PDA

View Full Version : Licensing new Experimental glider in USA

John Bojack[_2_]
January 1st 09, 11:31 PM
What sub-category of "Experimental" is adviseable to place a U.S. sailplane
used for racing in? The two big choices were "Racing" and "Exhibition".
I'm hoping for the least hassle....ie. program letters and all that.

Thanks,

J4

Frank Whiteley
January 2nd 09, 01:17 AM
On Jan 1, 4:31*pm, "John Bojack" > wrote:
> What sub-category of "Experimental" is adviseable to place a U.S. sailplane
> used for racing in? * *The two big choices were "Racing" and "Exhibition".
> I'm hoping for the least hassle....ie. program letters and all that.
>
> Thanks,
>
> J4

I suggest downloading a copy of FAA Order 8130.2F with Chg3.

http://tinyurl.com/86zgo8

Read Chapter 4, Section 1, Section 6, and Section 8. Applicability:
Group I and ALL (see page 119). Other sections may apply, certain
placards required. Search the term 'program letter'. Good document
to understand if you race/fly experimental gliders in the US.

Racing, definitely.

Frank Whiteley

Bob Kuykendall
January 2nd 09, 02:50 AM
On Jan 1, 3:31*pm, "John Bojack" > wrote:
> What sub-category of "Experimental" is adviseable to place
> a U.S. sailplane used for racing in?

Amateur-built.

BT
January 2nd 09, 05:08 AM
"Bob Kuykendall" > wrote in message
On Jan 1, 3:31 pm, "John Bojack" > wrote:
>> What sub-category of "Experimental" is adviseable to place
>> a U.S. sailplane used for racing in?

> Amateur-built.

If it is an European import.. it most likely will have a US Type Certificate
Data Sheet that will specify which US airworthy certification it is
qualified for. Some are "standard" some are "experimental - Racing and
Exhibition"

Follow the guidance that Frank Whiteley provided.

Steve Leonard[_2_]
January 2nd 09, 05:15 AM
At 02:50 02 January 2009, Bob Kuykendall wrote:

>Amateur-built.

Not for his new LS-10, Bob.

You will end up in Exhibition and Racing, with the requirement for a
yearly Program Letter. The best part is that when you take in the letter,
they will likely look at you and say "What is that for?" Make two
copies. One must be kept in the plane, and one sent to the FAA. So much
for the Paperwork Reduction Act!

Steve Leonard

HL Falbaum[_2_]
January 2nd 09, 01:54 PM
"Steve Leonard" > wrote in message
> At 02:50 02 January 2009, Bob Kuykendall wrote:
>>
>>Amateur-built.
>>

> Not for his new LS-10, Bob.
>
> You will end up in Exhibition and Racing, with the requirement for a
> yearly Program Letter. The best part is that when you take in the letter,
> they will likely look at you and say "What is that for?" Make two
> copies. One must be kept in the plane, and one sent to the FAA. So much
> for the Paperwork Reduction Act!
>
> Steve Leonard

Same story here for my first DG800B. I took the letter in (I had to go there
anyway to renew CFI, or I would have faxed it), and the FAA said "What am I
supposed to do with this?". That glider was already certificated in Calif. I
bought it and moved it to Georgia.
However--for a new glider--the program will have to be approved by the FAA
before the AW cert is approved, and that approval letter and Operating
Limitations also must be in the glider.
So read carefully the link Frank supplied especially the section on foreign
built "Racing and Exhibition" Glider category.

Good luck!

Hartley Falbaum

Google