PDA

View Full Version : Towing with a Husky

BDS[_2_]
June 10th 08, 02:44 PM
Our club has a Husky on leaseback as one of our tow planes.

In order to keep the temps within desired limits on the Husky (I think they
shoot for 425 cht max) we have to tow at higher speeds than would be typical
for say, a Pawnee. This isn't necessarily a problem for glass ships but it
is for our 2-33s which we end up towing at speeds as high as 80-90 mph.

Does this seem typical for those of you who might also be using a Husky as a
tow plane? If not, what speeds are you able to tow a 2-33 at and what temps
are you typically seeing?

Thanks.

BDS

sisu1a
June 10th 08, 03:19 PM
On Jun 10, 6:44 am, "BDS" > wrote:
> Our club has a Husky on leaseback as one of our tow planes.
>
> In order to keep the temps within desired limits on the Husky (I think they
> shoot for 425 cht max) we have to tow at higher speeds than would be typical
> for say, a Pawnee. This isn't necessarily a problem for glass ships but it
> is for our 2-33s which we end up towing at speeds as high as 80-90 mph.
>
> Does this seem typical for those of you who might also be using a Husky as a
> tow plane? If not, what speeds are you able to tow a 2-33 at and what temps
> are you typically seeing?
>
> Thanks.
>
> BDS

At our club we use a C 150 with a 180hp motor, and have the sane
problem. The 180/150 is so tightly cowled it also has to tow the
club's 2-33 at 80-90mph as well( try boxing the wake at those
speeds...). However, we sometimes have a fellow that brings in a Husky
to tow, and behind him a 2-33 can tool along at a much more tame
50-60mph. Field elevation is only 790', so our density altitudes are
not very high. Under those conditions the Husky seems to work just
fine other than kicking up a giant dustball to fly through (IFR
takeoff- I Follow Rope) on our dirt airfield due to being a
taildragger.

Paul

Darryl Ramm
June 10th 08, 05:11 PM
On Jun 10, 6:44 am, "BDS" > wrote:
> Our club has a Husky on leaseback as one of our tow planes.
>
> In order to keep the temps within desired limits on the Husky (I think they
> shoot for 425 cht max) we have to tow at higher speeds than would be typical
> for say, a Pawnee. This isn't necessarily a problem for glass ships but it
> is for our 2-33s which we end up towing at speeds as high as 80-90 mph.
>
> Does this seem typical for those of you who might also be using a Husky as a
> tow plane? If not, what speeds are you able to tow a 2-33 at and what temps
> are you typically seeing?
>
> Thanks.
>
> BDS

BTW just by way of comment, there is a "cooling lip" option on current
Husky's that claims to reduce CHT's 10-15F.

Darryl

Andy[_1_]
June 11th 08, 08:16 PM
> Does this seem typical for those of you who might also be using a Husky as a
> tow plane? *If not, what speeds are you able to tow a 2-33 at and what temps
> are you typically seeing?

Sorry no time on the front of the rope with a Husky, lots of tows on
the other end and also flying one without the rope.

Bob Lynn has years of experience towing with 180 and more recently the
200 hp Husky. He's a regular tow pilot at SW USA contests. He may be
able to advise you. http://lynn.org/

Do you run full takeoff power for the whole tow or reduce power?

Andy

BDS[_2_]
June 11th 08, 08:45 PM
Thanks for the replies thus far. In answer to your question, I was told
they are running at full power and full forward on the prop for the entire
tow.

I have sent an email to Bob to see what he has to say as well.

BDS

"Andy" > wrote...
> Does this seem typical for those of you who might also be using a Husky as
> tow plane? If not, what speeds are you able to tow a 2-33 at and what
temps
> are you typically seeing?

Sorry no time on the front of the rope with a Husky, lots of tows on
the other end and also flying one without the rope.

Bob Lynn has years of experience towing with 180 and more recently the
200 hp Husky. He's a regular tow pilot at SW USA contests. He may be
able to advise you. http://lynn.org/

Do you run full takeoff power for the whole tow or reduce power?

Andy

Google