about falling out on a
rotorish day a mere 2.5 hours after releasing, reached in to unsafety
the main pin only to discover God had already pre-removed it by an inch
or so...BECAUSE I'D FORGOTTEN TO ROTATE THE HANDLE INTO POSITION FOR THE
(NEARLY) AUTOMATIC SAFETY TO SPRING BACK INTO 'HANDLE-CAPTURED/SAFETIED'
POSITION.

I now have a good idea what heart stoppage feels like.

Kids, however you accomplish it, don't try this on your own!!! Not even
if you're a trained professional...

Regards,
Bob - human perfection is not an option - W.

Jack[_10_]
May 27th 08, 06:11 PM
Bob Whelan wrote:
> Jack wrote:
>> JJ Sinclair wrote:
>>
>>> Thanks for posting, we need to talk about these kind of things....
>>

>> This is an important thread. In reading through the posts, I notice
>> many instances of "I never...", and "I always...." Such absolutism can
>> also produce a dangerous mindset, one from which a mistaken
>> self-assurance can grow. Every time you assemble is a little different
>> from every other. Be alert to the moment and its unique challenges.
>> Avoid following the well worn path of habit.
>>
>> No rush, no rash.
>
> Always remember that never before has a thread contained so much
> absolutely important material.

It's a sly and perceptive devil you are, Robert.

Thanks.

Jack

May 27th 08, 07:37 PM
On May 26, 3:58*pm, Bob Whelan >
wrote:
> Jack wrote:
> > JJ Sinclair wrote:
>
> >> Thanks for posting, we need to talk about these kind of things....
>
> > This is an important thread. In reading through the posts, I notice many
> > instances of "I never...", and "I always...." Such absolutism can also
> > produce a dangerous mindset, one from which a mistaken self-assurance
> > can grow. Every time you assemble is a little different from every
> > other. Be alert to the moment and its unique challenges. Avoid following
> > the well worn path of habit.
>
> > No rush, no rash.
>
> Always remember that never before has a thread contained so much
> absolutely important material.
>
> There may be a simpler, safer ship to rig than a Zuni (1970's American
> 15m design), but I've not yet seen it. *Except for the single main pin,
> everything connects automatically, with no possibility of mis-set flaps
> or ailerons or (all-flying) horizontal stabilizer. *(There are no
> spoilers, and, no loose safety pins.) *Further, the main pin safety is
> built into the ship, in easy reach and plain sight.
>
> God, Himself, would have difficulty rigging a Zuni improperly, while
> only an idiot would never rig a Zuni incompletely.
>
> In fact, I've incompletely-rigged mine only once since 1981. *I
> absolutely meant to never do it. *I've never done it since, and yet,
> maybe 18 or so years after it happened, I still feel like an absolute
> idiot. *I'm darned glad I can, and still do!!!
>
> There I was, whining to my derigging buddy about falling out on a
> rotorish day a mere 2.5 hours after releasing, reached in to unsafety
> the main pin only to discover God had already pre-removed it by an inch
> or so...BECAUSE I'D FORGOTTEN TO ROTATE THE HANDLE INTO POSITION FOR THE
> (NEARLY) AUTOMATIC SAFETY TO SPRING BACK INTO 'HANDLE-CAPTURED/SAFETIED'
> POSITION.
>
> I now have a good idea what heart stoppage feels like.
>
> Kids, however you accomplish it, don't try this on your own!!! *Not even
> if you're a trained professional...
>
> Regards,
> Bob - human perfection is not an option - W.

I did the same mistake with my new ASW 27 few month ago. Both pins
were not secured!! Luckily they did not move at all, maybe my stuffed
luggage compartment, or god, kept them in place. Talking about a heart
stoppage!
In my case it wasn't another person interupting me. It was a wind
gust. The glider was already assembled the prior day, I only needed to
install the batteries, which in the ASW 27 is difficult unless you
rotate the pins out of their safety. Once I installed the batteries a
wind gust forced me to close the canopy, and I never got back to
rotate the pins back to safety! I now install the batteries the hard
way if the glider is already assembled, without rotating the pins.
The moral is that anything can interupt your routine, not just another
person. Just make sure that your routine does not include any traps,
then check and double check the critical assemblies.

Ramy

Wayne Paul
May 27th 08, 08:04 PM
What Bob states below definitely true. Anything that distracts you during
the assembly process is a hazard.

I recently wrote an article for Soaring about an incident that happened
during assembly at Logan, UT. If you missed it, here is a link to the
original draft copy of the article.
(http://www.soaridaho.com/Schreder/Stories/Assembly_Check.pdf)

Wayne
HP-14 "Six Foxtrot"
http://www.soaridaho.com/Schreder

> wrote in message
On May 26, 3:58 pm, Bob Whelan >
wrote:

Snip ..

In my case it wasn't another person interupting me.

Snip...

May 28th 08, 03:54 PM
> I use a written assembly check list, laminated and attached to a
> clipboard. I check off each step with a red grease pencil. *If by
> chance I'm interrupted, I have a written record of the assembly
> progress and know exactly where I left off and what steps remain.
>
> Rich Kiray-

I like this approach. As I've noted here before, I have a written
checklist, two columns of items in various stages from "assembly" to
"grid" to "pre-launch", with a separate section for contest-specific
items (task sheet, retrieve number, etc.). They're organized so I can
start in the wing carrythrough area then move to the instruments then
under the fuselage to the right wing, tail, left wing., etc. I shared
it with ex F-14 Navy pilot Bif Huss in Cordele last week and he had
some good suggestions from his own checklists based on military pilot
practices. I'm waiting to get his consolidated version back.
Checklists are deceptively simple stuff but there are so many things
that have to be attended to before we fly that I haven't trusted my
memory in many years.

During a contest, I actually check each item off: a vertical mark one
day, then a horizontal mark the next, a circle the next, etc. (uses
less paper that way; a laminated card and grease pencil would be
better, but I keep adding to the checklist). Just so I can see at a
glance what I've missed. That gives me the comfort of stopping in the
middle of the sequence to do something else (including chatting) or
skipping past an item knowing I'll see it later and come back to it.
For local flights, I'm more inclined to eyeball each item. Every
glider is different and pilots have different requiremnents, but
here's my list in plain text format. Please post your additions/
comments. It's been a while since we did this on RAS.

Chip Bearden
ASW 24 "JB"
USA

ASSEMBLY ( * Critical Assembly Check)
___ * Main Pins Safetied
___ ELT Armed
___ Main Battery Installed/Checked
___ Tail Battery Installed/Checked
___ Radio Checked
___ LNAV Checked
___ GPS-NAV Installed/Checked
___ Pocket NAV Installed w/ Flash Card
___ Garmin GPS Receiver Installed/Cleared
___ Extra Batteries
___ Altimeter Set
___ Drinking Water Loaded
___ Parachute/Lumbar Cushion In
___ Relief System OK
___ Tire Pressure 35 psi
___ Landing Gear Doors/Springs OK
___ Tow Release Checked
___ Left Wing: Wing Root Taped
___ * Winglet Installed
___ Zig-zag Tape OK
___ Mylar Seals OK
___ Aileron Drive OK
___ Rear Static Ports Clear
___ Multi Probe Installed
___ * Tail Bolt Installed
___ Tail Taped
___ Tail Wheel 35 psi
___ Elevator/Rudder: Mylar Seals OK
___ Zig-zag Tape OK
___ Rudder Cable Attachments OK
___ Right Wing: Zig-zag Tape OK
___ Mylar Seals OK
___ Aileron Drive OK
___ * Winglet Installed
___ Wing Root Taped
___ Wings Washed
___ Fuselage/Tail Washed
___ Canopy Clean
___ Water Ballast Filled/Valves OK
___ Oxygen Bottle Filled/Installed
___ Oxygen Canula Installed

GRID
___ Sunglasses (dark)
___ Sunglasses (light)
___ Glasses
___ Glasses - Reading
___ Map
___ Food
___ External Catheter
___ Cell Phone
___ Hat
___ Wallet Stowed in Cockpit
___ Final Glide Calculator
___ Pencil/Pen
___ Cleaning Cloth
___ Flying Glove
___ Flying Clothes/Boots
___ Landout Jacket Stowed
___ Telephone Coins
___ Tie Down Stakes/Ropes
___ TOST Adapter/Rope
___ Survival Kit & Flashlight

TASK CHECK
___ Task Sheet
___ Turnpoint List
___ Radio Frequencies Stored in Radio Memory
___ Landing Card with Contest Phone Number
___ Map (with course marked)
Pocket NAV
___ Altitude set
___ Task set

PRE TAKEOFF
___ * POSITIVE CONTROL CHECK
___ Tail Dolly Off
___ Radio On
___ LNAV/GPS-NAV On
___ Pocket NAV On
___ Garmin GPS On
___ Wind Direction Checked
___ Air Vents Adjusted
___ Oxygen: Connected/Valve Open

IN COCKPIT
___ Altimeter Set
___ Belts Fastened
___ Cable
___ Controls Checked Positively
___ Canopy Down and Locked
___ Dive Brakes Closed and Locked
(Dive Brakes Out for Takeoff)

_______________________________

LANDOUT
___ GPS-NAV trace transferred
___ LNAV/GPS-NAV/Pocket NAV Off
___ Pocket NAV in pocket
___ Garmin GPS in pocket
___ ELT Off
___ Wallet In Pocket
___ Lat./Long.
___ Retrieve Telephone Number
___ Cell Phone in Pocket
___ Glider Secured
___ Static Ports Taped (loosely!)
___ Multi Probe Stowed/Port Taped
___ Landing Card Filled Out
___ Retrieve Directions
___ REMOVE PROBE/PORT TAPE

TRAILER HOOK UP
___ Wingstands Loaded
___ Top Latched and Safetied
___ Tie Down Ropes Removed
___ Front Door Latched Securely
___ Hitch Locked on 2" (NOT 1 7/8") Ball/Checked
___ Dolly Wheel Stowed
___ Safety Chain Connected
___ Breakaway Wire Connected
___ Lights Connected and Checked
___ HAND BRAKE OFF ! ! !
___ Tires OK
___ Watch Out For Tie Down Stakes !

FreeFlight107[_2_]
May 28th 08, 04:09 PM
I was always taught that if you're interupted in any check list type
of activity to go back to the beginning and start over until you get
to a proper finish. If it is already assembled, you just need to check
that it is complete and correct.

My flying group is a very talkative and helpful group so we often
interupted in assembly or disassembly, so this technique works quite
well.

Also on our 1-26's only the pilot installs and fastens the Turtle deck
so he can check that all 10 pins are installed and locked before
flight.

JayWalker

Google