PDA

View Full Version : Hangers for Experimentals

steveukman
August 8th 08, 06:51 PM
I have an opportunity to purchase some land with access to a grass
airstrip - this could be a dream come true.

Does anybody have recommendations for hanger companies to talk to (or
experience using general contractors to build this type of
structure). If there are companies that work with us ordinary
'Experimantal' folks rather than millionaires or corporations for
modest buildings, the information would be really appreciated.

I have a family, demanding day job and Sonex project - so building a
hanger myself would probably be stretching myself way too thin.

Many Thanks
Steve

Charlie[_2_]
August 8th 08, 07:59 PM
steveukman wrote:
> I have an opportunity to purchase some land with access to a grass
> airstrip - this could be a dream come true.
>
> Does anybody have recommendations for hanger companies to talk to (or
> experience using general contractors to build this type of
> structure). If there are companies that work with us ordinary
> 'Experimantal' folks rather than millionaires or corporations for
> modest buildings, the information would be really appreciated.
>
> I have a family, demanding day job and Sonex project - so building a
> hanger myself would probably be stretching myself way too thin.
>
> Many Thanks
> Steve
Are there any chicken farms in your area, & are building codes lax or
non-existent for 'outbuildings'?

If the answer to both is 'yes', ask the chicken farmers who builds their
houses.

(Same principal for shelters for other animals.)

Having said that, for a Sonex/RV-x size a/c you can build everything
except the slab yourself in a month or two using 4x4's, 'Z' channel
purlins & metal roofing. A door would probably double the time estimate,
but if you have 3 sides enclosed you're 95% done for sheltering the
plane (unless you're in a really hostile climate, like north of the
Willie Dixon Line).

Charlie
(been there, done that, sort of)
Slobovia Outernational Airport
Pocahontas MS

Morgans[_2_]
August 8th 08, 09:57 PM
"steveukman" > wrote

> Does anybody have recommendations for hanger companies to talk to (or
> experience using general contractors to build this type of
> structure). If there are companies that work with us ordinary
> 'Experimantal' folks rather than millionaires or corporations for
> modest buildings, the information would be really appreciated.
>
> I have a family, demanding day job and Sonex project - so building a
> hanger myself would probably be stretching myself way too thin.

Any good local general contractor should be able to do a good, cheap job of
it.

Make it like a pole shed, use galvanized metal (with baked on enamel if you
want to get fancy) for the walls and roof, and use wood roof trusses. The
truss company can specify the design for any span you want, including light
storage, or a room upstairs.

There are many doors you can buy commercially, or you could home brew your
own for your contribution to the project.

Look around at most any grass country strip. There are plenty money saving
design and construction ideas around.
--
Jim in NC

Scott[_7_]
August 8th 08, 10:47 PM
steveukman wrote:
> I have an opportunity to purchase some land with access to a grass
> airstrip - this could be a dream come true.
>
> Does anybody have recommendations for hanger companies to talk to (or
> experience using general contractors to build this type of
> structure). If there are companies that work with us ordinary
> 'Experimantal' folks rather than millionaires or corporations for
> modest buildings, the information would be really appreciated.
>
> I have a family, demanding day job and Sonex project - so building a
> hanger myself would probably be stretching myself way too thin.
>
> Many Thanks
> Steve

How about a standard pole building? Check in your yellow pages under
such headings as "Building - Pole and Post Frames". Should be
affordable with a dirt or gravel floor and sliding doors. Concrete and
bifolds add up pretty quickly...

RST Engineering
August 8th 08, 11:54 PM
A simple engine hoist and a belly sling ought to be able to do it.

Oh, wait a minute ... you probably want a HANGAR.

Can't help you there.

Jim

--
"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought
without accepting it."

"steveukman" > wrote in message
>I have an opportunity to purchase some land with access to a grass
> airstrip - this could be a dream come true.
>
> Does anybody have recommendations for hanger companies to talk to (or
> experience using general contractors to build this type of
> structure). If there are companies that work with us ordinary
> 'Experimantal' folks rather than millionaires or corporations for
> modest buildings, the information would be really appreciated.
>
> I have a family, demanding day job and Sonex project - so building a
> hanger myself would probably be stretching myself way too thin.
>
> Many Thanks
> Steve

steveukman
August 9th 08, 12:59 AM
Good shot, sir.
On this occasion I cannot even try using the "Oh, you Americans spell
it that way, whilst we Brits ....." excuse.

Thanks for all of the suggestions about the Pole Barn construction
techniques - I guess this is the only way I'll be going to the polls
this autumn.

On Aug 8, 5:54 pm, "RST Engineering" > wrote:
> A simple engine hoist and a belly sling ought to be able to do it.
>
> Oh, wait a minute ... you probably want a HANGAR.
>
> Can't help you there.
>
> Jim
>
> --
> "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought
> without accepting it."
> --Aristotle

et
August 9th 08, 09:25 PM
On Aug 8, 10:51*am, steveukman > wrote:
> I have an opportunity to purchase some land with access to a grass
> airstrip - this could be a dream come true.
>
> Does anybody have recommendations for hanger companies to talk to (or
> experience using general contractors to build this type of
> structure). *If there are companies that work with us ordinary
> 'Experimantal' folks *rather than millionaires or corporations for
> modest buildings, the information would be really appreciated.
>
> I have a family, demanding day job and Sonex project - so building a
> hanger myself would probably be stretching myself way too thin.
>
> Many Thanks
> Steve

Steve

When I built my hanger I researched cost per square foot. A pole
building came out the cheapest. You can even do the slab, just do it
in sections. A bifold door that opens sideways using common hardware
and 2x2's works great if there is little or no frost heave. You
might consider sheeting with osb. Good luck

Ed

Copperhead144
August 10th 08, 12:03 AM
On Aug 8, 12:51*pm, steveukman > wrote:
> I have an opportunity to purchase some land with access to a grass
> airstrip - this could be a dream come true.
>
> Does anybody have recommendations for hanger companies to talk to (or
> experience using general contractors to build this type of
> structure). *If there are companies that work with us ordinary
> 'Experimantal' folks *rather than millionaires or corporations for
> modest buildings, the information would be really appreciated.
>
> I have a family, demanding day job and Sonex project - so building a
> hanger myself would probably be stretching myself way too thin.
>
> Many Thanks
> Steve

By now you've found that a simple pole barn type of building will
suffice for your need's. If you have access to a sawmill you may
purchase most of your wood from them, yes you can put wood siding on a
barn or hanger. :-). I've begun a workshop with saw mill lumber and am
using deck screws as much as possible and will do my own floor as
well. One other option not to be dismissed is a fabric covered
building such as the portable shelters or greenhouses your often see
on farms. Rag Wing Aero offers plans for this or your can purchase a
ready to install kit, these are good for at least five years but most
of the one's I've seen are lasting far longer into the 7-10+ year
range. Factor in a dirt or gravel floor for these though.

Charlie[_2_]
August 10th 08, 02:33 PM
Copperhead144 wrote:
> On Aug 8, 12:51 pm, steveukman > wrote:
>> I have an opportunity to purchase some land with access to a grass
>> airstrip - this could be a dream come true.
>>
>> Does anybody have recommendations for hanger companies to talk to (or
>> experience using general contractors to build this type of
>> structure). If there are companies that work with us ordinary
>> 'Experimantal' folks rather than millionaires or corporations for
>> modest buildings, the information would be really appreciated.
>>
>> I have a family, demanding day job and Sonex project - so building a
>> hanger myself would probably be stretching myself way too thin.
>>
>> Many Thanks
>> Steve
>
> By now you've found that a simple pole barn type of building will
> suffice for your need's. If you have access to a sawmill you may
> purchase most of your wood from them, yes you can put wood siding on a
> barn or hanger. :-). I've begun a workshop with saw mill lumber and am
> using deck screws as much as possible and will do my own floor as
> well. One other option not to be dismissed is a fabric covered
> building such as the portable shelters or greenhouses your often see
> on farms. Rag Wing Aero offers plans for this or your can purchase a
> ready to install kit, these are good for at least five years but most
> of the one's I've seen are lasting far longer into the 7-10+ year
> range. Factor in a dirt or gravel floor for these though.
Some of the guys in a local ultralite club have used tarps over dirt for
the floor. Sounds weird but if you secure the edges well it works great
for almost no money.

I mentioned earlier using 4x4's & purlins; that's basically a pole barn
you can erect yourself. If you use a single pitch roof with the high
side being the opening for the hangar door, you can raise 30' metal
purlins without help by walking each end up a ladder. I built a 30x60
lean-to addition to my hangar using this technique in about a month of
afternoons & weekends.

Charlie

Google