PDA

View Full Version : Vulcan

Glenn[_2_]
September 13th 08, 12:18 AM

Alan Erskine[_3_]
September 13th 08, 12:51 AM
"Glenn" > wrote in message

What did it sound like (other than loud)?

Indrek Aavisto
September 13th 08, 01:09 AM
AE> "Glenn" > wrote in message

AE> What did it sound like (other than loud)?

It should not have been that loud when the picture was taken because it was
probably landing. Notice that the speed brakes are deployed. There must have
been some crosswind too judging by the amount of left rudder being used.

Cheers,

Indrek Aavisto

--
Criticism is easy; achievement is difficult. W.S. Churchill

Glen in Orlando
September 13th 08, 03:51 AM
wow..wow..wow..wow..wow!
Thanks for sharing these Glenn!

Glen in Orlando

"Glenn" > wrote in message

Dingo[_4_]
September 13th 08, 09:43 AM
"Glenn" > wrote in message

Excellent shot, but ........... :~(
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/edinburgh_and_east/7611088.stm
~~
Dingo

Andrew Chaplin
September 13th 08, 01:44 PM
"Alan Erskine" > wrote in message
> "Glenn" > wrote in message
>>

> What did it sound like (other than loud)?

This should give you an idea.
--
Andrew Chaplin
SIT MIHI GLADIUS SICUT SANCTO MARTINO

Dave Whiley
September 14th 08, 11:37 AM
Andrew Chaplin wrote:
> "Alan Erskine" > wrote in message
>> "Glenn" > wrote in message
>> What did it sound like (other than loud)?
>
> This should give you an idea.

There's a low-frequency component that cuts in at about 0:24 in that
recording, known as the "Vulcan Howl". On some take-offs it's at a very
low level, on others it can dominate the engine sound, and I've heard it
described as being like "a herd of elephants trunpeting!"

I'm guessing that the volume on any given occasion depends on many
factors (length of runway, how much power the pilot has to apply and
where, weather conditions, where you're standing at what point in the
take-off... and so on, and so on!)

--
Dave

not-me should be djw001 and there's no need for any wossname

Andrew Chaplin
September 16th 08, 11:56 AM
"Dave Whiley" > wrote in message
> Andrew Chaplin wrote:
>> "Alan Erskine" > wrote in message
>>> "Glenn" > wrote in message
>>> What did it sound like (other than loud)?
>>
>> This should give you an idea.
>
> There's a low-frequency component that cuts in at about 0:24 in that
> recording, known as the "Vulcan Howl". On some take-offs it's at a very low
> level, on others it can dominate the engine sound, and I've heard it
> described as being like "a herd of elephants trunpeting!"
>
> I'm guessing that the volume on any given occasion depends on many factors
> (length of runway, how much power the pilot has to apply and where, weather
> conditions, where you're standing at what point in the take-off... and so
> on, and so on!)

I've never been around a Vulcan in the flesh, so I am not sure how close that
recording is. I found it several years ago in ABPM and kept it along with
other military sound MP3s, e.g. a Chieftain firing and a CF-104 take-off.
--
Andrew Chaplin
SIT MIHI GLADIUS SICUT SANCTO MARTINO

Herman
September 17th 08, 12:28 AM
"Andrew Chaplin" > schreef in bericht
> "Dave Whiley" > wrote in message
>> Andrew Chaplin wrote:
>>>
>>> This should give you an idea.
>>
>> There's a low-frequency component that cuts in at about 0:24 in that
>> recording, known as the "Vulcan Howl". On some take-offs it's at a very
>> low level, on others it can dominate the engine sound, and I've heard it
>> described as being like "a herd of elephants trunpeting!"
>>
>> I'm guessing that the volume on any given occasion depends on many
>> factors (length of runway, how much power the pilot has to apply and
>> where, weather conditions, where you're standing at what point in the
>> take-off... and so on, and so on!)
>
> I've never been around a Vulcan in the flesh, so I am not sure how close
> that recording is. I found it several years ago in ABPM and kept it along
> with other military sound MP3s, e.g. a Chieftain firing and a CF-104
> take-off.
> --
> Andrew Chaplin
> SIT MIHI GLADIUS SICUT SANCTO MARTINO
> (If you're going to e-mail me, you'll have to get "yourfinger." out.)

I am happy to have a video called "Salute the Vulcan" in which there is a
part without commentary where you are treated to the sound of a Vulcan
taking off. I have also heard this live at the IAT. Once heard, never
forgotten. One remark though. I thought it was called the "Olympus howl". It
is also very noticeable when you see the aircraft from the front during the
take off run.

Regards,
Herman

Google