PDA

View Full Version : Soaring programs and Vista?

Kevin Anderson
June 19th 08, 07:40 PM
Have things gotten better with Vista now with the older soaring programs, or
are there still major problems?

Specifically See You, Winpilot, LX Navigation for colibri??

My computer is getting old, but I am not sure if it is safe to replace it
yet, if it will kill these programs.

Thanks
Kevin 192

Darryl Ramm
June 19th 08, 09:21 PM
On Jun 19, 11:40*am, "Kevin Anderson" >
wrote:
> Have things gotten better with Vista now with the older soaring programs, or
> are there still major problems?
>
> Specifically See You, * Winpilot, LX Navigation for colibri??
>
> My computer is getting old, but I am not sure if it is safe to replace it
> yet, if it will kill these programs.
>
> Thanks
> Kevin 192

If you want to avoid Vista you can always buy a PC with a Windows
Vista Business or Ultimate edition license and use the downgrade
rights to run Windows XP - either have the OEM install it or install
it yourself from media you already have (it won't come with Windows XP
install media). You can find information on most OEM sites about
these offerings if you search for "downgrade". Personally reinstalling
a clean OS from scratch is often faster and cleaner than trying to
remove all the crapware that many OEMs burden their systems with. You
can also currently still purchase a retail or system builder version
of Windows XP (e.g. from Amazon.com). If you are into PC gaming etc.
then there might be good reasons to go to Vista.

For me the hassle of going to Vista is just not worth it, I only use
Windows XP for SeeYou and ActiveSync to my iPAQ PDAs and a few other
applications. Everything else is on a Mac OS/X. And the Windows XP I
do use runs under VMware Fusion on the Mac (3D graphics in SeeYou are
unaccellerated but usable on a fast Mac).

Darryl

noel.wade
June 19th 08, 11:04 PM
On Jun 19, 1:21*pm, Darryl Ramm > wrote:

> For me the hassle of going to Vista is just not worth it, I only use
> Windows XP for SeeYou and ActiveSync to my iPAQ PDAs and a few other
> applications. Everything else is on a Mac OS/X. And the Windows XP I
> do use runs under VMware Fusion on the Mac (3D graphics in SeeYou are
> unaccellerated but usable on a fast Mac).

As an IT professional, I share Darryl's thoughts on Vista. Its got a
couple of nice features and they made simple processes easier for non-
technical people... But they also made a lot of the configuration and
control stuff harder, and buried it deeper in the UI. Vista is not
universally "better" than XP in any way, and in fact the extra
overhead to run the fancy-looking displays tends to make some programs
run slower than they do under XP.

The graphics are more advanced in Vista, and in the next couple of
years we'll see Vista being more advantageous to run - but right now
there's no compelling reason IMHO. I know (living near Microsoft HQ)
that response to Vista has been cool (not as bad as the Mac
commercials make it out to be, of course). Word on the street is that
MS is going to abandon any long-term plans for Vista and start working
on the next OS version right away...

I run a Mac laptop most of the time these days, and I use Parallels or
BootCamp to run Windows XP. I'll probably shift to VMWare Fusion here
soon. Both Parallels and VMWare Fusion work GREAT for running
standard Windows programs (like Word, Excel, etc).... As Darryl says,
gaming and 3d graphics are the only place where it tends to slow down
or have problems.

--Noel
P.S. Before anyone accuses me of being an Apple fanboy: I have a PC
for development work, and I administer a network of nearly 100 PCs
(and only 15 Macs)... :-)

Ramy
June 20th 08, 02:45 AM
On Jun 19, 3:04*pm, "noel.wade" > wrote:
> On Jun 19, 1:21*pm, Darryl Ramm > wrote:
>
> > For me the hassle of going to Vista is just not worth it, I only use
> > Windows XP for SeeYou and ActiveSync to my iPAQ PDAs and a few other
> > applications. Everything else is on a Mac OS/X. And the Windows XP I
> > do use runs under VMware Fusion on the Mac (3D graphics in SeeYou are
> > unaccellerated but usable on a fast Mac).
>
> As an IT professional, I share Darryl's thoughts on Vista. *Its got a
> couple of nice features and they made simple processes easier for non-
> technical people... *But they also made a lot of the configuration and
> control stuff harder, and buried it deeper in the UI. Vista is not
> universally "better" than XP in any way, and in fact the extra
> overhead to run the fancy-looking displays tends to make some programs
> run slower than they do under XP.
>
> The graphics are more advanced in Vista, and in the next couple of
> years we'll see Vista being more advantageous to run - but right now
> there's no compelling reason IMHO. *I know (living near Microsoft HQ)
> that response to Vista has been cool (not as bad as the Mac
> commercials make it out to be, of course). *Word on the street is that
> MS is going to abandon any long-term plans for Vista and start working
> on the next OS version right away...
>
> I run a Mac laptop most of the time these days, and I use Parallels or
> BootCamp to run Windows XP. *I'll probably shift to VMWare Fusion here
> soon. *Both Parallels and VMWare Fusion work GREAT for running
> standard Windows programs (like Word, Excel, etc).... *As Darryl says,
> gaming and 3d graphics are the only place where it tends to slow down
> or have problems.
>
> --Noel
> P.S. *Before anyone accuses me of being an Apple fanboy: I have a PC
> for development work, and I administer a network of nearly 100 PCs
> (and only 15 Macs)... :-)

SeeYou is running fine on my Vista. Not that I don't have issues with
Vista, but not with my soaring software (Seeyou, google earth, igc
player) which are all working fine.

Ramy

June 20th 08, 02:54 AM
On Jun 19, 6:45 pm, Ramy > wrote:
> On Jun 19, 3:04 pm, "noel.wade" > wrote:
>

> > On Jun 19, 1:21 pm, Darryl Ramm > wrote:
>
> > > For me the hassle of going to Vista is just not worth it, I only use
> > > Windows XP for SeeYou and ActiveSync to my iPAQ PDAs and a few other
> > > applications. Everything else is on a Mac OS/X. And the Windows XP I
> > > do use runs under VMware Fusion on the Mac (3D graphics in SeeYou are
> > > unaccellerated but usable on a fast Mac).
>
> > As an IT professional, I share Darryl's thoughts on Vista. Its got a
> > couple of nice features and they made simple processes easier for non-
> > technical people... But they also made a lot of the configuration and
> > control stuff harder, and buried it deeper in the UI. Vista is not
> > universally "better" than XP in any way, and in fact the extra
> > overhead to run the fancy-looking displays tends to make some programs
> > run slower than they do under XP.
>
> > The graphics are more advanced in Vista, and in the next couple of
> > years we'll see Vista being more advantageous to run - but right now
> > there's no compelling reason IMHO. I know (living near Microsoft HQ)
> > that response to Vista has been cool (not as bad as the Mac
> > commercials make it out to be, of course). Word on the street is that
> > MS is going to abandon any long-term plans for Vista and start working
> > on the next OS version right away...
>
> > I run a Mac laptop most of the time these days, and I use Parallels or
> > BootCamp to run Windows XP. I'll probably shift to VMWare Fusion here
> > soon. Both Parallels and VMWare Fusion work GREAT for running
> > standard Windows programs (like Word, Excel, etc).... As Darryl says,
> > gaming and 3d graphics are the only place where it tends to slow down
> > or have problems.
>
> > --Noel
> > P.S. Before anyone accuses me of being an Apple fanboy: I have a PC
> > for development work, and I administer a network of nearly 100 PCs
> > (and only 15 Macs)... :-)
>
> SeeYou is running fine on my Vista. Not that I don't have issues with
> Vista, but not with my soaring software (Seeyou, google earth, igc
> player) which are all working fine.
>
> Ramy

I can run winpilot and SeeYou and other soaring programs on Vista, no
problem.

Alexander Johnson
June 20th 08, 04:58 PM
At 01:54 20 June 2008, wrote:
>On Jun 19, 6:45 pm, Ramy wrote:
>> On Jun 19, 3:04 pm, "noel.wade" wrote:

As an IT professional (I run my own Company and employ several people) I
share some of the views already expressed about Vista but I run Winpilot
V8 Adv, igc flight sim, Condor and sync with my IPAC using Windows Mobile
Device Centre without problems. There is no need to avoid it.
By the way: MS are already well advanced with Vista replacement OS!

Doug Cline
June 20th 08, 05:47 PM
"Alexander Johnson" > wrote in
message ...
> At 01:54 20 June 2008, wrote:
>>On Jun 19, 6:45 pm, Ramy wrote:
>>> On Jun 19, 3:04 pm, "noel.wade" wrote:
>>>

> As an IT professional (I run my own Company and employ several people) I
> share some of the views already expressed about Vista but I run Winpilot
> V8 Adv, igc flight sim, Condor and sync with my IPAC using Windows Mobile
> Device Centre without problems. There is no need to avoid it.
> By the way: MS are already well advanced with Vista replacement OS!

During the past 15 months I have used Vista Business with various soaring
programs including Winpilot3D, Seeyou, Condor, GlidePlan, with only one
problem. This problem was about three months ago Condor stopped functioning
under Vista. This was easily solved by running Condor in Windows XP Service
pack 2 compatibility mode that is built into Vista. I did not notice any
slowing down running Condor under compatibility mode.
Doug Cline

Google