PDA

View Full Version : Post dunking avionics - was Sugarbush

bumper
June 23rd 08, 04:08 PM
I hadn't heard of vacuum drying electronics after water submersion -
interesting - hadn't thought of that.

With any electronic device that gets water dunked, it's important to remove
batteries as soon as possible. This will help prevent corrosion due to
electrolysis of circuit board traces and components. Then submerge the
device in distilled water (insulator) to rinse out and dilute as much of the
mineral laden water (conductor) as possible - - then dry.

Options for drying might be putting item on open oven door with oven on low,
or putting item in sun etc. Don't overheat and don't power-up the item until
totally dry.

bumper
zz
Minden NV

Vaughn Simon
June 25th 08, 10:14 PM
"bumper" > wrote in message

> Options for drying might be putting item on open oven door with oven on low,
> or putting item in sun etc. Don't overheat and don't power-up the item until
> totally dry.

In general, water does not harm electronics. Unfortunately, electrolysis
will ruin expensive electronics gadgets in short order. Electrolysis happens
inside wet electronic circuitry that has any source of power connected.

I ran a police radio shop for several years. The ONE determining factor for
survival of a radio after a dunking is timely removal of all power. If an
officer brought me his wet $3,000 portable radio the morning after it was
dunked, I could easily save it IF AND ONLY IF the officer had remembered to
remove the battery immediately after the dunking. Leave the battery attached to
a wet radio for a few hours and you have ruined it beyond redemption.

Vaughn

Google