PDA

View Full Version : BFR?

Scott[_7_]
June 9th 08, 07:07 PM
Here's a question. I'm a private pilot, ASEL. If I get my glider
rating, will I have to do a separate BFR for each (powered and glider)?
If not, is would it just be a matter of currency (3 takeoffs and
landing within past 90 days if I want to take passengers)?

Scott

Wayne Paul
June 9th 08, 07:50 PM
Scott,

I'm not a CFI; however, I believe the answer to the first question is "no"
and the second question is "yes."

Wayne

"Scott" > wrote in message
.. .
> Here's a question. I'm a private pilot, ASEL. If I get my glider rating,
> will I have to do a separate BFR for each (powered and glider)? If not, is
> would it just be a matter of currency (3 takeoffs and landing within past
> 90 days if I want to take passengers)?
>
> Scott

sisu1a
June 9th 08, 08:04 PM
On Jun 9, 11:50 am, "Wayne Paul" > wrote:
> Scott,
>
> I'm not a CFI; however, I believe the answer to the first question is "no"
> and the second question is "yes."
>
> Wayne
>
> "Scott" > wrote in message
>
> .. .
>
> > Here's a question. I'm a private pilot, ASEL. If I get my glider rating,
> > will I have to do a separate BFR for each (powered and glider)? If not, is
> > would it just be a matter of currency (3 takeoffs and landing within past
> > 90 days if I want to take passengers)?
>
> > Scott

Getting your glider add on COUNTS as a BFR though of course...

Paul

Todd
June 9th 08, 08:11 PM
I am a CFI. The definitive answer is that a Flight Review
(14CFR61.56) is not tied to Category, Class or Type so do it once
every 24 months (in an aircraft...note rule does not require a rating
in the category or class) and you are set to go in anything you fly.

Flight Currency (14CFR61.57) is another matter. 3 takeoffs and
landings within past 90 in Category, Class and Type is required to
carry passengers.

On-line FAR's available here:
http://www.access.gpo.gov/cgi-bin/cfrassemble.cgi?title=200547

Nyal Williams[_2_]
June 9th 08, 08:13 PM
Any BFR covers the requirement for any class or category in which you have
a license. Currency requirements apply.

At 18:07 09 June 2008, Scott wrote:
>Here's a question. I'm a private pilot, ASEL. If I get my glider
>rating, will I have to do a separate BFR for each (powered and glider)?
> If not, is would it just be a matter of currency (3 takeoffs and
>landing within past 90 days if I want to take passengers)?
>
>Scott

Scott[_7_]
June 9th 08, 10:37 PM
sisu1a wrote:
> On Jun 9, 11:50 am, "Wayne Paul" > wrote:
>
>>Scott,
>>
>>I'm not a CFI; however, I believe the answer to the first question is "no"
>>and the second question is "yes."
>>
>>Wayne
>>
>>"Scott" > wrote in message

.. .

>>>Here's a question. I'm a private pilot, ASEL. If I get my glider rating,
>>>will I have to do a separate BFR for each (powered and glider)? If not, is
>>>would it just be a matter of currency (3 takeoffs and landing within past
>>>90 days if I want to take passengers)?
>>
>>>Scott
>

> Getting your glider add on COUNTS as a BFR though of course...
>
> Paul
Yes, that's good for the first time, but what about subsequent BFRs?

Scott

Vaughn Simon
June 9th 08, 11:01 PM
"Scott" > wrote in message
.. .
> Yes, that's good for the first time, but what about subsequent BFRs?

Yes, you cn take all of your future BFR's in the Category, Class or Type
aircraft of your choice. "One size fits all".

That said, I worked in a commercial glider operation for a few years and I
can tell you that we actively discouraged giving BFRs to any power pilots who
were not also frequent glider pilots, particularly those who expressed a desire
to take a glider BFR because it was "easier".

Vaughn

cfinn
June 9th 08, 11:01 PM
Subsequent flight reviews may be done in any aircraft that you are
qualified for, however the practical requirements are different. For a
glider you may substitute three flights in lieu of the one hour
requirement. There is also a requirement for one hour of ground
instruction. The review must be given by a CFI, DPE, or FAA inspector.
Here's a short blurb that describes the requirements:

Requirements Of FAR §61.56

FAR §61.56(a) states that a flight review consists of a minimum of one
hour of flight training and one hour of ground training. However,
glider pilots may substitute a minimum of three instructional flights
in a glider, each of which includes a flight to traffic pattern
altitude, in lieu of the one hour of flight training.

The training must include a review of the current general operating
and flight rules of FAR Part 91 and a review of those maneuvers and
procedures that are necessary for the pilot to demonstrate the safe
exercise of the privileges of the pilot certificate. The authorized
instructor giving the flight review has the discretion to determine
exactly what maneuvers and procedures are included in the flight
review.

FAR §61.56(c) goes on to say that the flight review must have been
accomplished within the twenty-four calendar months preceding the
month in which a pilot acts as pilot in command in an aircraft for
which that pilot is rated. The authorized instructor must also endorse
the pilot's logbook certifying that the pilot has satisfactorily
completed the flight review. A pilot's demonstration of competency in
any aircraft satisfies the requirements for all other categories or
classes of aircraft for which the pilot is rated.

If a pilot performing a flight review with an authorized instructor is
denied a satisfactory endorsement for flight review, the pilot may
continue to exercise certificate privileges provided the twenty-four
month period has not elapsed since the last flight review. However, if
a pilot performs a flight review with an FAA inspector and does not
receive a satisfactory endorsement, the pilot would not be able to
exercise the certificate privileges until successfully completing a re-
examination practical test under 49 USC 44709 (the "709 re-
examination" formerly called the "609 re-examination").

BT
June 10th 08, 05:27 AM
Completing the Glider additional rating with a checkride from either the FAA
or an FAA Rep, (DPE) will count as a Flight Review and covers all ratings
you may have.
Subsequent Flight Reviews may be completed in any aircraft you are qualified
for and it's good for all aircraft. Most instructors (and FSDO) suggest that
the Flight Review be completed in the most complex aircraft you fly. But
there is no legal requirement to do so.

90 day currency for carry of passengers, must be completed in "category and
class", so 3 landings in the last 90 days in ASEL and 1 landing in the last
90 days in gliders.. you can carry pax in the airplane but not the glider..
you need two more glider flights to carry pax in gliders.

BT

"Scott" > wrote in message
.. .
> Here's a question. I'm a private pilot, ASEL. If I get my glider rating,
> will I have to do a separate BFR for each (powered and glider)? If not, is
> would it just be a matter of currency (3 takeoffs and landing within past
> 90 days if I want to take passengers)?
>
> Scott

jb92563
June 10th 08, 03:37 PM
Here is another spin on the BFR question:

If I get a Self Launch endorsement in my log book for my glider
rating, is that
considered a flight review for the purposes of the BFR requirements?

In other words can I substitute a Self Launch Endorsement for a
regular BFR?

Ray

Nyal Williams[_2_]
June 10th 08, 04:43 PM
Intuitively and without looking at the regs (in other words, a blind
guess):

A new rating in another class/category requires the issuance of a new
certificate and presumes instruction to a specific level of competence and
examination to demonstrate that, so no BFR is required. This is a new
beginning.

The BFR is a formalized procedure requiring both flight and ground
instruction. A Self Launch endorsement does not rise to the level of
either of the above, so it would not count.

At 14:37 10 June 2008, jb92563 wrote:
>Here is another spin on the BFR question:
>
>If I get a Self Launch endorsement in my log book for my glider
>rating, is that
>considered a flight review for the purposes of the BFR requirements?
>
>In other words can I substitute a Self Launch Endorsement for a
>regular BFR?
>
>Ray

cfinn
June 10th 08, 06:55 PM
At the discretion of the instructor, the flight and ground instruction
could count toward the Flight Review. However, sperate sign off
entries would need to be made in your log book.

On Jun 10, 11:43*am, Nyal Williams > wrote:
> Intuitively and without looking at the regs (in other words, a blind
> guess): *
>
> A new rating in another class/category requires the issuance of a new
> certificate and presumes instruction to a specific level of competence and
> examination to demonstrate that, so no BFR is required. *This is a new
> beginning.
>
> The BFR is a formalized procedure requiring both flight and ground
> instruction. *A Self Launch endorsement does not rise to the level of
> either of the above, so it would not count.
>
> At 14:37 10 June 2008, jb92563 wrote:
>

> >Here is another spin on the BFR question:
>
> >If I get a Self Launch endorsement in my log book for my glider
> >rating, is that
> >considered a flight review for the purposes of the BFR requirements?
>
> >In other words can I substitute a Self Launch Endorsement for a
> >regular BFR?
>
> >Ray- Hide quoted text -

Nyal Williams[_2_]
June 10th 08, 07:43 PM
Absolutely; can be a part of it.

At 17:55 10 June 2008, cfinn wrote:
>At the discretion of the instructor, the flight and ground instruction
>could count toward the Flight Review. However, sperate sign off
>entries would need to be made in your log book.
>

>On Jun 10, 11:43=A0am, Nyal Williams wrote:
>> Intuitively and without looking at the regs (in other words, a blind
>> guess): =A0
>>
>> A new rating in another class/category requires the issuance of a new
>> certificate and presumes instruction to a specific level of competence
>and=
>
>> examination to demonstrate that, so no BFR is required. =A0This is a
new
>> beginning.
>>
>> The BFR is a formalized procedure requiring both flight and ground
>> instruction. =A0A Self Launch endorsement does not rise to the level
of
>> either of the above, so it would not count.
>>
>> At 14:37 10 June 2008, jb92563 wrote:
>>

>> >Here is another spin on the BFR question:
>>
>> >If I get a Self Launch endorsement in my log book for my glider
>> >rating, is that
>> >considered a flight review for the purposes of the BFR requirements?
>>
>> >In other words can I substitute a Self Launch Endorsement for a
>> >regular BFR?
>>
>> >Ray- Hide quoted text -

BT
June 10th 08, 11:56 PM
only if the instructor signing off the endorsement also adds the words
flight review IAF 61.56
"jb92563" > wrote in message
> Here is another spin on the BFR question:
>
> If I get a Self Launch endorsement in my log book for my glider
> rating, is that
> considered a flight review for the purposes of the BFR requirements?
>
> In other words can I substitute a Self Launch Endorsement for a
> regular BFR?
>
> Ray

BT
June 10th 08, 11:57 PM
a new rating is not required in the US for a new launch method of a glider
of which there are 3 types.
that used to be the case but the rules were changed years ago.

"Nyal Williams" > wrote in message
> Intuitively and without looking at the regs (in other words, a blind
> guess):
>
> A new rating in another class/category requires the issuance of a new
> certificate and presumes instruction to a specific level of competence and
> examination to demonstrate that, so no BFR is required. This is a new
> beginning.
>
> The BFR is a formalized procedure requiring both flight and ground
> instruction. A Self Launch endorsement does not rise to the level of
> either of the above, so it would not count.
>

> At 14:37 10 June 2008, jb92563 wrote:
>>Here is another spin on the BFR question:
>>
>>If I get a Self Launch endorsement in my log book for my glider
>>rating, is that
>>considered a flight review for the purposes of the BFR requirements?
>>
>>In other words can I substitute a Self Launch Endorsement for a
>>regular BFR?
>>
>>Ray

Tony Verhulst
June 11th 08, 12:08 AM
Nyal Williams wrote:
> Absolutely; can be a part of it.

Right, *can* be, but *is* not.

Tony V. CFIG

> At 17:55 10 June 2008, cfinn wrote:
>> At the discretion of the instructor, the flight and ground instruction
>> could count toward the Flight Review. However, sperate sign off
>> entries would need to be made in your log book.

Nyal Williams[_2_]
June 11th 08, 03:43 AM
To be absolutely clear, NO. The self launch endorsement is not by itself
a BFR. At his discretion the instructor who gives you this endorsement
can make it a part of a BFR, but the BFR must included other things as
well.

At 22:56 10 June 2008, BT wrote:
>only if the instructor signing off the endorsement also adds the words
>flight review IAF 61.56
>"jb92563" wrote in message
>> Here is another spin on the BFR question:
>>
>> If I get a Self Launch endorsement in my log book for my glider
>> rating, is that
>> considered a flight review for the purposes of the BFR requirements?
>>
>> In other words can I substitute a Self Launch Endorsement for a
>> regular BFR?
>>
>> Ray

BT
June 11th 08, 05:15 AM
yes.. Nylan.. agreed...
I miss read and then re read your previous post and realized that was the
intent of your post.

BT

"Nyal Williams" > wrote in message
> To be absolutely clear, NO. The self launch endorsement is not by itself
> a BFR. At his discretion the instructor who gives you this endorsement
> can make it a part of a BFR, but the BFR must included other things as
> well.
>
> At 22:56 10 June 2008, BT wrote:
>>only if the instructor signing off the endorsement also adds the words
>>flight review IAF 61.56
>>"jb92563" wrote in message
>>> Here is another spin on the BFR question:
>>>
>>> If I get a Self Launch endorsement in my log book for my glider
>>> rating, is that
>>> considered a flight review for the purposes of the BFR requirements?
>>>
>>> In other words can I substitute a Self Launch Endorsement for a
>>> regular BFR?
>>>
>>> Ray

Google