PDA

View Full Version : Peel Ply: Purple Glow?

August 19th 08, 05:33 AM
I just started using a fresh batch of resin/hardener from Aeropoxy
(shipped by AS&S last week). I had a single white light off to the
side. I decided to uncover the part 30 hours after the lay up.

When I pulled the peel ply off quickly, the line where it separated
glowed bright purple for about 1/2 second. I couldn't believe it, so
I went and got a couple witnesses and immediately they saw the ply
turn from dim white to bright purple too. I proceeded to pull a
large section off very quickly and that lit up the section of peel ply
from underneath!

Has this ever happened to anyone else? Any explanation how it could
even be possible?

We held the separation line up to the light and studied it when it was
perfectly still. There wasn't the slightest bit of purple showing, as
it wasn't being ripped off. The only explanation I can muster is, the
breaking of molecular cross-linking caused a temporary, chemical
reaction, that is not visible unless the epoxy is really fresh and the
surrounding light is not too bright.

August 19th 08, 05:38 AM
On Aug 18, 9:33*pm, "
> wrote:
> I just started using a fresh batch of resin/hardener from Aeropoxy
> (shipped by AS&S last week). *I had a single white light off to the
> side. *I decided to uncover the part 30 hours after the lay up.
>
> When I pulled the peel ply off quickly, the line where it separated
> glowed bright purple for about 1/2 second. *I couldn't believe it, so
> I went and got a couple witnesses and immediately they saw the ply
> turn from dim white to bright purple too. * I proceeded to pull a
> large section off very quickly and that lit up the section of peel ply
> from underneath!
>
> Has this ever happened to anyone else? *Any explanation how it could
> even be possible?
>
> We held the separation line up to the light and studied it when it was
> perfectly still. *There wasn't the slightest bit of purple showing, as
> it wasn't being ripped off. *The only explanation I can muster is, the
> breaking of molecular cross-linking caused a temporary, chemical
> reaction, that is not visible unless the epoxy is really fresh and the
> surrounding light is not too bright.

no microballoons were used

Uli
August 19th 08, 08:54 AM
wrote:

> Has this ever happened to anyone else?

yep.

> Any explanation how it could
> even be possible?

to me, it look's like an electric discharge. but i have to leave a thorough
explanation of this phenomenon to someone else.

uli

Stealth Pilot[_2_]
August 19th 08, 12:57 PM
On Mon, 18 Aug 2008 21:33:28 -0700 (PDT), "
> wrote:

>I just started using a fresh batch of resin/hardener from Aeropoxy
>(shipped by AS&S last week). I had a single white light off to the
>side. I decided to uncover the part 30 hours after the lay up.
>
>When I pulled the peel ply off quickly, the line where it separated
>glowed bright purple for about 1/2 second. I couldn't believe it, so
>I went and got a couple witnesses and immediately they saw the ply
>turn from dim white to bright purple too. I proceeded to pull a
>large section off very quickly and that lit up the section of peel ply
>from underneath!
>
>Has this ever happened to anyone else? Any explanation how it could
>even be possible?
>
>We held the separation line up to the light and studied it when it was
>perfectly still. There wasn't the slightest bit of purple showing, as
>it wasn't being ripped off. The only explanation I can muster is, the
>breaking of molecular cross-linking caused a temporary, chemical
>reaction, that is not visible unless the epoxy is really fresh and the
>surrounding light is not too bright.

static electricity.
try taking a polyester shirt off in the dark.

Stealth Pilot

August 19th 08, 08:06 PM
On Aug 19, 4:57*am, Stealth Pilot >
wrote:
> On Mon, 18 Aug 2008 21:33:28 -0700 (PDT), "
>

> > wrote:
> >I just started using a fresh batch of resin/hardener from Aeropoxy
> >(shipped by AS&S last week). *I had a single white light off to the
> >side. *I decided to uncover the part 30 hours after the lay up.
>
> >When I pulled the peel ply off quickly, the line where it separated
> >glowed bright purple for about 1/2 second. *I couldn't believe it, so
> >I went and got a couple witnesses and immediately they saw the ply
> >turn from dim white to bright purple too. * I proceeded to pull a
> >large section off very quickly and that lit up the section of peel ply
> >from underneath!
>
> >Has this ever happened to anyone else? *Any explanation how it could
> >even be possible?
>
> >We held the separation line up to the light and studied it when it was
> >perfectly still. *There wasn't the slightest bit of purple showing, as
> >it wasn't being ripped off. *The only explanation I can muster is, the
> >breaking of molecular cross-linking caused a temporary, chemical
> >reaction, that is not visible unless the epoxy is really fresh and the
> >surrounding light is not too bright.
>
> static electricity.
> try taking a polyester shirt off in the dark.
>
> Stealth Pilot- Hide quoted text -

it had to be static electricity...not because of the color per se, but
the bright glow...pretty cool

Anthony W
August 20th 08, 10:04 AM
Have you ever seen the green flash on the horizon? ;o)

Tony

August 20th 08, 08:12 PM
On Aug 19, 1:06 pm, "
> wrote:

> it had to be static electricity...not because of the color per se, but
> the bright glow...pretty cool

Not likely static electricity, but coronal discharge. There's
a difference between a static field and an electric field (a magnetic
field is something else again). A visible spark is static; coronal
discharge (St. Elmo's Fire), or plasma, is electric field activity.
And that's as much as I know. See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/St._Elmo's_fire

Dan

August 20th 08, 10:13 PM
On Aug 20, 3:12*pm, wrote:

> * * * * *Not likely static electricity, but coronal discharge.

It's neither, see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Triboluminescence

Jason

Matt Whiting
August 20th 08, 11:43 PM
wrote:
> On Aug 19, 1:06 pm, "
> > wrote:
>
>> it had to be static electricity...not because of the color per se, but
>> the bright glow...pretty cool
>
> Not likely static electricity, but coronal discharge. There's
> a difference between a static field and an electric field (a magnetic
> field is something else again). A visible spark is static; coronal
> discharge (St. Elmo's Fire), or plasma, is electric field activity.
> And that's as much as I know. See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/St._Elmo's_fire
>
> Dan

That is actually more than you know about it. There are electric fields
and magnetic fields, there is not "static" field.

Matt

August 21st 08, 12:00 AM
On Aug 20, 3:13 pm, wrote:
> On Aug 20, 3:12 pm, wrote:
>
> > Not likely static electricity, but coronal discharge.
>
> It's neither, see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Triboluminescence
>
> Jason

That looks about right.

Dan

August 21st 08, 12:03 AM
On Aug 20, 4:43 pm, Matt Whiting > wrote:

> That is actually more than you know about it. There are electric fields
> and magnetic fields, there is not "static" field.
>
> Matt

You are right. Thanks for the correction. It's not "static" or
"electric" but "static electric." I found this:

http://www.greenfacts.org/en/static-fields/#1

Dan

Morgans[_2_]
August 21st 08, 01:13 AM
> Not likely static electricity, but coronal discharge.

It's neither, see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Triboluminescence

Wow, the things you can learn, entirely by accident.

Real interesting stuff!
--
Jim in NC

Steve Hix
August 21st 08, 02:31 AM
In article <C6Rqk.268$p72.111@trnddc05>,
Anthony W > wrote:

> Have you ever seen the green flash on the horizon? ;o)
>
> Tony

<blinking innocently>

A couple times from the beach across the street from my youngest
daughter's place in Honokowai, Maui.

And a couple weeks ago driving west on Hwy 152 about 15 miles east of
Los Banos, CA. Didn't expect that one.

Anthony W
August 21st 08, 06:43 AM
Steve Hix wrote:
> In article <C6Rqk.268$p72.111@trnddc05>,
> Anthony W > wrote:
>
>> Have you ever seen the green flash on the horizon? ;o)
>>
>> Tony
>
> <blinking innocently>
>
> A couple times from the beach across the street from my youngest
> daughter's place in Honokowai, Maui.
>
> And a couple weeks ago driving west on Hwy 152 about 15 miles east of
> Los Banos, CA. Didn't expect that one.

The time I saw in on the Oregon coast I thought I had been looking at
the sun to long... Years later I found out what it was all about...

Tony

Google