PDA

View Full Version : [17/30] - 17 F-5.JPG (1/1) Another try

Waldo.Pepper[_2_]
September 10th 08, 06:23 AM

Scubabix
September 12th 08, 04:07 AM
"Waldo.Pepper" > wrote in message
g.com...

Next time I go home for a visit, I'm going to have to get over to the
museum, if for nothing else, to see the Spruce Goose.
Nice series.
Rob

Morgans[_2_]
September 12th 08, 06:19 AM
"Scubabix" > wrote

> Next time I go home for a visit, I'm going to have to get over to the
> museum, if for nothing else, to see the Spruce Goose.
> Nice series.

Yep. I would like to see more, of all of the "how it's made" and other
technical goodies, though. Can you go inside it?

I have never seen a good web site that really did it justice, IMHO. I saw
one picture that showed how a mechanic could walk inside the wing to work on
the engines while in flight, if I recall that correctly. Lots of stuff like
that, would give me a thrill. <g>

Seeing the Spruce Goose in this lifetime is pretty high on my list of "must
do's."

I'm working on a trip in the next year or two, but it is a hell of a long
way from NC, if I can still read a map correctly. <g>

Oh well, just several hours sitting in a long aluminum tube, I guess. :-)
--
Jim in NC

Waldo.Pepper[_2_]
September 12th 08, 07:01 AM
On Fri, 12 Sep 2008 01:19:54 -0400, "Morgans"
> wrote:

>"Scubabix" > wrote
>
>> Next time I go home for a visit, I'm going to have to get over to the
>> museum, if for nothing else, to see the Spruce Goose.
>> Nice series.
>
>Yep. I would like to see more, of all of the "how it's made" and other
>technical goodies, though. Can you go inside it?

The museum is pretty darned impressive. You can watch a short film on
the move/restoration of the Goose. The buildings themselves are
extremely well done and quite posh IMHO.

There is a small portion of the interior open to the public after you
climb a set of stairs. Sadly the interior is off limits and all you
get basically get to see is the rear of the fuselage - but you are
kept from it by a massive plexiglass wall. I fully understand why this
was done, but it really killed the illusion for me.

The way the plane was displayed in Long Beach was preferable to me.
One big room - one big plane.

But I suppose that doing it that way made it an unsustainable
attration. Not enough people would visit for JUST a single plane. So
the folks at Evergreen have included it in a large collection of
aircraft.

This makes it hard to photograph due to all the 'clutter' that
surrounds it, and the size of course. I think it is clear that I am a
terrible photographer with a crap set of cameras to play around with.
But still it is like trying to take a picture of the Grand Canyon. You
just can't do it justice, all sense of scale is lost.

Still I am not complaining! Glad I went, glad I saw it. Checked it off
the list.

Next up Europe! Duxford - Hendon etc.

Waldo.

Tom[_2_]
September 12th 08, 12:19 PM
Private tours of the Flight Deck are available for a fee. It was like $50 Dollars.
Speaking with one of the Guides during my visit in 2007 he said they had to close
down the flight deck because people were taking souvenirs. Dials, knobs etc...

Morgans wrote:
> "Scubabix" > wrote
>
>> Next time I go home for a visit, I'm going to have to get over to the
>> museum, if for nothing else, to see the Spruce Goose.
>> Nice series.
>
> Yep. I would like to see more, of all of the "how it's made" and other
> technical goodies, though. Can you go inside it?
>
> I have never seen a good web site that really did it justice, IMHO. I saw
> one picture that showed how a mechanic could walk inside the wing to work on
> the engines while in flight, if I recall that correctly. Lots of stuff like
> that, would give me a thrill. <g>
>
> Seeing the Spruce Goose in this lifetime is pretty high on my list of "must
> do's."
>
> I'm working on a trip in the next year or two, but it is a hell of a long
> way from NC, if I can still read a map correctly. <g>
>
> Oh well, just several hours sitting in a long aluminum tube, I guess. :-)

Google