PDA

View Full Version : Flying Magazine?

Lou
September 15th 08, 02:22 PM
Does anyone here read Flying magazine? I got an offer from them for 9
issues for $7. Is that a good deal? Is it worth reading? Has it always
been just 9 issues or is this their way of cutting cost?
Lou

Darkwing
September 15th 08, 03:42 PM
"Lou" > wrote in message
> Does anyone here read Flying magazine? I got an offer from them for 9
> issues for $7. Is that a good deal? Is it worth reading? Has it always
> been just 9 issues or is this their way of cutting cost?
> Lou

I got 3 years for like $27 or something like that. Magazines these days
basically just want the readers to pay the cost of printing and shipping the
book, they make their money from the advertising instead of the readers.

Gig 601Xl Builder
September 15th 08, 03:50 PM
Lou wrote:
> Does anyone here read Flying magazine? I got an offer from them for 9
> issues for $7. Is that a good deal? Is it worth reading? Has it always
> been just 9 issues or is this their way of cutting cost?
> Lou

A great magazine if you want to read about high end GA.

Ol Shy & Bashful
September 15th 08, 07:39 PM
On Sep 15, 8:22*am, Lou > wrote:
> Does anyone here read Flying magazine? I got an offer from them for 9
> issues for $7. Is that a good deal? Is it worth reading? Has it always
> been just 9 issues or is this their way of cutting cost?
> * * * * * * Lou

Lou
That is cheap enough for a good try at the magazine. I quit reading
them years ago along with a lot of other magazines. It seemed to me I
was reading the same ol same ol with a lot of hype for the advertisers
and their products. But, I started to lose interest when the cost of a
simple single engine airplane went for more than I make in 5 years!
Ol S&B

F. Baum
September 15th 08, 09:54 PM
On Sep 15, 7:22*am, Lou > wrote:
> Does anyone here read Flying magazine? I got an offer from them for 9
> issues for $7. Is that a good deal? Is it worth reading?

At this price you almost cant go wrong. Personally, I cant stand
Flying magazine. Every year I get a free copy at Oshcosh and every
year at Oshcosh I am reminded why I dont read flying. Try it out at
your local library and decide.
FB

Mxsmanic
September 15th 08, 10:02 PM
Lou writes:

> Does anyone here read Flying magazine?

Much of the magazine is available for free on the Web.

Jay Maynard
September 15th 08, 10:20 PM
On 2008-09-15, F. Baum > wrote:
> On Sep 15, 7:22*am, Lou > wrote:
>> Does anyone here read Flying magazine? I got an offer from them for 9
>> issues for $7. Is that a good deal? Is it worth reading?
> At this price you almost cant go wrong.

Indeed. I picked it up (at the same price), but if the few issues I've
gotten are representative, I probably won't be renewing. It's just not
relevant to the kind of flying I do.
--
Jay Maynard, K5ZC http://www.conmicro.com
Fairmont, MN (FRM) (Yes, that's me!)

Darkwing
September 15th 08, 10:24 PM
"Mxsmanic" > wrote in message
> Lou writes:
>
>> Does anyone here read Flying magazine?
>
> Much of the magazine is available for free on the Web.

Which works out great for giant lazy sloths like yourself.

Matt Whiting
September 15th 08, 10:38 PM
Lou wrote:
> Does anyone here read Flying magazine? I got an offer from them for 9
> issues for $7. Is that a good deal? Is it worth reading? Has it always
> been just 9 issues or is this their way of cutting cost?
> Lou

I have it now also due to a deal like that. I'm not a Flying fan
personally and stopped paying real money for a subscription probably 15
years ago. I much prefer Kitplanes and AOPA Pilot. However, for this
price, it is hard to go wrong. I won't renew unless they give me
another sub $1/issue deal.

Matt

JGalban via AviationKB.com
September 15th 08, 10:47 PM
Ol Shy & Bashful wrote:
> It seemed to me I
>was reading the same ol same ol with a lot of hype for the advertisers
>and their products. But, I started to lose interest when the cost of a
>simple single engine airplane went for more than I make in 5 years!

I know the feeling. I used to subscribe to most of the aviation mags, but
after a decade or so, I found myself reading the same old rehashed articles.
How many times can you read the annual "Watch out for density altitude"
articles in the spring and the "Preheating your airplane" articles every fall.
I dropped everything except the AOPA mag that comes with the membership. I
don't think I've missed much.

John Galban=====>N4BQ (PA28-180)

Marco Leon[_5_]
September 16th 08, 03:56 PM
"JGalban via AviationKB.com" <u32749@uwe> wrote in message
> Ol Shy & Bashful wrote:
>> It seemed to me I
>>was reading the same ol same ol with a lot of hype for the advertisers
>>and their products. But, I started to lose interest when the cost of a
>>simple single engine airplane went for more than I make in 5 years!
>
> I know the feeling. I used to subscribe to most of the aviation mags,
> but
> after a decade or so, I found myself reading the same old rehashed
> articles.
> How many times can you read the annual "Watch out for density altitude"
> articles in the spring and the "Preheating your airplane" articles every
> fall.
> I dropped everything except the AOPA mag that comes with the membership.
> don't think I've missed much.
>
> John Galban=====>N4BQ (PA28-180)

Don't you get Pipers magazine too ;)

Marco

Marco Leon[_5_]
September 16th 08, 04:06 PM
"Lou" > wrote in message
> Does anyone here read Flying magazine? I got an offer from them for 9
> issues for $7. Is that a good deal? Is it worth reading? Has it always
> been just 9 issues or is this their way of cutting cost?
> Lou

I really like the magazine. I got a similar 3-year deal. I think mine was
between $20-$30 for three years so it was a no-brainer. While they do have
articles on flying business jets, they also have many relevant articles for
the spam-can drivers. I even find Mac's columns to be highly relevant to
typical GA despite his propensity to do all the business jet aircraft
reviews. He regularly flies a Baron out of HPN and many of his columns are
based off those experiences.

I find that it has a pretty good mix of all types of flying as evidenced by
the disparate backgrounds of their columnists. It's one of the few mags I
read cover-to-cover every month.

Marco

Patty
September 20th 08, 10:20 PM
I've been enjoying a FREE 12-month subscription thru a CC deal. I have
not been around craft , ATC, or a sub to Flying in over 20 years. My oh
my, how technology has changed. And I mean---much more complicated with
the avionics for navigation and weather INTERPRETATION. I don't think I
could just hop in a rental single and just go fly unless the plane is 1970's
or older. Flying magazine is an excellent source for those out of the
loop, to realize how much u don't know about all the fancy stuff. So, I
say it's no just the same-o, same-o

> Marco Leon wrote:
>>
>>Don't you get Pipers magazine too ;)
>>

> Hehe! Good catch, Marco. I never really thought of that as a real
> magazine.
> After all, they had my plane on the cover once :-)))
>
> John Galban=====>N4BQ (PA28-180)
>
> --

Bob Fry
September 22nd 08, 03:39 AM
They couldn't pay me to read their rag. Actually a few years ago they
did pay me a dollar to answer a survey. I kept the dollar and tossed
the survey.
--
Nothing exists except atoms and empty space; everything else is
opinion.

Google