PDA

View Full Version : Removing factory scale from tubing?

mhorowit
August 31st 08, 09:57 PM
Besides abrasive blasting, or sanding, how do you remove the black
scale from factory/Spruce fresh tubing? - Mike

Ernest Christley
September 1st 08, 04:49 AM
mhorowit wrote:
> Besides abrasive blasting, or sanding, how do you remove the black
> scale from factory/Spruce fresh tubing? - Mike

I've been told that you don't, and I didn't. Just give it a rough
sanding to improve paint adhesion and paint it.

Michael Horowitz
September 1st 08, 12:26 PM
On Sun, 31 Aug 2008 23:49:43 -0400, Ernest Christley
> wrote:

>mhorowit wrote:
>> Besides abrasive blasting, or sanding, how do you remove the black
>> scale from factory/Spruce fresh tubing? - Mike
>
>I've been told that you don't, and I didn't. Just give it a rough
>sanding to improve paint adhesion and paint it.

I like that - Mike

Stealth Pilot[_2_]
September 2nd 08, 01:40 PM
On Mon, 01 Sep 2008 07:26:35 -0400, Michael Horowitz
> wrote:

>On Sun, 31 Aug 2008 23:49:43 -0400, Ernest Christley
> wrote:
>
>>mhorowit wrote:
>>> Besides abrasive blasting, or sanding, how do you remove the black
>>> scale from factory/Spruce fresh tubing? - Mike
>>
>>I've been told that you don't, and I didn't. Just give it a rough
>>sanding to improve paint adhesion and paint it.
>
>I like that - Mike

michael you should never abrasive blast aircraft parts.
you bead blast them. the difference is that "beads" are round and
produce a compressed surface which is resistant to fatigue failure.
grit blasting uses sharp edged particles that can leave millions of
sharp stress raising dents which may reduce the fatigue life.

Stealth Pilot

Google