PDA

View Full Version : Using cell phones during commercial flight--a SCAM

hello
October 8th 08, 11:27 PM
I'd like to put this argument to rest, once and for all.

Since I was in Center ATC back in the 80's, I used to hear that cell phones
needed to be turned off because it interfered with the avionics.

Well, let me tell ALL of u that as recently as six months ago a junior
captain, Michael D, for American Airlines used his cell phone to call me
upon approaching into MIA, where he's based. He wanted to make sure I was
home so that he could come over and get laid, so GO FIGURE. I doubt he
patched the call thru ACARS.

The cell phone rumor is just that, a baseless, unfounded rumor designed to
make more money for the airlines by using their satellite service.

Bertie the Bunyip[_24_]
October 8th 08, 11:37 PM
"hello" > wrote in
:

> I'd like to put this argument to rest, once and for all.
>
> Since I was in Center ATC back in the 80's, I used to hear that cell
> phones needed to be turned off because it interfered with the
> avionics.
>
> Well, let me tell ALL of u that as recently as six months ago a
> junior captain, Michael D, for American Airlines used his cell phone
> to call me upon approaching into MIA, where he's based. He wanted to
> make sure I was home so that he could come over and get laid, so GO
> FIGURE. I doubt he patched the call thru ACARS.
>
> The cell phone rumor is just that, a baseless, unfounded rumor
> designed to make more money for the airlines by using their satellite
> service.

Well, not a big problem if the armor on the cables works, but they're a
PITA when they're anywhere near the stack or antennae and switched on.

Bertie

Google