PDA

View Full Version : Saab question

Therefore
August 24th 08, 02:27 PM
Hello
can anyone please tell me which countries use the Saabs in their air forces

Also which craft and how many

T.I.A. ...................................Leslie

JR[_2_]
August 24th 08, 03:06 PM
On Sun, 24 Aug 2008 14:27:12 +0100, "Therefore"
> wrote:

>Hello
>can anyone please tell me which countries use the Saabs in their air forces
>
>Also which craft and how many
>
>T.I.A. ...................................Leslie

Over the years? Finland, Denmark, Austria... the Grippen is having
more scucess (and the cold war is over, which helps). Been sold to
Thailand, South Africa and a eastern europe country (can't remember
which...)

JR[_2_]
August 24th 08, 03:30 PM
More info at

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saab

Michael Huber[_2_]
August 24th 08, 04:33 PM
JR wrote:

> Been sold to
> Thailand, South Africa and a eastern europe country (can't remember
> which...)

Hungary. Well, leased with option to buy after lease espires.

HEMI-Powered[_4_]
August 24th 08, 06:12 PM
JR added these comments in the current discussion du jour ...

>>Hello
>>can anyone please tell me which countries use the Saabs in
>>their air forces
>>
> Over the years? Finland, Denmark, Austria... the Grippen is
> having more scucess (and the cold war is over, which helps).
> Been sold to Thailand, South Africa and a eastern europe
> country (can't remember which...)

How large are these air forces, JR? I was also wondering about who
is using this plane. With the state of the armed forces in most
countries following drastic reductions once the Cold War was
presumed to be won, I wouldn't think they had that many fighter-
bombers of any manufacturer.

--
HP, aka Jerry

Don't be a fop or a blooter, make only pithy comments on Usenet

Frank[_2_]
August 24th 08, 08:37 PM
"HEMI-Powered" > wrote in news:Xns9B04862708C29ReplyScoreID@
216.196.97.136:

> JR added these comments in the current discussion du jour ...
>
>>>Hello
>>>can anyone please tell me which countries use the Saabs in
>>>their air forces
>>>
>> Over the years? Finland, Denmark, Austria... the Grippen is
>> having more scucess (and the cold war is over, which helps).
>> Been sold to Thailand, South Africa and a eastern europe
>> country (can't remember which...)
>>
> How large are these air forces, JR? I was also wondering about who
> is using this plane. With the state of the armed forces in most
> countries following drastic reductions once the Cold War was
> presumed to be won, I wouldn't think they had that many fighter-
> bombers of any manufacturer.

Weren't there Czech rep markings in one or more of the pictures?

JR[_2_]
August 24th 08, 09:39 PM
On Sun, 24 Aug 2008 12:12:45 -0500, "HEMI-Powered" >
wrote:

>JR added these comments in the current discussion du jour ...
>
>>>Hello
>>>can anyone please tell me which countries use the Saabs in
>>>their air forces
>>>
>> Over the years? Finland, Denmark, Austria... the Grippen is
>> having more scucess (and the cold war is over, which helps).
>> Been sold to Thailand, South Africa and a eastern europe
>> country (can't remember which...)
>>
>How large are these air forces, JR? I was also wondering about who
>is using this plane. With the state of the armed forces in most
>countries following drastic reductions once the Cold War was
>presumed to be won, I wouldn't think they had that many fighter-
>bombers of any manufacturer.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saab :)

All are pretty small, the buys being around 12-24 I think

But I find the South African buy significant. This is a country with
lots of combat experience using small numbers of multi-purpose
aircraft.

HEMI-Powered[_4_]
August 24th 08, 11:24 PM
JR added these comments in the current discussion du jour ...

>>> Over the years? Finland, Denmark, Austria... the Grippen is
>>> having more scucess (and the cold war is over, which helps).
>>> Been sold to Thailand, South Africa and a eastern europe
>>> country (can't remember which...)
>>>
>>How large are these air forces, JR? I was also wondering about
>>who is using this plane. With the state of the armed forces in
>>most countries following drastic reductions once the Cold War
>>was presumed to be won, I wouldn't think they had that many
>>fighter- bombers of any manufacturer.
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saab :)
>
> All are pretty small, the buys being around 12-24 I think
>
> But I find the South African buy significant. This is a
> country with lots of combat experience using small numbers of
> multi-purpose aircraft.

So the total for all countries is maybe 100 more or less? That
fits with my relatively uninformed view of Europe's armed forces.
As to South Africa, can't say I've even heard of their armed
forces in general much less "lots of combat experience" for
fighter-bombers. What wars or skirmishes have the SA's been
engaged in?

--
HP, aka Jerry

Don't be a fop or a blooter, make only pithy comments on Usenet

JR[_2_]
August 25th 08, 08:13 AM
On Sun, 24 Aug 2008 17:24:22 -0500, "HEMI-Powered" >
wrote:

>As to South Africa, can't say I've even heard of their armed
>forces in general much less "lots of combat experience" for
>fighter-bombers. What wars or skirmishes have the SA's been
>engaged in?

Mostly against Angola in the 80/90s. A few Mig vs Mirage fights +
ground support missions.

Google