PDA

View Full Version : "Fantasy" Flight - Video

September 28th 08, 10:39 PM
Yesterday's "Fantasy" IFR flight from Bessemer AL back home to Madison
MS. KMBO.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5GMej00GrhE

Cumulus cloud bases were 5000 estimated to 8000 feet. My cruise
altitude was 6000. One has to admit, the view at 6000 was more
photogenic then Interstate 20 and 59!

http://flightaware.com/live/flight/N1943L/history/20080927/1910Z/KEKY/KMBO

Magic of flight at it's finest with one of my better landings to
finish it off!

Gezellig
September 29th 08, 03:23 PM
On Sun, 28 Sep 2008 14:39:34 -0700 (PDT), wrote:

> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5GMej00GrhE
>
> Cumulus cloud bases were 5000 estimated to 8000 feet. My cruise
> altitude was 6000. One has to admit, the view at 6000 was more
> photogenic then Interstate 20 and 59!

Since you had only a 100 ft of altitude to gain to completely miss the
clouds (as per video), why not get on top?

September 29th 08, 10:55 PM
On Sep 29, 9:23*am, Gezellig > wrote:
> On Sun, 28 Sep 2008 14:39:34 -0700 (PDT), wrote:
> >http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5GMej00GrhE
>
> > Cumulus cloud bases were 5000 estimated to 8000 feet. My cruise
> > altitude was 6000. *One has to admit, the view at 6000 was more
> > photogenic then Interstate 20 and 59!
>
> Since you had only a 100 ft of altitude to gain to completely miss the
> clouds (as per video), why not get on top?

LOL, you got me confused,

6000 was my cruise, tops were estimated 8000, my math sez 2000 feet of
altitude to gain to clear the tops??? Or is there something in the
video that I may have mistyped??

Anyhow, to clarify why I couldn't go to 8000 IFR westbound was because
there is a MOA in my flight path that the floor begins at 8000, so I
wouldn't have gotten GPS direct, so I selected 6000. 4000 is too low
for GPS direct as it is below center and Meridian approach radar
coverage.

Gezellig
September 30th 08, 02:53 PM
On Mon, 29 Sep 2008 14:55:43 -0700 (PDT), wrote:

> On Sep 29, 9:23*am, Gezellig > wrote:
>> On Sun, 28 Sep 2008 14:39:34 -0700 (PDT), wrote:
>>>http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5GMej00GrhE
>>
>>> Cumulus cloud bases were 5000 estimated to 8000 feet. My cruise
>>> altitude was 6000. *One has to admit, the view at 6000 was more
>>> photogenic then Interstate 20 and 59!
>>
>> Since you had only a 100 ft of altitude to gain to completely miss the
>> clouds (as per video), why not get on top?
>
> LOL, you got me confused,
>
> 6000 was my cruise, tops were estimated 8000, my math sez 2000 feet of
> altitude to gain to clear the tops??? Or is there something in the
> video that I may have mistyped??

Naw, I was speaking about the part that you videod, it appeared that you
were clipping the tops when there was clearance only a few feet above.
Were you "in between" at 6000 A or what am I missing?

October 1st 08, 02:50 AM
On Sep 30, 8:53*am, Gezellig > wrote:

> Naw, I was speaking about the part that you videod, it appeared that you
> were clipping the tops when there was clearance only a few feet above.
> Were you "in between" at 6000 A or what am I missing?

I gotchya. Yes, I could have climbed a few feet to clear the clouds,
but since I was on an IFR flight, I don't deviate from my assigned
altitude. I was at 6000 when I was clipping the cloud tops

If it means clipping or entering a cloud, that was why I tortured
myself getting that IA rating. Plus, while in cruise, I had hands off
flying so why change a stable as a table plane to climb a few feet to
avoid some clouds.

Gezellig
October 1st 08, 12:00 PM
On Tue, 30 Sep 2008 18:50:27 -0700 (PDT), wrote:

> On Sep 30, 8:53*am, Gezellig > wrote:
>
>> Naw, I was speaking about the part that you videod, it appeared that you
>> were clipping the tops when there was clearance only a few feet above.
>> Were you "in between" at 6000 A or what am I missing?
>
> I gotchya. Yes, I could have climbed a few feet to clear the clouds,
> but since I was on an IFR flight, I don't deviate from my assigned
> altitude. I was at 6000 when I was clipping the cloud tops
>
> If it means clipping or entering a cloud, that was why I tortured
> myself getting that IA rating. Plus, while in cruise, I had hands off
> flying so why change a stable as a table plane to climb a few feet to
> avoid some clouds.

OK, what I thought.

Google