PDA

View Full Version : My L-Nav Kaput

Roy Clark, \B6\
June 24th 08, 01:14 AM
Have been content with my GPS-Nav Model 20 & L-Nav System (was upgrade
from an early EW) until my L-Nav began to act up. It is now totally
kaput.
Have tried all the tricks I could find on r.a.s.
While waiting for CAI repair service to reappear in the USA, have been
getting some input from my Club members.
Happy with my DG-300, so panel and instrument space limited. My DG-300
panel arrangement:
C C-compass
1 2 3 / #20 1 Kaput L-NAV spot 2 ASI 3Alt Note: 1-2-3 are 80
mm CAI 20 on forward end
4 5 4 CAI Vario 5 Winter mech. vario
Note: 57 mm
6 7 6 GPS-NAV display 7 Becker Transponder (one too
many close calls flying at
8 8-Becker Radio (OAT also
present) ASI/Minden)
I do have a Compaq IPAQ 3995 to use also with GNII or See You Mobile.
What options would others recommend?
1. Fix L-Nav and keep the GPS-Nav #20?
2. Keep GPS-Nav and get something else?
3. Replace both?
Want a secure system.
Please reply only on rec.aviation.soaring.

Fred[_4_]
June 24th 08, 04:48 AM
On Jun 23, 7:14*pm, "Roy Clark, \"B6\"" > wrote:
> Have been content with my GPS-Nav Model 20 & L-Nav System (was upgrade
> from an early EW) until my L-Nav began to act up. *It is now totally
> kaput.
> Have tried all the tricks I could find on r.a.s.
> While waiting for CAI repair service to reappear in the USA, have been
> getting some input from my Club members.
> Happy with my DG-300, so panel and instrument space limited. My DG-300
> panel arrangement:
> * C * * * * * * *C-compass
> 1 2 3 / #20 * 1 Kaput L-NAV spot * *2 ASI *3Alt Note: 1-2-3 are 80
> mm * *CAI 20 on forward end
> *4 5 * * * * * * *4 CAI Vario * * * * * * * 5 Winter mech. vario
> Note: 57 mm
> *6 7 * * * * * * *6 GPS-NAV display * 7 Becker Transponder (one too
> many close calls flying at
> * 8 * * * * * * * 8-Becker Radio *(OAT also
> present) * * * * * * * * * * * * * ASI/Minden)
> I do have a Compaq IPAQ 3995 to use also with GNII or See You Mobile.
> What options would others recommend?
> 1. Fix L-Nav and keep the GPS-Nav #20?
> 2. Keep GPS-Nav and get something else?
> 3. Replace both?
> Want a secure system.
> Please reply only on rec.aviation.soaring.

Our club recently took an L-Nav out of a ship and replaced it with the
302. I do not know what software update is in the L-Nav. What is it
worth to you?
Fred

Hellman
June 24th 08, 07:39 AM
On Jun 23, 5:14*pm, "Roy Clark, \"B6\"" > wrote:
> Have been content with my GPS-Nav Model 20 & L-Nav System (was upgrade
> from an early EW) until my L-Nav began to act up. *It is now totally
> kaput.

I've had a couple of threads on a similar topic. And, in my case, CAI
looked at one of the acting up units (I have two, because I bought a
used one since CAI wasn't repairing LNAV's after the first problem)
and found nothing wrong. The advice I've received so far:

1. Make sure the power connections are good. Hard to tell, so it might
pay to just redo them. A problem in the power line can cause erratic
readings and behavior.

2. Make sure there are ferrite RFI blocks.

3. Make sure the backup battery is good. The LNAV is supposed to
report when the voltage drops to 2.2 volts, but it might not hurt to
check the voltage and to clean the contacts on all sides. If you have
a logger, be particularly careful to keep 12 volts on the unit while
the battery is out or it may ruin it! In any event, write down all
your settings to play safe.

Hope this is of some help.

Martin

DRN
June 24th 08, 01:18 PM
On Jun 23, 8:14 pm, "Roy Clark, \"B6\"" > wrote:
> Have been content with my GPS-Nav Model 20 & L-Nav System (was upgrade
> from an early EW) until my L-Nav began to act up. It is now totally
> kaput.
> Have tried all the tricks I could find on r.a.s.
> While waiting for CAI repair service to reappear in the USA, have been
> getting some input from my Club members.
> Happy with my DG-300, so panel and instrument space limited. My DG-300
> panel arrangement:
> C C-compass
> 1 2 3 / #20 1 Kaput L-NAV spot 2 ASI 3Alt Note: 1-2-3 are 80
> mm CAI 20 on forward end
> 4 5 4 CAI Vario 5 Winter mech. vario
> Note: 57 mm
> 6 7 6 GPS-NAV display 7 Becker Transponder (one too
> many close calls flying at
> 8 8-Becker Radio (OAT also
> present) ASI/Minden)
> I do have a Compaq IPAQ 3995 to use also with GNII or See You Mobile.
> What options would others recommend?
> 1. Fix L-Nav and keep the GPS-Nav #20?
> 2. Keep GPS-Nav and get something else?
> 3. Replace both?
> Want a secure system.
> Please reply only on rec.aviation.soaring.

Keep the GPS-NAV and replace the L-NAV with an ILEC SN10B.
That will give you a secure logger plus the best flight computer
available. Of course, some would say I'm biased ;-)
To compare the SN10 with your L-NAV, check out:
http://users.bigpond.com/dweston/ILEC/Support/SN10/Downloads/LukeReview1.pdf

The SN10 has evolved considerably since this was written (the
high-resolution SN10B screen, AAT functions, alternates on the
moving map, etc) but you'll get the gist of it...

Contact me directly with any questions !
Best Regards, Dave "YO electric"

Google