PDA

View Full Version : Antonov An-2

Herman
November 14th 08, 09:58 PM
This is a picture I recently made in Atyrau (Kazakhstan) in the Victory
Park. It is an open air museum dedicated to all people who fought and often
died in various wars.

The picture shows the business end of an An-2. Does anybody know what the
purpose is of the objects attached to the roots of the propeller blades?

Kind regards,

Herman

Robert Moore
November 14th 08, 11:04 PM
"Herman" > wrote
> The picture shows the business end of an An-2. Does anybody know what
> the purpose is of the objects attached to the roots of the propeller
> blades?

Those are counter weights that help control the constant speed props.
Hydraulic pressure twists the blades in one direction and when removed,
the weights twist the blades in the other direction. Some props use a
large spring in the dome to accomplish the same thing.

Bob Moore
ATP CFI

Blarp
November 15th 08, 01:22 PM
On Fri, 14 Nov 2008 22:58:14 +0100, "Herman"
> wrote:

>This is a picture I recently made in Atyrau (Kazakhstan) in the Victory
>Park. It is an open air museum dedicated to all people who fought and often
>died in various wars.
>
>The picture shows the business end of an An-2. Does anybody know what the
>purpose is of the objects attached to the roots of the propeller blades?
>
>Kind regards,
>
>Herman

I guess it is a constant speed prop, weights to auto-control the blade
pitch when power setting is altered.

The AT-6 has a similar setup.

Herman
November 18th 08, 05:57 PM
"Robert Moore" > schreef in bericht
5.247...
> "Herman" > wrote
>> The picture shows the business end of an An-2. Does anybody know what
>> the purpose is of the objects attached to the roots of the propeller
>> blades?
>
> Those are counter weights that help control the constant speed props.
> Hydraulic pressure twists the blades in one direction and when removed,
> the weights twist the blades in the other direction. Some props use a
> large spring in the dome to accomplish the same thing.
>
> Bob Moore
> ATP CFI

Thanks.

Regards,