PDA

View Full Version : Looking for Janus C polar and flap settings

Jonas Eberle
June 9th 08, 11:26 AM
Hi fellows,

I am eagerly looking for a Janus C (20m) polar, including flap
settings. Unfortunately the polar is not included in the Schempp Hirth
documents.
What I found is this Excel spreadsheet with various polar datae:
[users.ox.ac.uk/~gliding/docs/Polar Comparison Chart.xls]. But it
seems like a Janus B as its L/D is 38.

I think the Janus C (20m) has been measured by Idaflieg in 1997 as
indicated here: [http://www.mrueb.de/jahresberichte/jb97/sotre.html]
Maybe someone here has the data?

It would be nice if some Janus-Pro's could help me out, also with
comments on the following:

From our personal experience we fly the following flap settings at
unaccelerated straight flight [35kg/mē = 600kg, which is a double
seated Janus CT]:
0°: -125km/h
-4°: 125-150km/h
-7°: 150-
best glide speed: 110km/h at flaps 0°

Janus must be a powerful glider in the right hands, but I am still
working on the right style with this ship.

Jonas Eberle
June 11th 08, 10:59 AM
Thanks a lot to James Wynhoff and Bill T for helping out!

Jonas Eberle
June 16th 08, 12:34 PM
On 11 Jun., 11:59, Jonas Eberle > wrote:
> Thanks a lot to James Wynhoff and Bill T for helping out!

I have marked it in colors, added 35kp/mē and uploaded it here:
http://flightvision.is.dreaming.org/soaring/JanusCPolar.png

Best regards

Google