PDA

View Full Version : Avro AvroCar

Canuck[_2_]
September 2nd 08, 04:36 PM

Canuck[_2_]
September 2nd 08, 05:40 PM
"Bill & Ange" > wrote in message
> Nice replica. There's only 2 prototypes and they're both in the US. One in
> Dayton at the USAF Museum, the other as a gate guard in Maryland.

I didn't have a chance to ask about this but it seemed like the real thing
and not a replica. Next time I'm there, I'll enquire about this. Every few
years or so, I get an urge to visit the museum and I was quite surprised to
see this on display when I was there a couple of months ago.

Take care,

Nick

Bill & Ange
September 2nd 08, 06:30 PM
Nice replica. There's only 2 prototypes and they're both in the US. One in
Dayton at the USAF Museum, the other as a gate guard in Maryland.

"Canuck" > wrote in message

-----------------
-----------------

The Visitor
September 2nd 08, 08:41 PM
http://www.wcam.mb.ca/avrocar.html

Bill & Ange wrote:

> Nice replica. There's only 2 prototypes and they're both in the US. One in
> Dayton at the USAF Museum, the other as a gate guard in Maryland.
>
> "Canuck" > wrote in message
>

> -----------------
> www.Newsgroup-Binaries.com - *Completion*Retention*Speed*
> Access your favorite newsgroups from home or on the road
> -----------------

Canuck[_2_]
September 3rd 08, 01:09 AM
"The Visitor" > wrote in message
> http://www.wcam.mb.ca/avrocar.html
>

> Bill & Ange wrote:
>
>> Nice replica. There's only 2 prototypes and they're both in the US. One
>> in Dayton at the USAF Museum, the other as a gate guard in Maryland.

OK! Here is the scoop. I was out and about this afternoon and dropped in on
the WCAM book store/gift shop and asked them about the Avrocar. Apparently,
Bill is right. It IS a replica!!! A darn good one I must say. It was created
for the filming of a documentary. There were two real ones made and both of
them are in the US. For now. One of them MAY get returned to Canada and end
up in a museum in Toronto. No word yet if/when this might happen.

Nick

Canuck[_2_]
September 3rd 08, 03:38 AM
"Bill & Ange" > wrote in message
> Afraid there isn't one coming to Toronto, we tried to get it, but someone
> inside the Museum screwed it up and we lost it to Dayton. The one sitting
> there, I thought, had been used as a reception desk at Air Command in
> Winnipeg, but the picture says otherwise. It was used in a film/tv
> docu-drama called 'AvroCar' narrated by Levar Burton (Star Trek fame). The
> show is still out there (on DVD) and is pretty well done. I'm hoping that
> we might replicate one ourselves here one day.
>
> Regards,
> Bill
> Member Board of Directors
> Toronto Aerospace Museum
> Toronto, ON
>
> www.torontoaerospacemuseum.com

Hi Bill! Sorry to hear the news. It would be great if this piece of Canadian
aviation history did make it back to Canada eventually. The gift shop was
out of the DVD but they are going to restock and I've put my name down for a
copy. Take care,

Nick

Bill & Ange
September 3rd 08, 04:05 AM

"Canuck" > wrote in message

> "The Visitor" > wrote in message
>> http://www.wcam.mb.ca/avrocar.html
>>

>> Bill & Ange wrote:
>>
>>> Nice replica. There's only 2 prototypes and they're both in the US. One
>>> in Dayton at the USAF Museum, the other as a gate guard in Maryland.
>
> OK! Here is the scoop. I was out and about this afternoon and dropped in
> on the WCAM book store/gift shop and asked them about the Avrocar.
> Apparently, Bill is right. It IS a replica!!! A darn good one I must say.
> It was created for the filming of a documentary. There were two real ones
> made and both of them are in the US. For now. One of them MAY get returned
> to Canada and end up in a museum in Toronto. No word yet if/when this
> might happen.
>
> Nick

-----------------
-----------------

Peter Hucker[_2_]
September 5th 08, 06:42 PM
Looks like a flying saucer, I wonder if this is what fooled
people.....

On Tue, 02 Sep 2008 15:41:49 -0400, The Visitor
> wrote:

>http://www.wcam.mb.ca/avrocar.html
>

>Bill & Ange wrote:
>
>> Nice replica. There's only 2 prototypes and they're both in the US. One in
>> Dayton at the USAF Museum, the other as a gate guard in Maryland.
>>
>> "Canuck" > wrote in message
>>

>> -----------------
>> www.Newsgroup-Binaries.com - *Completion*Retention*Speed*
>> Access your favorite newsgroups from home or on the road
>> -----------------

_ .--.
( ` )
.-' `--,