PDA

View Full Version : Re: Mechanics of Elevator Trim. In Detail.

Gezellig
June 11th 08, 11:31 PM
On Tue, 10 Jun 2008 11:24:39 -0700 (PDT), Tina wrote:

> Thanks again. My intelligent but ignorant guess

????

> is designing canards
> so that they stall first should not take a genius, but there may be
> traps I don't see. The world is safe, though, since I don't design
> airplane.
>
> The landing issue you raised is pretty neat, since most of us --
> especially Mooney drivers -- are careful about airspeed on final and
> in the flare, and like to land with the wings almost stalled. But in
> the case of a canard if that stalls first I think the airplane would
> very enthusiastically want to pitch forward hard enough to bend the
> nosewheel!

Basically you want to set up your speeds so the main gear touches before
the canard stalls in a fully flying condition about 85/90 kts. This
gives a wide margin before the canard stalls and reduces the sensitivity
to Xwinds. Easier than a full-stall landing; all control surfaces are
fully functional plne is highly maneuverable all the way to the ground.

> At least with the stabilizer still flying the nose might be able to be
> put down more gently. You've provided some nice insights, thanks.

Thx. lol

Google