PDA

View Full Version : donner blitzen

flybywire
September 4th 08, 10:18 AM

Michael Huber[_2_]
September 4th 08, 10:57 AM
flybywire wrote:

For those of you who can't read German: It's an ad for an exhibition of war
booty, to take place in February of 1917 at the Zoo (of whichever city this
poster appeared in, I presume).

And, by the way: The German word for lightning is Blitz, not "Blitzen". Why
do so many Englisch speakers insist on attaching the "en"? "Blitz" as used
in this context is a noun, not a verb.

Netko
September 4th 08, 11:31 AM
On Thu, 4 Sep 2008 10:57:24 +0100, Michael Huber wrote
(in message >):

> And, by the way: The German word for lightning is Blitz, not "Blitzen". Why
> do so many Englisch speakers insist on attaching the "en"? "Blitz" as used
> in this context is a noun, not a verb.

It's probably the fault of Santa Claus.

Two of his reindeer are named Donner and Blitzen.

--

ŽiŠardo
September 4th 08, 12:11 PM
Netko wrote:
> On Thu, 4 Sep 2008 10:57:24 +0100, Michael Huber wrote
> (in message >):
>
>> And, by the way: The German word for lightning is Blitz, not "Blitzen". Why
>> do so many Englisch speakers insist on attaching the "en"? "Blitz" as used
>> in this context is a noun, not a verb.
>
> It's probably the fault of Santa Claus.
>
> Two of his reindeer are named Donner and Blitzen.

....or the war comics where it is compulsory for the German troops to say
"Ach, Donner und Blitzen" whenever they are attacked by the "Tommies".

--
Moving things in still pictures!

Martin Helms
September 4th 08, 02:15 PM
"ŽiŠardo" > schrieb im Newsbeitrag
> Netko wrote:
>> On Thu, 4 Sep 2008 10:57:24 +0100, Michael Huber wrote
>> (in message >):
>>
>>> And, by the way: The German word for lightning is Blitz, not "Blitzen".
>>> Why
>>> do so many Englisch speakers insist on attaching the "en"? "Blitz" as
>>> used
>>> in this context is a noun, not a verb.
>>
>> It's probably the fault of Santa Claus.
>>
>> Two of his reindeer are named Donner and Blitzen.
>>

> ...or the war comics where it is compulsory for the German troops to say
> "Ach, Donner und Blitzen" whenever they are attacked by the "Tommies".

I always thought Flash/Thunder was the US watchword during D-Day...

PS: As long as the "ach" is pronounced the Scottish way and does not
resemble "ack", that's fine by me ;)

Jim Breckenridge
September 4th 08, 04:50 PM
Netko wrote:
> On Thu, 4 Sep 2008 10:57:24 +0100, Michael Huber wrote
> (in message >):
>
>> And, by the way: The German word for lightning is Blitz, not "Blitzen". Why
>> do so many Englisch speakers insist on attaching the "en"? "Blitz" as used
>> in this context is a noun, not a verb.
>
> It's probably the fault of Santa Claus.
>
> Two of his reindeer are named Donner and Blitzen.

Actually if you do the research you'll find it is donder not donner in
the poem.

Richard[_7_]
September 4th 08, 07:08 PM
"Jim Breckenridge" > schreef in bericht
> Netko wrote:
>> On Thu, 4 Sep 2008 10:57:24 +0100, Michael Huber wrote
>> (in message >):
>>
>>> And, by the way: The German word for lightning is Blitz, not "Blitzen".
>>> Why
>>> do so many Englisch speakers insist on attaching the "en"? "Blitz" as
>>> used
>>> in this context is a noun, not a verb.
>>
>> It's probably the fault of Santa Claus.
>>
>> Two of his reindeer are named Donner and Blitzen.
>>
> Actually if you do the research you'll find it is donder not donner in the
> poem.

"Donder" is the Dutch word for thunder, "Donner" the German word.
And the reindeer the Americans know today as Santa's reindeer, aren't they
also creation of the vivid imagination of someone at Coca-Cola's marketing
department?
Just like the Santa image that is so popular since the '30s?

Netko
September 4th 08, 07:40 PM
On Thu, 4 Sep 2008 16:50:30 +0100, Jim Breckenridge wrote
(in message <atTvk.145832$nD.100899@pd7urf1no>):

>> Two of his reindeer are named Donner and Blitzen.
>>
> Actually if you do the research you'll find it is donder not donner in
> the poem.

Having now done the research (or at least a Google search which is
surely what passes for research in this day and age), I find that
the names have in fact varied, from Dunder and Bliksem through
Donder and Blitzen to Donner and Blitzen

I also discovered that there is another reindeer who is not
mentioned in the poem but appears in a familiar song - Olive, the
other reindeer.

On-topic, because the sleigh is an animal-powered flying machine.

--

Capt. Geoffrey Thorpe
September 4th 08, 10:16 PM
"Richard" > wrote in message
el.net...

> "Jim Breckenridge" > schreef in bericht
<...>>>
>> Actually if you do the research you'll find it is donder not donner in
>> the poem.
>
> "Donder" is the Dutch word for thunder, "Donner" the German word.
> And the reindeer the Americans know today as Santa's reindeer, aren't
> they also creation of the vivid imagination of someone at Coca-Cola's
> marketing department?

Clement Clarke Moore's famous poem, which he named "A Visit From St.
Nicholas," was published for the first time on December 23, 1823 by a New
York newspaper, the Sentinel

--
Geoff
The Sea Hawk at Wow Way d0t Com

Guybrush Threepwood[_2_]
September 5th 08, 05:02 PM
"Capt. Geoffrey Thorpe" <The Sea Hawk @See My Sig.com> schrieb im
Newsbeitrag ...
> "Richard" > wrote in message

>> "Donder" is the Dutch word for thunder, "Donner" the German word.
>> And the reindeer the Americans know today as Santa's reindeer, aren't
>> they also creation of the vivid imagination of someone at Coca-Cola's
>> marketing department?

Snip...

right and some history behind for those who are interested....

both words are coming from the german god Donar or Thor who was supposed to
make the lightnings with his hammer. That is where Thursday (was Thor'sday)
and in german Donnerstag is coming from.

Anyway, just for info...

--
Gruß Guybrush

Richard[_7_]
September 6th 08, 06:54 PM

> Clement Clarke Moore's famous poem, which he named "A Visit From St.
> Nicholas," was published for the first time on December 23, 1823 by a New
> York newspaper, the Sentinel
>
> --

Correct, and seeing he himself and his wife are most probable of Dutch
decent, through the New York Livingston family the words most probably
originate in the Dutch language, not the German.

Herman
September 6th 08, 07:36 PM
"Richard" > schreef in bericht
bel.net...

>> Clement Clarke Moore's famous poem, which he named "A Visit From St.
>> Nicholas," was published for the first time on December 23, 1823 by a New
>> York newspaper, the Sentinel
>>
>> --
>
> Correct, and seeing he himself and his wife are most probable of Dutch
> decent, through the New York Livingston family the words most probably
> originate in the Dutch language, not the German.

In the Dutch language that would be Donder en Bliksem.
German sounds closer to the mark to me.

Regards,
Herman

Google