PDA

View Full Version : Air Canada L-1011

Canuck[_3_]
December 20th 08, 02:58 AM
Another great aircraft that was fantastic to fly on. Too bad most of them
aren't in service any longer. Air Canada retired the type long ago.

Nick

Laurie & Jacques
December 20th 08, 02:17 PM
In my own opinion, one of the best aircaraft ever made, along with the C130.
(both models)

Jacques

"Canuck" > wrote in message
> Another great aircraft that was fantastic to fly on. Too bad most of them
> aren't in service any longer. Air Canada retired the type long ago.
>
> Nick

-----------------
-----------------

Canuck[_3_]
December 20th 08, 04:40 PM
"Laurie & Jacques" > wrote in message
> In my own opinion, one of the best aircaraft ever made, along with the
> C130. (both models)
>
> Jacques

I really loved it. My most memorable flight on an Air Canada L-1011 was
coming back from London (Heathrow) to Winnipeg. In those days, if you asked
nicely, they would let you go up and visit the cockpit and have a look
around. The crew were very nice to me and let me sit in the jump seat
through the approach and landing into Winnipeg. The conditions were quite
rough. Strong winds and lots of snow...as near to a blizzard as can be. It
was fantastic to see the runway lights just appear out of the gloom. It was
the strangest trip. I left Zagreb in a blizzard, arrived in London where it
was relatively warm and quite humid, and then arrived in a blizzard again.
It was fantastic to be back in Canada. I wish I'd gotten some pictures of
the magnificent sky over Greenland. It was quite amazing. Although I'd been
back and forth over Greenland several times, I'd never seen anything quite
like this. It was twilight and bitterly cold and lots of ice crystals in the
clouds below. The Sun's rays produced a spectacular prismatic effect in the
clouds. Absolutely unforgettable and I wish I had some way to film it. The
very cheap camera I had and the film I had in it just did not do it justice.

Lockheed makes great aircraft. I love everything they have ever made. Some
of my other favourites are the F-104, the SR-71, the U-2 and of course the
new F-22. I have yet to see a F-22 in person but look forward to it. The
video that has made its way around the Internet is quite spectacular. It is
an amazing aircraft and I wish Canada had bought it instead of the F-35. I
guess it came down to money.

Nick

Nick Hunt
December 20th 08, 07:57 PM
Agreed! I've always liked the Tristar, probably because it was the first
aircraft I'd ever flown on. I went from Gatwick to Palma, Majorca in 1982 on
a L-1011 which was operated by British Airtours. Being only 7 years old at
the time (and fascinated) they let me into the cockpit. Marvellous!!!!

"Canuck" > wrote in message

> "Laurie & Jacques" > wrote in message
>> In my own opinion, one of the best aircaraft ever made, along with the
>> C130. (both models)
>>
>> Jacques
>
> I really loved it. My most memorable flight on an Air Canada L-1011 was
> coming back from London (Heathrow) to Winnipeg. In those days, if you
> asked nicely, they would let you go up and visit the cockpit and have a
> look around. The crew were very nice to me and let me sit in the jump seat
> through the approach and landing into Winnipeg. The conditions were quite
> rough. Strong winds and lots of snow...as near to a blizzard as can be. It
> was fantastic to see the runway lights just appear out of the gloom. It
> was the strangest trip. I left Zagreb in a blizzard, arrived in London
> where it was relatively warm and quite humid, and then arrived in a
> blizzard again. It was fantastic to be back in Canada. I wish I'd gotten
> some pictures of the magnificent sky over Greenland. It was quite amazing.
> Although I'd been back and forth over Greenland several times, I'd never
> seen anything quite like this. It was twilight and bitterly cold and lots
> of ice crystals in the clouds below. The Sun's rays produced a spectacular
> prismatic effect in the clouds. Absolutely unforgettable and I wish I had
> some way to film it. The very cheap camera I had and the film I had in it
> just did not do it justice.
>
> Lockheed makes great aircraft. I love everything they have ever made. Some
> of my other favourites are the F-104, the SR-71, the U-2 and of course the
> new F-22. I have yet to see a F-22 in person but look forward to it. The
> video that has made its way around the Internet is quite spectacular. It
> is an amazing aircraft and I wish Canada had bought it instead of the
> F-35. I guess it came down to money.
>
> Nick

Laurie & Jacques
December 21st 08, 12:34 AM
I actually never have flown on the 10-11. Here are some reasons why I liked
it.

I worked for Air Canada out of Dorval (Now Pierre Elliot Trudeau
International Airport) and Mirabel International; as ground crew, baggage
"hustler", etc

The concept of that aircraft, in my view, was "quick turnaround". What I
mean is this. Everything was containerized: baggage, freight, food, etc.
We had at least three crews of 4 doing the loading/unloading. Two fuel
tenders, one lavatory (sewage) truck and one fresh water truck. The
turnaround time for us was at least 45 minutes. Fuel and all included.

At midships, and in just in front of the wing root, you had a full size
service door for the galley access where the food service truck would line
itself and open the door and deliver/remove all the food carts/ovens. In
other words, one service stop instead of using two to three doors to do the
same job for, let's say a 747. You see, the galley was located under the
main passenger floor at about the mid section of the aircraft. It had two
service elevators in order to send and receive the containers. Utterly
fascinating! Oh, BTW, you still had a "bulk cargo" area aft of the rear
main cargo door for loose mail bags, oversize cargo, baggage, etc. It
really was a delight to work with this aircraft.

Just aft of the galley, you had the electronics bay in which you had to go
through an access door through the galley, if you had to service any "black
box" that might have been deficient (unlike the 747 which was forward of the
front cargo compartment and under the first class floor).

I also had an opportunity to work on the C5, DC 3, DC 10, HS 747, Boeing
747, 737, 707 and a host of others. The 10-11 will remain by far the most
well built and most gorgeous (lack of a better term), and cleanest designed
aircraft that I have eve seen. And remember this: only one ever crashed.
That was in Florida, I believe in the 70s. As compared to the DC-10s. They
had a variety of problems for "pranging".

I am not sure who made the engines, but I think, and correct me if I am
wrong, were Rolls Royce. At least for Air Canada, at any rate. Quality
stuff, in my mind.

Jacques

-----------------
-----------------

Laurie & Jacques
December 21st 08, 12:39 AM
You are right! $$ rules! Canada, I believe has only two to three
operational squadrons of CF-18s. Another for Training new pilots. the rest
are spar parts, or if you wish, spares. Just the same, they will be buying
new planes. They have to. No way getting around it.

Jacques

"Canuck" > wrote in message

> "Laurie & Jacques" > wrote in message
>> In my own opinion, one of the best aircaraft ever made, along with the
>> C130. (both models)
>>
>> Jacques
>
> I really loved it. My most memorable flight on an Air Canada L-1011 was
> coming back from London (Heathrow) to Winnipeg. In those days, if you
> asked nicely, they would let you go up and visit the cockpit and have a
> look around. The crew were very nice to me and let me sit in the jump seat
> through the approach and landing into Winnipeg. The conditions were quite
> rough. Strong winds and lots of snow...as near to a blizzard as can be. It
> was fantastic to see the runway lights just appear out of the gloom. It
> was the strangest trip. I left Zagreb in a blizzard, arrived in London
> where it was relatively warm and quite humid, and then arrived in a
> blizzard again. It was fantastic to be back in Canada. I wish I'd gotten
> some pictures of the magnificent sky over Greenland. It was quite amazing.
> Although I'd been back and forth over Greenland several times, I'd never
> seen anything quite like this. It was twilight and bitterly cold and lots
> of ice crystals in the clouds below. The Sun's rays produced a spectacular
> prismatic effect in the clouds. Absolutely unforgettable and I wish I had
> some way to film it. The very cheap camera I had and the film I had in it
> just did not do it justice.
>
> Lockheed makes great aircraft. I love everything they have ever made. Some
> of my other favourites are the F-104, the SR-71, the U-2 and of course the
> new F-22. I have yet to see a F-22 in person but look forward to it. The
> video that has made its way around the Internet is quite spectacular. It
> is an amazing aircraft and I wish Canada had bought it instead of the
> F-35. I guess it came down to money.
>
> Nick

-----------------
-----------------

Andrew Chaplin
December 21st 08, 04:16 AM
"Laurie & Jacques" > wrote in message
> "Canuck" > wrote in message
>>
>> "Laurie & Jacques" > wrote in message
>>> In my own opinion, one of the best aircaraft ever made, along with the
>>> C130. (both models)
>>>
>>> Jacques
>>
>> I really loved it. My most memorable flight on an Air Canada L-1011 was
>> coming back from London (Heathrow) to Winnipeg. In those days, if you asked
>> nicely, they would let you go up and visit the cockpit and have a look
>> around. The crew were very nice to me and let me sit in the jump seat
>> through the approach and landing into Winnipeg. The conditions were quite
>> rough. Strong winds and lots of snow...as near to a blizzard as can be. It
>> was fantastic to see the runway lights just appear out of the gloom. It was
>> the strangest trip. I left Zagreb in a blizzard, arrived in London where it
>> was relatively warm and quite humid, and then arrived in a blizzard again.
>> It was fantastic to be back in Canada. I wish I'd gotten some pictures of
>> the magnificent sky over Greenland. It was quite amazing. Although I'd been
>> back and forth over Greenland several times, I'd never seen anything quite
>> like this. It was twilight and bitterly cold and lots of ice crystals in
>> the clouds below. The Sun's rays produced a spectacular prismatic effect in
>> the clouds. Absolutely unforgettable and I wish I had some way to film it.
>> The very cheap camera I had and the film I had in it just did not do it
>> justice.
>>
>> Lockheed makes great aircraft. I love everything they have ever made. Some
>> of my other favourites are the F-104, the SR-71, the U-2 and of course the
>> new F-22. I have yet to see a F-22 in person but look forward to it. The
>> video that has made its way around the Internet is quite spectacular. It is
>> an amazing aircraft and I wish Canada had bought it instead of the F-35. I
>> guess it came down to money.
>>
> You are right! $$ rules! Canada, I believe has only two to three
> operational squadrons of CF-18s. Another for Training new pilots. the rest
> are spar parts, or if you wish, spares. Just the same, they will be buying
> new planes. They have to. No way getting around it.

Don't bet on it. They are likely counting on keeping CF-188s flying until the
Canadian version of the F-35 is available. I don't think they have to buy
anything but spares, just as they did with the Starfighter.
--
Andrew Chaplin
SIT MIHI GLADIUS SICUT SANCTO MARTINO

Canuck[_3_]
December 21st 08, 04:28 AM
"Laurie & Jacques" > wrote in message
> You are right! $$ rules! Canada, I believe has only two to three
> operational squadrons of CF-18s. Another for Training new pilots. the
> rest are spar parts, or if you wish, spares. Just the same, they will be
> buying new planes. They have to. No way getting around it.
>
> Jacques

Isn't that stupid? We mothball our best aircraft and cut flying time and
training time. I hope they don't do the same thing with the F-35 once it
gets here.

Nick

Nick Hunt
December 21st 08, 08:56 AM
Yep, Rolls-Royce RB211's

"Laurie & Jacques" > wrote in message
>I actually never have flown on the 10-11. Here are some reasons why I
>liked it.
>
> I worked for Air Canada out of Dorval (Now Pierre Elliot Trudeau
> International Airport) and Mirabel International; as ground crew, baggage
> "hustler", etc
>
> The concept of that aircraft, in my view, was "quick turnaround". What I
> mean is this. Everything was containerized: baggage, freight, food, etc.
> We had at least three crews of 4 doing the loading/unloading. Two fuel
> tenders, one lavatory (sewage) truck and one fresh water truck. The
> turnaround time for us was at least 45 minutes. Fuel and all included.
>
> At midships, and in just in front of the wing root, you had a full size
> service door for the galley access where the food service truck would line
> itself and open the door and deliver/remove all the food carts/ovens. In
> other words, one service stop instead of using two to three doors to do
> the same job for, let's say a 747. You see, the galley was located under
> the main passenger floor at about the mid section of the aircraft. It had
> two service elevators in order to send and receive the containers.
> Utterly fascinating! Oh, BTW, you still had a "bulk cargo" area aft of
> the rear main cargo door for loose mail bags, oversize cargo, baggage,
> etc. It really was a delight to work with this aircraft.
>
> Just aft of the galley, you had the electronics bay in which you had to go
> through an access door through the galley, if you had to service any
> "black box" that might have been deficient (unlike the 747 which was
> forward of the front cargo compartment and under the first class floor).
>
> I also had an opportunity to work on the C5, DC 3, DC 10, HS 747, Boeing
> 747, 737, 707 and a host of others. The 10-11 will remain by far the most
> well built and most gorgeous (lack of a better term), and cleanest
> designed aircraft that I have eve seen. And remember this: only one ever
> crashed. That was in Florida, I believe in the 70s. As compared to the
> DC-10s. They had a variety of problems for "pranging".
>
> I am not sure who made the engines, but I think, and correct me if I am
> wrong, were Rolls Royce. At least for Air Canada, at any rate. Quality
> stuff, in my mind.
>
> Jacques
>

> -----------------
> www.Newsgroup-Binaries.com - *Completion*Retention*Speed*
> Access your favorite newsgroups from home or on the road
> -----------------

Andrew Chaplin
December 21st 08, 01:06 PM
"Nick Hunt" > wrote in message
> "Laurie & Jacques" > wrote in message
<snip>
>> I am not sure who made the engines, but I think, and correct me if I am
>> wrong, were Rolls Royce. At least for Air Canada, at any rate. Quality
>> stuff, in my mind.
>
> Yep, Rolls-Royce RB211's

IIRC, development of those engines was what brought RR to bankruptcy in the
'70s.
--
Andrew Chaplin
SIT MIHI GLADIUS SICUT SANCTO MARTINO

Laurie & Jacques
December 21st 08, 02:18 PM
They will! Canada's defense policy is something like this: "If we are not
at war, let 'em keep using old stuff until it falls apart at the seams." If
you have served any amount of time in the CAF, a lot of people will tell you
the same thing... Been there and done that!

Then again, who am I to complain. they may have changed their minds
(Canadian Government, that is). It has been a long time since I wore the
uniform of Canadia. As a matter of fact, there is no SNOW where I now live.

Enjoy

Jacques

"Canuck" > wrote in message

> "Laurie & Jacques" > wrote in message
>> You are right! $$ rules! Canada, I believe has only two to three
>> operational squadrons of CF-18s. Another for Training new pilots. the
>> rest are spar parts, or if you wish, spares. Just the same, they will be
>> buying new planes. They have to. No way getting around it.
>>
>> Jacques
>
> Isn't that stupid? We mothball our best aircraft and cut flying time and
> training time. I hope they don't do the same thing with the F-35 once it
> gets here.
>
> Nick

-----------------
-----------------

Canuck[_3_]
December 21st 08, 04:29 PM
"Laurie & Jacques" > wrote in message
> They will! Canada's defense policy is something like this: "If we are
> not at war, let 'em keep using old stuff until it falls apart at the
> seams." If you have served any amount of time in the CAF, a lot of people
> will tell you the same thing... Been there and done that!
>
> Then again, who am I to complain. they may have changed their minds
> (Canadian Government, that is). It has been a long time since I wore the
> uniform of Canadia. As a matter of fact, there is no SNOW where I now
> live.
>
> Enjoy
>
> Jacques

Sad but true. Enjoy the sunshine you lucky dog! It is -38 C here this
morning.

Nick

Laurie & Jacques
December 21st 08, 11:03 PM
-38? Winnipeg?

Jacques

"Canuck" > wrote in message

> "Laurie & Jacques" > wrote in message
>> They will! Canada's defense policy is something like this: "If we are
>> not at war, let 'em keep using old stuff until it falls apart at the
>> seams." If you have served any amount of time in the CAF, a lot of
>> people will tell you the same thing... Been there and done that!
>>
>> Then again, who am I to complain. they may have changed their minds
>> (Canadian Government, that is). It has been a long time since I wore the
>> uniform of Canadia. As a matter of fact, there is no SNOW where I now
>> live.
>>
>> Enjoy
>>
>> Jacques
>
> Sad but true. Enjoy the sunshine you lucky dog! It is -38 C here this
> morning.
>
> Nick

-----------------
-----------------

Canuck[_3_]
December 22nd 08, 03:32 AM
"Laurie & Jacques" > wrote in message
> -38? Winnipeg?

Yes! :)

Nick

Laurie & Jacques
December 22nd 08, 04:05 AM
Thought so . . .
Been there too!. But it is not the coldest place I have ever been . . .
Try La Ronge SK

Jacques

"Canuck" > wrote in message

> "Laurie & Jacques" > wrote in message
>> -38? Winnipeg?
>
> Yes! :)
>
> Nick

-----------------
-----------------

Jim Breckenridge[_3_]
December 22nd 08, 04:27 AM
Laurie & Jacques wrote:
> Thought so . . .
> Been there too!. But it is not the coldest place I have ever been . . .
> Try La Ronge SK
>
> Jacques

See your Winnipeg and raise your La Ronge - when I worked in the
weather office I read the thermometer in Watson Lake, Yukon
minus 69.9 F

Andrew Chaplin
December 22nd 08, 01:55 PM
"Jim Breckenridge" > wrote in message
> Laurie & Jacques wrote:
>> Thought so . . .
>> Been there too!. But it is not the coldest place I have ever been . . .
>> Try La Ronge SK
>>
>> Jacques
>>
> See your Winnipeg and raise your La Ronge - when I worked in the weather
> office I read the thermometer in Watson Lake, Yukon
> minus 69.9 F

You had an office?! Luxury! Third Regiment, Royal Canadian Horse Artillery,
had a meteorological section (all "blue jobs") that deployed with the unit for
winter indoctrination and sovereignty exercises. They may not have recorded
anything that cold, even when they deployed to Coral Harbour, Northwest
Territories, but it's different when you have to sleep in a five-man arctic
tent on an air mattress in a two-piece sleeping bag with a flannelette liner
and a hood that covers everything but your nose. The air mattress was what
made it work. If it leaked, you were f***ed.

Here's Coral Harbour: http://preview.tinyurl.com/6whr2c. The regiment also
deployed to Resolute (http://preview.tinyurl.com/8nuef6) during winter, but
that was well before my time.
--
Andrew Chaplin
SIT MIHI GLADIUS SICUT SANCTO MARTINO

Laurie & Jacques
December 22nd 08, 02:10 PM
I know exactly what you mean Andrew! My air mattress leaked at -29C . . .
Got a good cold out of it

Raise you that place in the Yukon to Thule AFB and then raise another at CFS
Alert . . . Summer and winter. Wasn't bad though . . . it was DRY!!!

heh heh heh

Jacques

"Andrew Chaplin" > wrote in message
> "Jim Breckenridge" > wrote in message
>> Laurie & Jacques wrote:
>>> Thought so . . .
>>> Been there too!. But it is not the coldest place I have ever been . . .
>>> Try La Ronge SK
>>>
>>> Jacques
>>>
>> See your Winnipeg and raise your La Ronge - when I worked in the weather
>> office I read the thermometer in Watson Lake, Yukon
>> minus 69.9 F
>
> You had an office?! Luxury! Third Regiment, Royal Canadian Horse
> Artillery, had a meteorological section (all "blue jobs") that deployed
> with the unit for winter indoctrination and sovereignty exercises. They
> may not have recorded anything that cold, even when they deployed to Coral
> Harbour, Northwest Territories, but it's different when you have to sleep
> in a five-man arctic tent on an air mattress in a two-piece sleeping bag
> with a flannelette liner and a hood that covers everything but your nose.
> The air mattress was what made it work. If it leaked, you were f***ed.
>
> Here's Coral Harbour: http://preview.tinyurl.com/6whr2c. The regiment also
> deployed to Resolute (http://preview.tinyurl.com/8nuef6) during winter,
> but that was well before my time.
> --
> Andrew Chaplin
> SIT MIHI GLADIUS SICUT SANCTO MARTINO
> (If you're going to e-mail me, you'll have to get "yourfinger." out.)

-----------------
-----------------

Jim Breckenridge[_3_]
December 22nd 08, 02:30 PM
Laurie & Jacques wrote:
> I know exactly what you mean Andrew! My air mattress leaked at -29C . . .
> Got a good cold out of it
>
> Raise you that place in the Yukon to Thule AFB and then raise another at CFS
> Alert . . . Summer and winter. Wasn't bad though . . . it was DRY!!!
>
> heh heh heh
>
> Jacques

Never got as far as Alert but I did spend 14 month and 8 days here:

http://www.lswilson.ca/pinm67a.jpg

No tent - had a mostly warm regular bed.

Canuck[_3_]
December 22nd 08, 04:58 PM
"Laurie & Jacques" > wrote in message
> Thought so . . .
> Been there too!. But it is not the coldest place I have ever been . . .
> Try La Ronge SK
>
> Jacques

Yes...but it is a dry cold! :)

Nick