PDA

View Full Version : WesternCanadaAviationMuseum-1

Canuck[_2_]
September 2nd 08, 03:51 PM

展奄rdo
September 2nd 08, 04:13 PM
Canuck wrote:

Thanks Canuk for the postings. I like the Avro 504K, but is it carrying
a British civil registration?

--
Moving things in still pictures!

Canuck[_2_]
September 2nd 08, 04:20 PM
"展奄rdo" > wrote in message
> Canuck wrote:

> Thanks Canuk for the postings. I like the Avro 504K, but is it carrying a
> British civil registration?
>
> --
> Moving things in still pictures!

I believe that it is!

Nick

Ken Murphy[_2_]
September 3rd 08, 03:55 PM
On Tue, 02 Sep 2008 16:13:40 +0100, 展奄rdo > wrote:

>Canuck wrote:

>Thanks Canuk for the postings. I like the Avro 504K, but is it carrying
>a British civil registration?

Ricardo, Nick: The Avro 504K at the WCAM is a replica, built by the
National Aviation Museum in 1967 for the Centennial celebrations.

As it is not an original aircraft, it is on long-term loan to the
WCAM.

It wears registration G-CYEI, indicating the Canadian portion of the
British system.

The registration is correct, as during the Canadian Air Board years,
1919 to 1927, the newly formed Royal Canadian Air Force (RCAF)
operated government owned, civil registered aircraft, on a mix of
military and civil tasks.

The G-C was the Canadian list in the British registration system,
G-CYxx being the RCAF segment, G-CAxx being the civil list.

CF- came into use as the Canadian registration prefix in the late
20's, Tiger Moth CF-AAA being first on the registry.

For the original aircraft, see
http://www.airforce.dnd.ca/site/equip/images/historic_gallery/wallpaper/504k.jpg

Ken

展奄rdo
September 3rd 08, 04:25 PM
Ken Murphy wrote:
> On Tue, 02 Sep 2008 16:13:40 +0100, 展奄rdo > wrote:
>
>> Canuck wrote:
>>>
>> Thanks Canuk for the postings. I like the Avro 504K, but is it carrying
>> a British civil registration?
>

> Ricardo, Nick: The Avro 504K at the WCAM is a replica, built by the
> National Aviation Museum in 1967 for the Centennial celebrations.
>
> As it is not an original aircraft, it is on long-term loan to the
> WCAM.
>
> It wears registration G-CYEI, indicating the Canadian portion of the
> British system.
>
> The registration is correct, as during the Canadian Air Board years,
> 1919 to 1927, the newly formed Royal Canadian Air Force (RCAF)
> operated government owned, civil registered aircraft, on a mix of
> military and civil tasks.
>
> The G-C was the Canadian list in the British registration system,
> G-CYxx being the RCAF segment, G-CAxx being the civil list.
>
> CF- came into use as the Canadian registration prefix in the late
> 20's, Tiger Moth CF-AAA being first on the registry.
>
> For the original aircraft, see
> http://www.airforce.dnd.ca/site/equip/images/historic_gallery/wallpaper/504k.jpg
>
> Ken

Hi Ken,

Thanks for such a comprehensive explanation - truly there's something
new to learn every day.

I appreciate your help.

展奄rdo

--