PDA

View Full Version : Avenger

Canuck[_2_]
September 2nd 08, 03:50 PM

Hans Holbein
September 2nd 08, 04:33 PM
Canuck schrieb:

Rather an EnsignEliminator than an AbleDog

SKUNK WORKS
September 2nd 08, 05:18 PM
that's a corsair
"Hans Holbein" > wrote in message
> Canuck schrieb:
>
> Rather an EnsignEliminator than an AbleDog

Graham Sheldon
September 3rd 08, 12:07 AM
No. Not an Avenger. That's a F4U Corsair. A totally different type of
bird.

"Canuck" > wrote in message

Canuck[_2_]
September 3rd 08, 01:17 AM
"Graham Sheldon" > wrote in message
> No. Not an Avenger. That's a F4U Corsair. A totally different type of
> bird.

Hi. Sorry. It has been a long time since I took that photo. However, I don't
believe it is a Corsair. I do remember them making a big deal about it being
a rare bird made by the same company that made the Corsair but for the life
of me, I can't remember the name/designation. It even has the Corsair style
wings. Also, I do remember them saying it was probably one of very few if
not the only one still flying.

Nick

Herman
September 3rd 08, 08:41 PM
"Canuck" > schreef in bericht

> "Graham Sheldon" > wrote in message
>> No. Not an Avenger. That's a F4U Corsair. A totally different type of
>> bird.
>
> Hi. Sorry. It has been a long time since I took that photo. However, I
> don't believe it is a Corsair. I do remember them making a big deal about
> it being a rare bird made by the same company that made the Corsair but
> for the life of me, I can't remember the name/designation. It even has the
> Corsair style wings. Also, I do remember them saying it was probably one
> of very few if not the only one still flying.
>
> Nick

It's a Corsair (F4U) allright. It was also built by another company whose
name escapes me at the moment, but I believe that those planes were called
FG-1.
Somebody added an exhaust pipe.

Regards,
Herman

Canuck[_2_]
September 3rd 08, 11:04 PM
"Herman" > wrote in message
b.home.nl...

> It's a Corsair (F4U) allright. It was also built by another company whose
> name escapes me at the moment, but I believe that those planes were called
> FG-1.
> Somebody added an exhaust pipe.
>
> Regards,
> Herman

Ok. Sounds reasonable. I'm not at all familiar with the aircraft. Thanks.

Nick

Graham Sheldon
September 3rd 08, 11:53 PM
Yep. The FG-1 was the Corsair built by Goodyear.

Regards
GS
"Canuck" > wrote in message

> "Herman" > wrote in message
> b.home.nl...
>
>> It's a Corsair (F4U) allright. It was also built by another company whose
>> name escapes me at the moment, but I believe that those planes were
>> called FG-1.
>> Somebody added an exhaust pipe.
>>
>> Regards,
>> Herman
>
> Ok. Sounds reasonable. I'm not at all familiar with the aircraft. Thanks.
>
> Nick

Canuck[_2_]
September 4th 08, 03:07 AM
"Graham Sheldon" > wrote in message
> Yep. The FG-1 was the Corsair built by Goodyear.

Thanks! That is the name that has eluded me.

Nick

Morgans[_2_]
September 4th 08, 08:26 AM
"Herman" > wrote

> It's a Corsair (F4U) allright. It was also built by another company whose
> name escapes me at the moment, but I believe that those planes were called
> FG-1.
> Somebody added an exhaust pipe.

Foight?
--
Jim in NC

Steven P. McNicoll[_2_]
September 4th 08, 03:17 PM
Canuck wrote:

> Hi. Sorry. It has been a long time since I took that photo. However,
> I don't believe it is a Corsair. I do remember them making a big deal
> about it being a rare bird made by the same company that made the
> Corsair but for the life of me, I can't remember the
> name/designation. It even has the Corsair style wings. Also, I do
> remember them saying it was probably one of very few if not the only
> one still flying.

It's a Corsair. The "big deal" was probably the fact that it's not an
Vought F4U Corsair but a Goodyear FG Corsair or a Brewster F3A Corsair.
Most likely a Goodyear FG Corsair, I believe the only Brewster F3A in
existence is on a flatbed and the USN is being a real dick about
repossessing it.

Steven P. McNicoll[_2_]
September 4th 08, 03:28 PM
Herman wrote:

> It's a Corsair (F4U) allright. It was also built by another company
> whose name escapes me at the moment, but I believe that those planes
> were called FG-1.

The Corsair was built by Goodyear as the FG and by Brewster as the F3A.

Google