PDA

View Full Version : L-Nav

Ed Byars
May 28th 08, 07:27 PM
5U:
Do you think we should "unload" an L-Nav? This might be a possible buyer.
This came on RAS today.
ED

Looking for a used L-Nav, preferrably with repeater for two-place
operation. If you're upgrading, please call us and let us know you're
looking for a home for your old unit. Thanks. Fred 775 790-4314 or
Laurie at 775 790-4394. Fred

Fred[_4_]
May 29th 08, 12:55 AM
On May 28, 1:27*pm, "Ed Byars" > wrote:
> 5U:
> Do you think we should "unload" an L-Nav? *This might be a possible buyer.

Ed Byars
May 29th 08, 03:32 AM
Excuse the personaal note to my partner.......getting old...mashed the
wrong button! ED

"Ed Byars" > wrote in message
. ..
> 5U:
> Do you think we should "unload" an L-Nav? This might be a possible buyer.
> This came on RAS today.
> ED
>
> Looking for a used L-Nav, preferrably with repeater for two-place
> operation. If you're upgrading, please call us and let us know you're
> looking for a home for your old unit. Thanks. Fred 775 790-4314 or
> Laurie at 775 790-4394. Fred

May 29th 08, 01:16 PM
On May 28, 10:32*pm, "Ed Byars" > wrote:
> Excuse the personaal note to my partner.......getting old...mashed *the
> wrong button! * *ED

OK to air your thoughts. You raise a good question. I had two scares
with my faithful LNAV in Cordele last week. Both turned out to be
mechanical and were easily fixed (an RJ connector with weak fingers,
and a flexible tube that fell off the connector) but it got me
thinking about whether I should (1) buy a new vario/flight computer
and/or (2) buy a spare LNAV. I love the user interface of the LNAV: I
can jump in the cockpit after a six month layoff as I did in Cordele
and not have to worry about remembering how to use the instrument. The
same is true for Glide Navigator II running on my Compaq Aero 1550.
I'm either stuck in the past or very astutely refusing to fix
something that ain't broke. Anyway, I need a backup, either in the
panel or on the shelf. I'd be interested to hear thoughts on whether I
should just take out a 2nd mortgage and buy a new full-race vario/
computer (with or without ClearNav), or just snap up a good LNAV as a
spare.

I was a loyal Cambridge user since the 1970s because their stuff was
highly reliable and I knew I could always get service quickly. I never
upgraded to the 302 so both were still true until the past few years.
Currently neither the LNAV nor the GPS-NAV Model 20 is supported.
Alternatives I've looked at include the LX1600 and the Borgelt B500.
And of course there's ClearNav coming, which looked very good in Chip
Garner's panel last week.

Chip Bearden
ASW 24 "JB"
USA

Udo
May 29th 08, 03:47 PM
I flew with the L Nav & 20 GPS Nav since 2000 but not with a CAI Nav
display, in both my homebuilt and the ASW24.
I had one incident when the PDA at one contest did not work.
This led me to get a spare 302A with a second PDA, which I should have
had in any case.
( the battery in the PDA was discharged to low and when hooked up to
the GPS Nav the fuse tripped, so I was told)

I now fly with a 302 / PDA and the same 302A /PDA as a backup.
The only reason I have a 302, it came with the glider I fly presently.
I can not see a reason why you want to "update" to a 302.
I liked the L Nav and I would have happily kept on flying with it, if
it would have been in my present glider.

There are new systems coming on line but they are expensive.
I guess I will be squinting my eyes a bit longer at my 1530.
Udo

On May 29, 8:16*am, wrote:
> On May 28, 10:32*pm, "Ed Byars" > wrote:
>
> > Excuse the personaal note to my partner.......getting old...mashed *the
> > wrong button! * *ED
>
> OK to air your thoughts. You raise a good question. I had two scares
> with my faithful LNAV in Cordele last week. Both turned out to be
> mechanical and were easily fixed (an RJ connector with weak fingers,
> and a flexible tube that fell off the connector) but it got me
> thinking about whether I should (1) buy a new vario/flight computer
> and/or (2) buy a spare LNAV. I love the user interface of the LNAV: I
> can jump in the cockpit after a six month layoff as I did in Cordele
> and not have to worry about remembering how to use the instrument. The
> same is true for Glide Navigator II running on my Compaq Aero 1550.
> I'm either stuck in the past or very astutely refusing to fix
> something that ain't broke. Anyway, I need a backup, either in the
> panel or on the shelf. I'd be interested to hear thoughts on whether I
> should just take out a 2nd mortgage and buy a new full-race vario/
> computer (with or without ClearNav), or just snap up a good LNAV as a
> spare.
>
> I was a loyal Cambridge user since the 1970s because their stuff was
> highly reliable and I knew I could always get service quickly. I never
> upgraded to the 302 so both were still true until the past few years.
> Currently neither the LNAV nor the GPS-NAV Model 20 is supported.
> Alternatives I've looked at include the LX1600 and the Borgelt B500.
> And of course there's ClearNav coming, which looked very good in Chip
> Garner's panel last week.
>
> Chip Bearden
> ASW 24 "JB"
> USA

BB
May 29th 08, 04:35 PM
My opinion:

The 302 is a much better variometer than the L NAV. That alone is
worth the upgrade. Clearnav replaces backup GPS and PDA, but you still
need a vario. NK says their next project is a vario to go with
clearnav. Can't wait to see that!

John Cochrane

Paul Remde
May 29th 08, 11:50 PM
Hi Chip,

Support for older Cambridge products (L-NAV and GPS-NAV) is available in the
USA. I'm working with Rick Sheppe (former Cambridge employee and current NK
employee - I think) to support those units. Some parts are still available
from a few sources. Rick can do repairs and recalibrations and re-seals.

Also, I had a customer from Iceland stop by my office today. He said he's
looking to sell his L-NAV and 2nd Seat Repeater. But I imagine they are in
m/s - not knots. I think he also mentioned a GPS-NAV model 10 with a bad
battery. That should be fixable.

Good Soaring,

Paul Remde
Cumulus Soaring, Inc.
http://www.cumulus-soaring.com

> wrote in message
On May 28, 10:32 pm, "Ed Byars" > wrote:
> Excuse the personaal note to my partner.......getting old...mashed the
> wrong button! ED

OK to air your thoughts. You raise a good question. I had two scares
with my faithful LNAV in Cordele last week. Both turned out to be
mechanical and were easily fixed (an RJ connector with weak fingers,
and a flexible tube that fell off the connector) but it got me
thinking about whether I should (1) buy a new vario/flight computer
and/or (2) buy a spare LNAV. I love the user interface of the LNAV: I
can jump in the cockpit after a six month layoff as I did in Cordele
and not have to worry about remembering how to use the instrument. The
same is true for Glide Navigator II running on my Compaq Aero 1550.
I'm either stuck in the past or very astutely refusing to fix
something that ain't broke. Anyway, I need a backup, either in the
panel or on the shelf. I'd be interested to hear thoughts on whether I
should just take out a 2nd mortgage and buy a new full-race vario/
computer (with or without ClearNav), or just snap up a good LNAV as a
spare.

I was a loyal Cambridge user since the 1970s because their stuff was
highly reliable and I knew I could always get service quickly. I never
upgraded to the 302 so both were still true until the past few years.
Currently neither the LNAV nor the GPS-NAV Model 20 is supported.
Alternatives I've looked at include the LX1600 and the Borgelt B500.
And of course there's ClearNav coming, which looked very good in Chip
Garner's panel last week.

Chip Bearden
ASW 24 "JB"
USA

Andy[_1_]
May 30th 08, 08:11 PM
On May 29, 8:35*am, BB > wrote:

> The 302 is a much better variometer than the L NAV. >

That's interesting to me. I had an MVAV in my ASW 19B and have a 302
in the 28. Not knocking the 302 vario but I think the MNAV vario was
hard to beat. I've got used to the 302 now but for a long time I
missed the MNAV. Of course without the GPS interface the MNAV is not
much use any more. I'm just comparing the vario.

Was the LNAV vario a step down from the MNAV?

Andy

BB
May 30th 08, 11:12 PM
I find the Lnav a bit better than the Mnav vario, and the 302 a whole
lot better. It's much faster without picking up too much gust. When I
turn on my backup, it's giving yesterday's news.
John

On May 30, 2:11*pm, Andy > wrote:
> On May 29, 8:35*am, BB > wrote:
>
> > The 302 is a much better variometer than the L NAV. >
>
> That's interesting to me. *I had an MVAV in my ASW 19B and have a 302
> in the 28. *Not knocking the 302 vario but I think the MNAV vario was
> hard to beat. *I've got used to the 302 now but for a long time I
> missed the MNAV. *Of course without the GPS interface the MNAV is not
> much use any more. *I'm just comparing the vario.
>
> Was the LNAV vario a step down from the MNAV?
>
> Andy

Andy[_1_]
May 31st 08, 03:38 PM
On May 30, 3:12*pm, BB > wrote:
> I find the Lnav a bit better than the Mnav vario, and the 302 a whole
> lot better. It's much faster without picking up too much gust. When I
> turn on my backup, it's giving yesterday's news.

What time constant settings do you use for audio and vario? I think
mine's set for 1.7 and 2.3 which seems to match the B40 fairly
well.

Andy

Google