PDA

View Full Version : Any Known East Coast USA GPS Problems?

jcarlyle
June 9th 08, 04:06 PM
Back in Jan 2008 there was a thread about GPS interference testing,
specifically near China Lake. The last several weeks I've experienced
(near Philadelphia) a lot of "GPS Wait" messages from my Cambridge Gps-
Nav. At least 3 other pilots at Philadelphia Glider Council have also
reported having problems with their GPS systems.

In my case I redesigned my instrument panel from last year, so my GPS
antenna is in a slightly different position than it has been the last
2 years. Still, it's right up top, has a clear view of the sky, and
isn't next to metal. It's not clear what might be happening with my 3
fellow pilots - could be we're talking about different GPS issues.

Has anyone else on RAS seem a GPS availability problem in the last 3
weeks or so in the Eastern USA? I see from the link
http://www.navcen.uscg.gov/gps/gpsnotices/GPS_Interference.pdf that
there is ongoing interference testing near Pawtuxet River, MD, but as
this is 150 miles away from where I fly, I don't think this would be
the cause. Any ideas?

-John

June 9th 08, 05:06 PM
John
I had similar problems while flying in The Pacific Northwest. There is
a number of distinct spikes in the trace because of lost GPS signal
from the satellite. It happened couple of weeks ago.

Robert, OR

On Jun 9, 8:06*am, jcarlyle > wrote:
The last several weeks I've experienced (near Philadelphia) a lot of
"GPS Wait" messages from my Cambridge Gps- Nav. At least 3 other
pilots at Philadelphia Glider Council have also reported having
problems with their GPS systems.
> -John

JS
June 9th 08, 06:04 PM
http://www.navcen.uscg.gov/gps/status_and_outage_info.htm

Click on GPS Testing Notices. It opens a pdf file.
Pawtuxet is one of several sites doing this useful service. As are
China Lake, Fallon, Nellis, White Sands...
Jim

jcarlyle
June 9th 08, 07:01 PM
Robert, thanks. That's about the time frame most of us near
Philadelphia saw the problems, too. However, I saw it last Tuesday, as
well.

Jim, that's the site I cited and is how I know Pawtuxet River was
doing GPS interference. I cited it because while I thought Pawtuxet
was too far from me for concern, I didn't know if it really could
interfere with my signal reception. They cite a 35 nm radius around
Pawtuxet. Not sure I agree with you that it's useful, since it caused
me and others problems on a good soaring day...

-John

On Jun 9, 12:06 pm, wrote:
> John
> I had similar problems while flying in The Pacific Northwest. There is
> a number of distinct spikes in the trace because of lost GPS signal
> from the satellite. It happened couple of weeks ago.
>
> Robert, OR
>
> On Jun 9, 1:04 pm, JS > wrote:
> Click on GPS Testing Notices. It opens a pdf file.
> Pawtuxet is one of several sites doing this useful service. As are
> China Lake, Fallon, Nellis, White Sands...
> Jim

JS
June 9th 08, 08:17 PM
On Jun 9, 6:01 pm, jcarlyle > wrote:
> Jim,
..... Not sure I agree with you that it's useful, since it caused
> me and others problems on a good soaring day...
> -John

Last year's jamming out of China Lake didn't seem to be hurting
people near Minden, while I had dead spots further South. Mountains
can get in the way. The Appalachians would only have done that in past
eons.
It's interesting to view the jammed log in SeeYou or similar
afterwards. The glider goes up and down like a helicopter in one
place, then shoots to the position at the end of the jam at Mach.
Pressure altitude is always recorded, but it's unfortunate if your
turn point is rounded during a useful blackout test. Get out the old
cameras!
Apologies: There will always be an exception, but my praise for
authorities is best taken as sarcasm!
Jim

user
June 11th 08, 03:55 AM
They spoof at P40/Site R from time to time.

"jcarlyle" > wrote in message
> Back in Jan 2008 there was a thread about GPS interference testing,
> specifically near China Lake. The last several weeks I've experienced
> (near Philadelphia) a lot of "GPS Wait" messages from my Cambridge Gps-
> Nav. At least 3 other pilots at Philadelphia Glider Council have also
> reported having problems with their GPS systems.
>
> In my case I redesigned my instrument panel from last year, so my GPS
> antenna is in a slightly different position than it has been the last
> 2 years. Still, it's right up top, has a clear view of the sky, and
> isn't next to metal. It's not clear what might be happening with my 3
> fellow pilots - could be we're talking about different GPS issues.
>
> Has anyone else on RAS seem a GPS availability problem in the last 3
> weeks or so in the Eastern USA? I see from the link
> http://www.navcen.uscg.gov/gps/gpsnotices/GPS_Interference.pdf that
> there is ongoing interference testing near Pawtuxet River, MD, but as
> this is 150 miles away from where I fly, I don't think this would be
> the cause. Any ideas?
>
> -John

jcarlyle
June 11th 08, 01:26 PM
Thanks, Useer. I don't know this location, though, and couldn't find
it with a Google search. What is its real name, or where roughly is it
located?

user wrote:
> They spoof at P40/Site R from time to time.

June 11th 08, 01:49 PM
jcarlyle wrote:
What is its real name, or where roughly is it
> located?

Catoctin Mountain Park, Maryland

Papa3
June 12th 08, 04:17 AM
On Jun 11, 8:49*am, R > wrote:
> jcarlyle wrote:
>
> * What is its real name, or where roughly is it> located?
>
> Catoctin Mountain Park, Maryland

AKA Camp David.

jcarlyle
June 12th 08, 01:43 PM
Thanks, User, R and Papa3. It makes sense that they would sometimes
interfere with the GPS singal at Camp David! I find that it lies some
80-100 nm from where I've been experiencing the loss of GPS signal, so
perhaps it may be the source of my problem. On the other hand, since
other East Coast pilots aren't chiming in to report any recent GPS
problems, it may simply be a problem with my electronics!

-John

Papa3 wrote:
> On Jun 11, 8:49�am, R > wrote:
> > jcarlyle wrote:
> >
> > � What is its real name, or where roughly is it> located?
> >
> > Catoctin Mountain Park, Maryland
>
> AKA Camp David.

Google